• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are some of the roads which disappeared under the flats. Whether they could or should have been saved might be debatable.   Forest Street.   Lenton Street.  

I may have mentioned this story previously but in December 1947, my maternal grandmother was terminally ill with ovarian cancer. Mr John Barr Cochrane had operated on her at the City Hospital. He was

I find that families from war torn countries tend to want to intergrate, they know that a return to their home country as it was is nigh on impossible. I teach both adults and children english "from a

Ah! Gorritt! (The miracle that is Google!). It was called “Housewive’s Choice, and it was George Elrick who used to sing, “I’ll be with you all again tomorrow morning” to the tune of “In the Party Mood”.

Back to sleep now!

My Mum did all her shopping on the Green, with me & my brother in tow, I remember Boots with great big round disks for handles 10/12 inches with the Boots logo across the middle, I also remember Woolworths, but where was that?

Before the space was filled in (possibly the cellars of the shops) to make the garden.

boulevard_gardens_march08.jpg

AG, Faure's Dolly was the closing music of Listen With Mother, weekday afternoons, 13.45 til 14.00.  I loved that programme. Weekday routines were lunch at 13.00. Listen With Mother while mum washed up the lunch pots. Then into my pram or pushchair (complete with little hot water bottle in winter) and either a walk along Gregory Boulevard to the shops, the Forest in fine weather to sit by the bowling green or, on Thursdays, up Radford Boulevard to Garden Street.  It was bliss until I turned 4 and then Berridge b*ggered it all up!

Woman's Hour began at 14.00 but that was time to go out.

RR, Woolworths was the next building to Boot's.  Home of the beloved biscuit counter!! Still think I'd have had a glorious career there!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

AG, Faure's Dolly was the closing music of Listen With Mother, weekday afternoons, 13.45 til 14.00.  I loved that programme.

Me too.

I also remember the programme preceding it was the shipping forecast which irritated me because I wanted Listen With Mother to start. But thanks to that wait, I still remember all of  Dogger, Fisher, German Byte, Shannon, etc etc

• Upvote 2

I got a Saturday job at Woolies on Hyson Green In my last year at school. Then when I left school (hooray) I worked there full time until I started at Boots on Station Street. 
I really enjoyed working there, it was better than the Boots offices I worked in which is why I only stayed there a year but that is another story. Only time It wasn’t good was when a member of staff cut herself very badly on the bacon slicer which was as lethal as it looked. 
Goodness this has bought memories flooding back, let’s just there were characters among the customers as well as the staff, good times.

• Like 1

I loved Woolworths on Radford Road but they ruined it for me when they updated it and took out the original dark wooden counters with the glass sides. I was too small to see over the top but I was always able to locate the biscuit counter by the aroma.  Delicious.  At Christmas, I chose my cards at a halfpenny each, covered in glitter. Just loved it!

A memory just appeared in my head of a shop,on the same side as Woolworths and Boot's but further up towards Bentinck Road end.  I think it was Sandersons, kept by two little old ladies who seemed ancient to me. Mum always went there for ham off the bone. One of the old biddies would take the ham joint, on a cake stand,  from the window and carve as much as mum wanted.  Purchases were wrapped in white paper bags with the name of the shop printed in red on the front.  Like myself, mum kept paper bags to reuse and on my first day at Berridge, aged 4, my break time biscuits were wrapped in a bag from that shop!

• Like 1

Aah Woolies, Hyson Green, some of our best shop lifting was done there as kids. If the old grey matter serves me right, didn't Woolies become a Tesco? I remember, when driving for SPD., delivering to my first experience of Tesco at that place. Can recall driving round the back of Mary Potter health centre, (My Doctors) to get to the back door. Had to ring the bell for ages before some bugger would come and open up.

In the centre of the ceiling, there was a semi spherical mirror which always fascinated me. I presume it was there to aid catching shoplifters. I'm sure Ben will know and I'm sure I've mentioned it before.

Woolworths also had lights of the same shape of white opaque glass but covered by what looked like nets and with chains hanging down from them. I was so fascinated with these that on one occasion I was staring up at the ceiling and got separated from my mum. I'd only just come off reins and was put back on them!

Those were gas lights Jill. I remember them too. The chains were to turn the gas on and off. I doubt they were operational as we're too young. I remember when you paid your cash was whizzed across on a wire to a central point and then any change sent back on the same wire. I suppose they didn't trust shop floor staff.

I'd always thought that was what they must be, letsavagoo. There was a stirrup shaped metal handle on the end of the chains. Like yourself, never saw them in operation. There's something I'm still too young for!!!

Not sure when the Woolworth building was constructed but, looking at the earlier photo of what preceded it, much older property was demolished to make way for it.

Beech's on the corner of Radford Road and Gregory Boulevard (opposite the empty space) also had the overhead cash system. It used to scare me because of the noise it made and I'd start screaming if mum tried to take me in there!

Who would have thought ''Woolworths'' would go.......Went in 5 of those stores on my travels.....happy days....

Always enjoyed working the so called ''Rough areas'' when working in retail and retail security,,,reckon thats why i was always inundated with Work.

When young and working for Marsdens the Bosses always knew i would go anywhere,,,Radford,,Lenton,,St Anns,,Meadows,,Sneinton,,Basford,,Bulwell ,,were among my favourites,,,and it was good for me,,the customers would soon tell you if you did owt wrong.,,likewise if you pleased them...........The Marsdens set up expanded into self service and became part of Moores stores in the North East,,being young and keen i travelled a large part of the country with them,,and again enjoyed the rougher areas of many other Cities and Towns,,,loved parts of the West Midlands especially,,,.........Places like Alum Rock,,Smethwick,,Bilston,,Darlaston,,Dudley,,Wednesbury,,Walsall,,Moxley,,great people with funny accents.

20 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Always enjoyed working the so called ''Rough areas'' when working in retail and retail security,,,reckon thats why i was always inundated with Work.

When young and working for Marsdens the Bosses always knew i would go anywhere,,,Radford,,Lenton,,St Anns,,Meadows,,Sneinton,,Basford,,Bulwell ,,were among my favourites,,,

Were those areas regarded as "rough" back then, Ben ?    Today - yes; but in the 50s and 60s I would've thought they were respectable and decent.

Lets say,,,back then'''..........they were all three,,,dependent on what you consider rough''..............substitute 'rough'' for 'down to earth'' would probably be nearer the mark...........

Know what you mean, AG.  Having caught measles during the severe winter of 62/3, I was left with a disposition to develop bronchitis around November time. It was always good for a trip to Forest Dean and 2 weeks off school!!! An extra birthday present!  That meant cosy afternoons at home listening to the radio by the fire.

Thanks Stuart, always enjoyed these old to new comparisons

21 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Looks like it was 1 building back from the junction but if you compare it to the road on the right on both pictures the theatre would have been on the first piece of land next to the chemists where the gardens are now.

The Bank? on the far corner of the junction is still the same building.

The Auditorium stretched back behind the houses, now shops, on Gregory Blvd.

View from opposite side of road on this link.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/57164

jGsd4mn.jpg

As well as the bank, the building on the extreme right looks like it could still be there also.

Love to know what's written on the walls of the old shop on the left..

Called Holmes, All Colours? Is the best I can do with my zoom/diction! capabilities!