I didn't know the chap in question but there is also an Alan Holmes listed in the cast. Brother, perhaps?

I do know they swept the board with Return Journey. They may have performed an extract from Under Milk Wood in earlier years, minus Polly Garter! They must have been good as they were up against the Cooperative Arts Theatre Senior Group and there were some highly talented people in that, including Su Pollard who was and is a brilliant serious actress.

I was in Under Milk Wood myself, as one of the children, when it was performed by Max Bromley's group. It's still a favourite. Llareggub, indeed!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are some of the roads which disappeared under the flats. Whether they could or should have been saved might be debatable.   Forest Street.   Lenton Street.  

I may have mentioned this story previously but in December 1947, my maternal grandmother was terminally ill with ovarian cancer. Mr John Barr Cochrane had operated on her at the City Hospital. He was

I find that families from war torn countries tend to want to intergrate, they know that a return to their home country as it was is nigh on impossible. I teach both adults and children english "from a

Cooperative arts theatre, Janice Gentry and dancing, Su Pollard who used to pop round to the Gentry's occasionally and Berridge school lots of parallels but little knowledge of the names I threw out in the Berridge forum. This leads me to conclude that me and my lot were from the Radford Road, Forest Fields side of Hyson Green and you and others were from the Gregory Boulevard, Nutthal Road side of Hyson Green.  This seems to be confirmed by the shops you used being all down that end whilst we used to shop on The Green. 

My family lived on Bobbers Mill Road and, in those days, people tended to do their shopping on a daily basis rather than buy everything at the same time. Supermarkets were unknown or in their infancy.  The shops at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Road offered everything one needed for most days and Hyson Green was, generally, a place visited on Saturdays for Woolworth, Boot's, etc.

A trip into Nottingham was rare, although I went every Saturday morning for ballet lessons from an early age.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

The shops at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Road offered everything one needed for most days

Is that the shops on Alfreton Road, opposite The Grand ?  My grandma who lived on Grimston Road (a 2-minute walk away) never liked those shops for some reason; she always went to either Hartley Road or Denman Street.

The only really local shop she used was Wealthall's.

Those are the ones, CT. My mum tended to use a Grocer's on the other side, opposite the fish and chip shop. He delivered...a bit like our Ben but groceries only!

Wealthall's was patronised by most people in the area as their produce was good.

I've just remembered the other shop local to Grimston Road. It's now been converted back to housing, but this white building on the corner of Grimston/Churchfield Lane used to be a grocer/sweetshop, and I remember going there with my grandma in the hope that she'd buy us ice cream or chocolate.

https://goo.gl/maps/58nDXL6vLxYLN9ZQA

Jill,

Did know of a girl, Patsy Taylor, who lived on the corner of Bobbers Mill Road/Fretwell Street, at the house opposite the beer off-licence?

There were also two sisters who lived opposite, perhaps a little higher up, who had a small dog. Date around 1960.

Yes, Alpha. The Taylors lived almost opposite us.

Patsy's father, I think, was Frank Taylor. Many years earlier, my mum's older sister, Edna, caused a few problems with Frank. Edna was extremely good looking and had a string of admirers and would-be suitors of whom Frank Taylor was one. He begged her for a date and she finally agreed to meet him but then stood him up. She did this numerous times until Frank's mother came steaming across the road to tell my grandmother what she thought of her daughter's heartless behaviour!

The two who lived further up I may remember. When you say opposite, do you mean on the other side of Bobbers Mill Road? Any idea of a name?

Alpha, the only dog I can think of fitting that description was Tammy who belonged to Jenny and Eric Smith. The Smith family lived at 184 Bobbers Mill Road and had two children: Susan, born around 1948 and Philip, born around 1950. I was very young when Tammy was around but I remember the dog quite well.

Susan Smith didn't have a sister but, I suppose, the other girl could have been a friend.

Thank you Jill, you've been very helpful.

I don't think Susan was the girl I was thinking of. The girl I thought that could have been her would have been 3-4 years older.

I recall Patsy was married and pregnant, and still living at the same house, but I believe the marriage didn't last long.

Thanks again, Alpha.

@Alpha

I am in touch with lady whose maiden name was Glennys Wells, born 1945 and lived on Grundy Street. Patsy was her best friend and she knew many of the other girls in the area. If anyone knows the identity of the person in question, she will. I'll ask her. Watch this space!

@Alpha

The only two sisters Glennys can remember who lived approximately where you indicated were the Sheeran sisters Kathleen, born 1948 and Christine (whose name was actually Carole) born 1946. She cannot remember them having a dog. The names are not known to me but I would be very young at the time.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:04 PM, jonab said:

The Radford Road area was pretty disgusting when I was around Hyson Green (living on Sherwood Rise, working at Gerard's, Wilkinson St. 1974 - 78). It seems not to have improved.

Jonab it was a great area in the 1940s/50s/and early 60s. So safe and decent hardworking people. The demise came with the Hyson Green flats and the great benefits system.. Although they replaced substandard housing people worked because they had to and anyway that is what you did. Apart from that area where Asda is now the rest of Hyson Green was a good area with decent hard-working, law abiding clean people.  So sad to see the decline over the years .

• Like 1

Welcome GCW. You are absolutely correct that the area was perfectly safe and respectable for decades. My mother knew the area from the 1920s and often told me of the people who lived in the large houses which later became flats and bedsits. It is a terrible shame to see it today.

• Like 1
On 5/24/2020 at 12:52 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

A memory just appeared in my head of a shop,on the same side as Woolworths and Boot's but further up towards Bentinck Road end.  I think it was Sandersons, kept by two little old ladies who seemed ancient to me. Mum always went there for ham off the bone. One of the old biddies would take the ham joint, on a cake stand,  from the window and carve as much as mum wanted.  Purchases were wrapped in white paper bags with the name of the shop printed in red on the front.  Like myself, mum kept paper bags to reuse and on my first day at Berridge, aged 4, my break time biscuits were wrapped in a bag from that shop!

I remember paper bags with biscuits in and when we arrived at school we would put them in a big wicker basket .Jill

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Welcome GCW. You are absolutely correct that the area was perfectly safe and respectable for decades. My mother knew the area from the 1920s and often told me of the people who lived in the large houses which later became flats and bedsits. It is a terrible shame to see it today.

Thanks Jill. Looks a very interesting site. When I was about 3 I was in a very busy Woolworths on a Saturday afternoon with my Mum and Dad . Somehow ( as they were very careful parents )  I wandered off and walked all the way to Birkin Avenue to a little sweet shop on the right hand side going up to Bentick Road  as I wanted some sweets which were on ration then. They recognised me and  looked after me until my distraught parents came on a desperate hunch. I can remember doing it even now !  I was apparently small for my age then but no-one stopped me.  Imagine what would happen   nowadays walking that particular path  !!  

• Like 1

Jill 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:39 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Correct, Ian. It was indeed!

Interesting photo of the theatre. My grandfather, born in 1883, lived on Bridlington Street and Birkin Avenue. He knew the theatre well.  The much older building to the left side of the frame was clearly demolished to make way for Woolworths.

Jill the building on the left was Boots and Woolworths was next to it, now a food store. Where the gap is going down from Boots was an alleyway to the back of the Grand. Then a lovely cake shop . Of course sold cooked meat and pies. I think there was a cafe at the back too. Then the lovely Theatre Royal style Grand cinema ( was a music hall )  then a shoe shop , then butchers , then Staddons big store on the corner. 

• Like 1

I, too, got separated from my mum in Woolworths on Radford Road when I was very tiny. My mum had a cream mohair coat. They were very popular at the time. I'd been hanging round the biscuit counter, as usual. I just followed a familiar looking mohair coat and when the wearer turned round it wasn't my mum! Never been so frightened in my life!  I thought I'd never see her again! I'd just come off the reins. After that, they went back on again!

• Like 1
On 10/15/2017 at 10:08 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Dont think any reason to delete Rog,you didn't knock or even critisive anyone, there is an underlying theme but it depends how others react,

Nottstalgia is in the main about how things used to be,

Nottinham like most places today multicultural, and we need to embrace it, our kids and grandkids don't give it a second thought,, 

I think the problem is people don't take the first step, ie, hello,good morning with a smile, not hard is it

Its not the multicultural thing its the crime that bothers people.