There appear to be some letters missing from the writing in the wall but. ORKING  AN'S  RUSS. is easy enough to suss out, especially as the word TRUSS appears further down.  Possibly a shop selling surgical appliances. Anyone with an old Kelly's or White's directory should be able to clarify.

I think someone has already highlighted some of the letters as they stand out too much in the photo, there was a Mapperley photo which had also been similarly touched up.

I think there's an apostrophe on the shop name (unless it's a brand name) HULME'S

_AIR_YE

ALL COLOURS

FOR ALL AGES

Bottles _ _ _ _ _ _

WORKING MAN'S

TRUSS

SELF FITTING RELIABLE  (presumably trusses for non working men are fitted for them by others???)

Here's an enlarged snip, it blurs too much if elarged more,

83gOmEu.png

19 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

https://flashbak.com/splendid-20th-century-pictures-of-british-woolworths-383793/  

Some wonderful photos on here, showing those very lights in operation and the old fashioned counters with the glass edges. I can almost smell the biscuits!

Visible in a couple of the interior photos is a reminder of the days before self-service, when every counter had a separate assistant and cash register. 

FOR ALL AGES

I'll wager they didn't do purple, pink and turquoise, so often seen today!

Radford Road Woolies was L shaped (albeit inverted). The L shaped bit must have run behind Boot's. Round that corner were such things as firelighters, companion sets and bundles of sticks. It had a distinctive smell, that corner.

At Christmas, the loose cards were piled up on a counter just before the right turn into that corner.  If I shut my eyes, I can still walk through the doors of Woolies, past the row of parked coachbuilt prams and go right round the store.  It was never the same once it went self service.

23 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

member of staff cut herself very badly on the bacon slicer

Boots sold bacon? 

HAIR DYE.

I wonder if the Bottles is;

Bottles filled,,,,(bring your own back for a refill?)

I'm sure they may have done that. In those days and for many years afterwards, people took their own containers to be filled with whatever they needed, whether it be Friday night faggots* and gravy or loose sherry. It is only recent generations who can't/won't make do and mend or reuse existing materials, thus creating the throw away society and its ensuing mess.

However, in the case of the writing on this particular wall, there appear to be indications of perhaps two sizes of bottle, hence:   /    &    /

The prices are missing....but I'm sure our Ben can tell us what they were!

*for the benefit of overseas readers Faggots, in this context, refers to a savoury meat dish which vegetarians like myself don't eat!  Just thought I'd clear up any confusion.

• Like 1

I'm guessing Working Man's Truss is one thing on the wall.

If yer on a wall, yerd need a truss!