Hello everyone,

I'm Nicola and have lived in Nottingham all my life. I have loved looking through the posts!

My maiden name was Mills, and unfortunately I have no one left alive on my Dad's side of the family to ask about family history and their stories etc.

My Grandma was called Evelyn Handley and she was born in St.Anns. She married Joseph Mills is 1932. My Grandad had a greengrocer's shop on St. Ann's Well Road before moving to West Bridgford in the late 1950s. They had several children - John, Michael, Robert, Margaret, Dennis, and my Dad William (Bill). There are a couple of rogues amongst them!

If anybody remembers them I would love to hear from you! 

Welcome to this friendly site Nicola,there's plenty of St Anns memories on here and no doubt someone will be along shortly with knowledge of the area,once again a very warm welcome

Rog

Hi Nicola, welcome to the Forum, I'm glad that you can find lots of interest in the posts, keep trawling, there's a lot to get through.

I grew up in St Ann's and left in 1955. I knew quite a few of the shops in the Commercial Square area,  do you know if your Grandfather's shop was on St Ann's Well Road or on one of the many streets running g off it? I have had a quick scan of Kelly's Directory from 1956 of St Ann's Well Road but can't see any property occupied by Joseph Mills there.

The website recommend by Cliff Ton is definitely worth browsing.

Eyup Nicola!

Sit dahn an' I'll put kettle on!

I grew up in that area during the 50's, but more the Gordon Road/Pym Street side.

Hope you enjoy the posts on here, they are really very interesting and they're a really helpful lot if you've got a question. (Don't tell em I said so. D'unt want 'em gerrin' big 'eaded).

Ay up Affer, I used to live on Garnet St off Gordon Rd from 48-54. Attended Blue Bell Hill school.

HI  Nicola "WELCOME" I was born in St Ann's lived there 23 years  if you want to ask any questions about St Ann's I will be happy to answer them (if I can) you mention your family name "Mills" where I lived (Norland Road) their was a large family called Mills, I went to St Ann's board school and there was a John Mills in my class. Don't know if he was any relation to you. 

Any way enjoy Nottstaligia.

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

HI  Nicola "WELCOME" I was born in St Ann's lived there 23 years  if you want to ask any questions about St Ann's I will be happy to answer them (if I can) you mention your family name "Mills" where I lived (Norland Road) their was a large family called Mills, I went to St Ann's board school and there was a John Mills in my class. Don't know if he was any relation to you. 

Any way enjoy Nottstaligia.

Thank you so much for replying :)

Yes, my family were large and I did have an Uncle John. He was born in 1932 and was quite a rogue . I was told by my Dad (before he died in 1989) that Uncle John was involved with an arson, possibly at Hopewells,? My Dad was the baby of the family by quite a number of years and was born where  my Grandad had a green grocers/ fish mongers at 214 St Anns Well Road. 

Any information would be great!