There was a program on Notts TV earlier today and one of the questions was "are students an asset or a burden to Nottingham?

what are your thoughts if any

Rog

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The City Council used to clean the streets in the middle of the night years ago, I remember in my teens staying til Goose Fair closed on the Saturday night and walking down Mansfield Road with my pals

Much bigger problem in Nottingham Rog, I think every university town or city has these problems. I would make a start by making them pay council tax, why should they be exempt ? If they can

I was a student twice. First time, studying externally over 4 years. Did I go out on the binge every night? No chance. Had to be at work the next day! Spare time was for studying. It was tough but I e

Full agreement Brew but when they leave all of their unwanted good are left in front street or dumped, what does that cost the council.  The mess they leave town center in after drinking all night again cleaned by city council, I am talking about Newcastle but is seems to be the same in every university city.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

There was vomit this morning on Parliament St, King St, and Long Row.... The early hours..... No 12 noon ! 

• Like 1

St Helens is not a university town but it is  my nearest town.  It too is left in a mess after lots of mostly young people descend on it. They are not generally students.

What annoys me mostly is that the owners of the bars and takeaways which  sell the stuff which ends up on the pavement outside their premises, make no effort to clean it up themselves.  Most of us will have seen the way that continental and mediterranean countries have a very different attitude and simply wash down all 'sidewalks' every morning.

Col

• Like 1

Exactly Col. One dollop this morning was actually in the corner of a shop doorway. 

Yes, and for all our denigrating of Europe, they at least keep their main city and town centre streets clean. 

Switzerland actually have cleansing tankers round most city streets spraying the pavements and then brushing it with a swirling thing.

• Like 1

The City Council used to clean the streets in the middle of the night years ago, I remember in my teens staying til Goose Fair closed on the Saturday night and walking down Mansfield Road with my pals to go to the Beachcomber where there was an all-nighter going on.  The Council were washing Mansfield Road at that time, but perhaps it was only because of Goose Fair.  As it happened, our little crowd didn’t have enough money to get in the Beachcomber as we’d spent too much at the Fair, we ended up hanging around outside til daylight then going home.  Couldn’t go home any earlier as we’d all lied to our parents, saying we were staying at each others homes. Got away with that in those days as nobody had a phone!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I don't think they bother cleaning anywhere these days. All the soak away grates on Hucknall Rd are chocked full, with no chance of any rainwater getting through .

• Like 1

Sadly, most local councils are very cash strapped these days due to central govt. cuts, plus being loaded with a lot of stuff which central Govt doesn't want to take on because it is only going worse.  ( Social Care for e.g.)

Bit political though.. so I'll say no more on it.  ;)

Col

• Like 1

Hey Lizzie!  We could well have been at the same All  Nighters around 67/8.

Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck.. Chris Farlowe... Zoot Money and many others.. not to mention all the great records.  Amazing times..

We used to stagger out into the blinding daylight and make our way to a newsagent near the old Bus Station in Huntingdon St.  Just about the only place open.  A pint of milk went down very well.

We'd usually then go to the top of the multi story car park in Trinity Square and play cricket with a stick and a pebble until the first bus arrived.

I have been known to walk home to Bestwood from town though, both  after all nighters or just late..  Not that far....  Even done it from the Boat Clubs.

On a similar subject.. I always loved the smell of the Beachcomber.  Mix of booze, stale perfume, stale bodies, tobacco etc..  Not exactly a 'nice' smell, but one which just meant music, excitement and good times.

Doubt I could cope with it now though...

Col

I don't think you can just blame student's for the mess (vomit scoby- do)  I used to own a salon in Hucknall and next door to me was a chippy, at the time we lived in the flat above the shop, the noise, filth and other unmentionables that used to go off in my door-way are adult only reading, yes I like a drink but the state some adults get into is unbelievable.

PS

I have heard the term legless was not sure what it meant till the other day my neighbour arrived home from the pub and his legs must have been made of jelly master and myself tried to help him, but each time we stood him up he went back down. Now if he was a student I would have under stood but at 80+ which my neighbour is I just can not get my head around it.

Oh! we did finely get him indoor after about 40 mins.

One of the main topics bought up on the program was the amount of money it costs to police these students,the highest cost is from when the universities start at the end of summer going through to Christmas when the new students seem to go crazy having their new found "freedom" without their parents to guide them,then there is the sudden exposure to the drug scene and all the trouble that goes with that, funnily enough one of the panel members on the program stated it was not the local youths that needed policing as they were kept in "check" either by their parents or their peers.

I can only speak about Lincoln city,while the student bring in a lot of money to the local shops it is greatly outweighed by the cost of cleaning up after them whether it be cleaning the streets after a (good) night out the cost to the local government to provide extra police at night and weekends or the amount of rubbish that is left by them after term time that usually falls to the councils cost (ultimately the council tax payer) to clean up and dispose of

Rog

• Like 2

Much bigger problem in Nottingham Rog, I think every university town or city has these problems.

I would make a start by making them pay council tax, why should they be exempt ?

If they can afford to get boozed up every weekend they can afford to pay their way in life like all the rest of us.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Good point Mike,they use the services that some of the council tax pays for,,police,street cleaners,bin men etc so why not charge them, another section of the community that thinks we owe them

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Attitudes towards students isn't a new thing. Whatever you think of them, through the years students have always upset some of the older generation.  Most Nottstalgians will remember the student protests of the 60s and 70s (and might even have taken part). Everyone else at the time thought the students were idiots and should've been studying, not complaining about Vietnam or Chairman Mao.

• Like 2

Not saying that students are idiots Kev, far from it but I think some of the so called problem lies with these students coming from different parts of the UK and in some cases different parts of the world (although foreign students tend to be better behaved from what I have seen) therefore are unaware of the "way we do things around here" different cultures if you like to their own, perhaps they behave differently in their home cities where there is a possibility of someone knowing them but in a different city the chances of that happening are a lot less therefore no one to keep them in check as it were

Rog

• Like 1

UK students as a % of total UK citizens in that age group is approximately 35%. Therefore it's reasonable to assume twice as many young folk out carousing, vomiting everywhere and generally making a nuisance of themselves and needing policing are NOT students.

There's always been students, there's always been those who moan about them and it will probably always be so. Students bring a benefit to their local economies and also provide many jobs off the back of that. Why knock them?

• Like 1

That 35% isn't at home bringing up a young family, or even out with girlfriends and workmates.

They have money in their pockets, and are let loose for the first time in their lives in a strange town most likely. 

• Like 2

Wasn't knocking the students TBI, just saying what the debate was bringing up on Notts TV from councillors, ex police,general public,I know they bring money into the local economy as I stated in one of my posts but one comment from the program was the costs involved in policing and cleaning up after them outweighs what they put into the economy,  no doubt we all have different experiences with student either directly through friends/relatives or indirectly through stepping through the mess they leave behind or being josstled in the high street when trying to navigate passed a crowd of them,

Rog

• Upvote 1

TBI / trogg, nobody is knocking students, as we all know that they enhance the economy, and we all know it's not all of them. 

As in every walk of life , it's the small minority that ruin things for the rest. My gripe is not with students, as in my formative years, I have been known to imbibe in the odd pint, stumble occasionally, even be obnoxious at times. My gripe is with the council who seem completely obsessed with ignoring the needs of the many good, honest, hard working salt of the earth people who inhabit this once fair city, and are bending over backwards to appease every obscure minority who turn up cap in hand for free handouts!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On the subject of students,,my last four hours have been in the company of many foriegn ones mostly north africans,,and must say its been a pleasure,,in contrast to my morning clientele,, with local home growns,

In all fairness, I don't think it's relevant, as the foreign students in the main, are more well behaved, more respectful, and far more grown up than some of ours. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

are bending over backwards to appease every obscure minority who turn up cap in hand for free handouts!

Make ya mind up Fly

I have Ben , but you've lost me there !

I said in one of my posts that foreign students do tend to be better behaved than our home grown ones,is it a case of foreign students come here to study/learn and some of our home grown ones just see going to university in another town/city as freedom from the guided existance provided by their family,in other words they come and please themselves what they get upto without being answerable to their parents and see themselves as untouchable because they are "students"

Rog

• Upvote 1