56 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

That 35% isn't at home bringing up a young family, or even out with girlfriends and workmates.

They have money in their pockets, and are let loose for the first time in their lives in a strange town most likely. 

That 35% is not required to do that FLY. It's a free world with a choice for youngsters to do as they please. I've read many posts from folk on here who, as youngsters went out and spent a great deal on having a fantastic time and bugger the consequences. Only thing is many of those folk were'nt students. Or am I wrong ;)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The City Council used to clean the streets in the middle of the night years ago, I remember in my teens staying til Goose Fair closed on the Saturday night and walking down Mansfield Road with my pals

Much bigger problem in Nottingham Rog, I think every university town or city has these problems. I would make a start by making them pay council tax, why should they be exempt ? If they can

I was a student twice. First time, studying externally over 4 years. Did I go out on the binge every night? No chance. Had to be at work the next day! Spare time was for studying. It was tough but I e

I think the 'sudden burst of freedom" mentality is perhaps the main reason students do what they do.

When they arrive in their new university town, it's the first time they've been out of sight and control of their parents. Consequently they go mad and do everything they were told not to do.  Eventually it wears off and they calm down.

• Like 1

Of course you're not wrong TBI. I can't fathom out what the argument is about. 

Your not wrong TBI,,,,lads of my ilk who left school at 15 or 16, had a terrific time in the town,,,don't remember vomiting though,  well not until i was home anyway,,,

• Like 1

Btw TBI, I'm afraid it's not a free world that we currently live in, and youngsters, or anyone else for that matter CANNOT do exactly as they like. There are laws for everybody, and unwritten laws of common decency, but I'll repeat that I'm NOT against students. It's the inept City Council. 

• Like 1

Rog, how can anyone possibly know how foreign students behave unless the're close to them? How many do you know? Unless you are their keeper you can't know what they may or may not get up to. Do students from different countries all behave the same? Where is the logic that moving to another town gives English students free rein but foreign students moving to our country behave themselves?

I've known many students over many years, can't say they ever gave the impression they felt  'untouchable' as students, quite the reverse, same as it ever was, they get fed up of being moaned about.

Oh God, here we go ! Re read the posts, and NOBODY is calling foreign students or anyone else for that matter!

• Like 1

Which is more or less what I was saying CT. the sudden realisation that they are free from a (sort of) restrictive home life where their actions are carefully monitored to suddenly be free to do whatever they please as they see it but to our (should we say older )eyes they've gone feral, once again as I said in an earlier post the police seem to have more "problems" with new students from the beginning of term until round about Christmas when they learn to control their alcohol intake and settle down to a (slightly) more mature lifestyle,either that or they no longer have the money to spend on alcohol

Rog

Sorry FLY, I must be reading a different thread...lol

There was a thread sometime back about students having wrist bands on during freshers week. The same sort of commentary followed. Freshers week is and has always been a time where revelry is at it's peak for the reasons mentioned. That's a one-off, when that's out of the way, things settle down. I thought the thread was about students in the wider sense.

No TBI, it's just different peoples interpretation of things. 

We had a student house in Loughborough for a number of years, we bought it when our eldest son was in his first year at Uni there and began looking around for a house to rent with his new mates.  It worked out well for us until a group of Chinese students rented it. At the end of their tenancy we went in to prepare for the next lot and were greeted by a very dirty house full of rubbish to clear.  They  must have been going back to China with only hand luggage as they left all their Uni course work, text books and lots of clothes, including a very nice pair of Christian Dior trousers which were so tiny I knew of non-one who would appreciate them as a gift!  Had to replace all the white goods and beds too.  They were total scum and far less disrespectful of someone else’s property than any of the British students we housed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

That's another side to the story then Lizzie, and can fully appreciate your disgust. It must have been heartbreaking.

Did they go out, get drunk and be sick though ? LOL only joking !

No idea FLY.  I usually kept my head down when I visited that house, just in case I got an ear-bashing from the neighbours about the behaviour of the students who were paying us rent. 

No they probably wouldn't FLY, which is my point about not knowing what foreign students are like unless you are close to them. Chinese students on the face of it tend to be quiet, keep themselves to themselves and don't generally go binging or creating nuisances. They could be used as examples of good behaviour, unless you've had experiences like Lizzie's. 

• Like 1

Fly I thought as you that the thread was about students so I think it was the wrong place for your gripe about the city council , which I agree with you on. But I thought politics is banned so I will not get involved with it , if you would like to meet some time as I am more than willing to discuss that topic with you, I think you will find we have many areas of agreement. As for students I have a grandson who is in his 3rd year ,when he started I think he was like most other students happy to be away from parents watchful eye and not to listen to granddads advice. Like many of us on starting work, we made mistakes , and paid for it. Soon he settled down ,the same as most others, with the realisation that if he drank he went hungry. We all, well most of us, made mistakes so let us not be too hard on those that make the same mistakes now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

TBI, I don't want to get embroiled in a long running argument, but I'm certain that many residents of Beeston would think differently.

• Like 1

That's why I've never rented to students, too many horror stories from other landlords I know. I'm not the sort to take kindly to having my property abused.

• Like 1

TBI, if I related every one of my alcohol fuelled pranks, escapades and adventures on here, plod would be round in seconds.

Yes, I enjoyed myself immensely right up till about 50, then one day I found myself chasing Leicester City fans prior to a match at Filbert St, and suddenly thought... I'm too old for this ! 

• Like 1

Foreign students in Lincoln tend to be fairly courtious and polite and reasonably quiet,thats not to say they aren't a pain in the ar$e when they are in their own room,one of the Chinese student told me at the beginning or term that they are ambassadors for their country and need to show their hosts (the UK) they are a respectful people,might have been a load of propaganda who knows, when I was in Lincoln on Thursday on one of my trike rides I happened to be in the "student quarter" riding towards the Brayford pool, there was a few immature comments from some of the students and some quite friendly comments from others who were interested in my form of transport, I suppose it;s like all other walks of life,it's the minority who spoil things for the rest

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, catfan said:

Students enjoying "Fresher's Week" My Ar$e.

Those police could and would want to be better employed fighting real crime not stupid irresponsible pranks,how much did it cost the council for the police to attend that? the cost of which will ultimately be passed down to the council tax payer, are the fines the student recieved going to pay for repairs to the wall or end up in Trent university coffers?

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's all very well pulling up an article about some students being stupid and getting the wrong side of the police. How many articles could be highlighted, showing criminal and irresponsible behaviour from Nottingham's young, who were not students? You could go on forever. The amount of money spent policing students must be a drop in the ocean compared to Nottingham's delinquent non-student populace, many examples of which are posted and commented on here frequently.

I can understand the point about the effect of student housing on local residents though. I'm glad I don't live in Beeston or Lenton.

Too bleddy right...lol.. noisy, mucky boggers

Whilst I'm generally very pro-student, I can fully accept the down-side. My points have all been in response to students being targeted as a separate problem, ignoring the fact that non-student youngsters are a bigger problem.

• Like 1

I was a student twice. First time, studying externally over 4 years. Did I go out on the binge every night? No chance. Had to be at work the next day! Spare time was for studying. It was tough but I enjoyed it and, in any case, I'm far too anti social to want to attend university the conventional way!

Second time was a one year post graduate course which meant full time attendance at lectures. Hated it but ploughed through it successfully.

• Like 3