• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The City Council used to clean the streets in the middle of the night years ago, I remember in my teens staying til Goose Fair closed on the Saturday night and walking down Mansfield Road with my pals

Much bigger problem in Nottingham Rog, I think every university town or city has these problems. I would make a start by making them pay council tax, why should they be exempt ? If they can

I was a student twice. First time, studying externally over 4 years. Did I go out on the binge every night? No chance. Had to be at work the next day! Spare time was for studying. It was tough but I e

I have no idea what it is, I didn't watch as soon as i saw square bob or whatever it is but thought I'd post the link anyway.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know just how many students there are at the two universities nowadays, as a taxi driver told me the other night that there were over 100, 000. That sounds a bit steep to me, but I wouldn't be surprised.

According to Wiki (which may  not be gospel) Trent University has nearly 30,000 students, and the proper University has around 33,000.

In my book that doesn't add up to more than 100,000. But I'd trust Wikipedia more than I'd trust a taxi driver.

Thanks Cliff, they were about the numbers I thought. Thanks.

Crikey, I thought there were only about 40,000, which is plenty.   Oh well, a friend of ours is building student accommodation in Nottingham now.  He’s sorted students out in Leeds and needed another challenge!

It’s all very well but their term is only 30 weeks long, the city’s nightspots can’t survive for the other 22 weeks in the year. 

• Upvote 1

I assume that they do Lizzie, as I suppose a good few are local. Plenty of scope for future development then. I hope he makes a tidy sum !

He reckons, and I agree with him, that by building student accommodation it frees up houses, such as in Lenton, for families.  That can’t be a bad thing.  Too many people have too many complaints about the number of students in our city but in my opinion they are good for the economy, but at the same time I wouldn’t want a house full of students next door to me. 

• Like 1

Precisely, they're spending must add millions to our local coffers. Agree re Lenton too. Keep the students on campus and under supervision. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

"If you don't know your rights, you don't have any?"

If you don't know the chemical formula for oxygen, you won't be able to breathe?  :wacko:

When I was a student, many moons ago, I was more concerned about getting my assignments in on time. Maybe that's because I also worked full time!

You surprise me, Phil. I'd have thought a chap like you would have the complete set: peak at the front, peak at the back and one with a peak at each side.  I'd also expect you to have the sartorial decorum not to wear any of them! :P

I’ve just seen a video of a bunch of protestors marching from the Forest to presumably the Market Square. It’s strange that they are using umbrellas to protect them from the rain but not masks and distancing to protect them from the virus. Double standards I think.