Good discussion this morning on Notts TV about Nottingham being one of the most polluted cities in the UK, is this right? I was wondering because a lot of the city is closed to motor vehicle traffic and with the new gas buses and electric trams (when they're working) I'd have thought pollution would be quite low,at first I thought it could be industry but there is hardly any left in the city now so what's causing it?

Rog

Apparently it's true. Just checked real time pollution site (24/10@15:00) and:

Sheffield 21

Stoke 22

Birmingham 21

Leicester 15

NOTTINGHAM  34

Strangly some of  the highest pollution is in coastal areas, Southamtopn for instance.

Only Norwich, London and Plymouth come anywhere near. I wonder where it's all coming from?

http://aqicn.org/map/united-kingdom/nottingham-centre/#@g/48.0705/-22.6538/5z

Exactly Brew, not much traffic in the city and what there is is mainly electric (trams) or gas (buses) no industry as such,is it blowing in from somewhere? I don't know,the figures you put up are very high for Nottingham compared to other cities of similar size

Rog,

Don't forget weather has a major effect on pollution. Also, with any comparison a snapshot often doesn't show the true picture and a series of measurements should be taken to obtain a mean average. When I checked Nottingham half an hour ago it was 12, now it's showing 29.

I should imagine atmospheric pressure or is it barometric pressure has a lot to do with it as well,low pressure would keep any pollution to the ground whereas higher pressure would send any pollution to the upper atmosphere leaving ground level fairly clean

Rog