Right, not being a tea drinker and have no wish to become one,Is tea best served from a Teapot or teabag or other device,Mrs P is an avid tea drinker and says it always tastes better from a pot, my father always put the leaves in a tea strainer and poured the boiling water over that,he sometimes used a special spoon that was like two spoons together hinged in the middle that you put the leaves in and put that in the cup and poured the boiling water over that, he would never use a tea bag

Rog

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mentioned earlier today my youngest daughter's habit of writing odd odes about the issues of making tea in our house back in the 1990s. Thought I'd share one with you anyway.  I've always been

Having always liked tea I took a visit to a tea estate whilst in Sri Lanka in 2015.  The foreman told me that I should never buy tea bags becaause they are made from the poorest quality leftovers from

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that the war of 1776 was not because America wanted independance, or because they call King George a mad fat chump, nor was it their refusal to pay more tax withou

Tea pot is best - it really does seem to taste better, and it's more conomical.  Much better than when you see someone putting a teabag in each cup when serving several people.  I like my tea really week - 'fortnight' as some people say - and Paul is only slightly better so one teabag in a pot lasts us for 4 mugs!!!!

My mum used to have one of those double perforated spoons...

When I was young, my parents always made tea using one of these but I never really understood what was happening. Loose tea from a packet was put in the bowl of this thing, then the two halves were closed, and mixed with boiling water.  Haven't seen one for at least 50 years.

3QIeMJw.jpg

• Like 3

So a Teabag in a teapot is ok,I thought you put loose tea in a pot and use a tea strainer and teabags in a cup,shows how much I know about tea.

glad you know what I was on about with the double spoon thingy Margie,I wasn't sure if I'd explained it proper

Rog

Thanks CT,I replied to Margie before I saw your picture,thats the one,me dad seemed to take it everywhere

Rog

Don't remember any Tea Bags in the early 60s when i was at 'Marsdens' when did Tea bags hit the shops?..........all the Tea was in Qtr pound packets, PG,,,Typhoo,,,Brooke Bond Divi,,,Hornimans,,,Lyons Quick Brew........then all the cheaper own brands at 1/- per Qtr........Coop had Gold Label,,Silver,,,and Red as their own brands........at Marsdens we had one called Fernwood.

Ive not drunk Tea since i was about 15,.........even the smell of it turns my stomach,

• Like 1

Remember me mam buying some teabags for me dad (mam was a coffee drinker only and dad was strictly tea) he was not a happy bunny and told me mam to take all the tea out of the bags before he would drink it,took me mam and sister all night cutting the little bags open and emptying the tea in the caddy

Rog

• Like 1

Talking of own brands who remembers the name of Coops own brands in the 50s and 60s ?............first to answer correctly give yasen a pat on ya head....

No      here's a clue............they had different names in different regions........this name was just in the Notts,Derbys,Lincs,and Leics areas

I've always loved a cuppa, first drink in the morning and mid-afternoon. Loose tea when I was a kid, Typhoo. Dad always used to bring us up a cup in bed before he went off to work early every morning. I've always done the same for my family and it's still my first job of the day.

Teabag in a cup, boiling water in, milk last..simple. Not into those fancy teas either, we like M&S and Twynings.

This thread brought back a few comical memories.  I've always been an avid tea drinker and it had to be made just so.  Had to be Ty Phoo.  Properly boiling water etc.. I did make a concession to tea bags here, but in the UK I always had loose tea in the pot.  Often used to give the late Mrs. L a hard time if she didn't do it just so.  (Just in fun). My daughter wrote a series of poems called the Tea Wars based on these fusses. :rolleyes:

For some strange reason Mrs. L always stirred anti clockwise.  I used to tell her that would ruin a good cup of tea.  She would argue up and down it wouldn't make any difference.  One time, Daughter removed the tea from a bag then put it back in the box to see what would happen.  Wasn't long before I heard the shout.  There's summat wrong with this tea!  Happy days.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Tea in anything is fine. I put a bag in a mug at home, but  when out, as long as it's in a teapot I don't mind bags or loose.

I remember as a kid in the 50's getting tea from a shop in Gordon Rd in a dark blue bag . It was Ceylon tea, and was called Flowery Pekoe Tips. Anyone else remember it ? 

• Like 1

Yes, 50's loppylugs, but I also remember my parents using it in their cafe and chippy, maybe into the very early 60's.

I grew up on Co-op 99 tea, my mum used to make it strong ! so I always put more water and milk in to make it palatable. The other offering was water or Camp coffee, not my favorite at the time.

She also would only use sterilized milk, but I got used to it I suppose, now I drink gallons of the stuff (tea that is, no more horrible stero milk)

When I married my wife didn't like loose tea so we progressed to tea bags and have for most of our adult lives, but last year we bought a nice stainless tea pot and some loose tea and occasionally sit and have an afternoon brew of two mugs each !  got to be Dilmar or Tetley though, can't stand the Aussie rubbish.

The Aussies are mainly coffee or coke drinkers but most of the poms drink tea.

Mum used to say tea bags was the sweepings up off the tea room floor Ha Ha.

Her next door neighbour was the Flowery Peko tips sales manager in the midlands, another memory as he used to bring home tea chests with it stenciled on the sides.

35 minutes ago, banjo48 said:

Mum used to say tea bags was the sweepings up off the tea room floor Ha Ha.

The tea inside tea bags consists of very fine particles, not like the loose tea, but I hope it's not just the sweepings off the floor!

I imagine once it's had boiling water poured over it, any reaction from a germ or bacteria is nullified .

Btw, my wife like very weak tea, and just making it makes me feel sick. I always say that it looks like  Horlicks.

• Upvote 1

Rog, just ensure that she hasn't put a mousetrap in it now you've told us all !

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

I imagine once it's had boiling water poured over it, any reaction from a germ or bacteria is nullified .

Btw, my wife like very weak tea, and just making it makes me feel sick. I always say that it looks like  Horlicks.

I always drink very weak tea, have since a child. My dad used to say it looks like maidens water i think that was the polite version, mum always told him to shut up saying she's just a bairn.

....... or gnat's pee!

i don't know why I bother using teabags, I think I'd be just as happy drinking milk and hot water!

• Like 1