• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mentioned earlier today my youngest daughter's habit of writing odd odes about the issues of making tea in our house back in the 1990s. Thought I'd share one with you anyway.  I've always been

Having always liked tea I took a visit to a tea estate whilst in Sri Lanka in 2015.  The foreman told me that I should never buy tea bags becaause they are made from the poorest quality leftovers from

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that the war of 1776 was not because America wanted independance, or because they call King George a mad fat chump, nor was it their refusal to pay more tax withou

More than likely Rog..........different 'Contraction''......for different regions..........good word that had'nt heard it in relation to words before,.......take another Pat.........Jill

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Michael Booth said:

Greater Nottingham Co-Operative Society

Yes Michael.......they have had lots of different initials.............GNCS.......NCS.......CWS.....its now Co-op Group........anyone remember their stores that traded as 'Pioneer' ?

• Like 2

Tub Butter came to the shops in Barrels........along with a 'Patter'.......you can have my 'Patter'' any time Jill...............:rolleyes:

• Like 2

And where would the word ''Pioneer'' have its origins in relation to the Coop?.......next Pat on offer.............

Ok, I’m now going to hear gasps of horror from you Nottstalgian tea connoisseurs when I announce that we prefer INSTANT TEA in our house!!  ‘PG Tips pure tea Granules’ to be exact.   For some reason, certainly more than 15 years ago, I bought a jar of said tea granules.  We immediately decided that it’s far more convenient, has a taste we prefer and makes a good cuppa immediately, with no messing about with soggy teabags or wet loose tea leaves.  We always have a few tea bags handy for guests who turn their noses up at it, but some do brave it!  Only downside is that it’s more expensive.  

I've never had bad tea wherever I've been, some are better than others, and everyone buys their own favourite.

To me, it has to be PG Tips Ted bags.

5 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

And where would the word ''Pioneer'' have its origins in relation to the Coop?.......next Pat on offer.............

Wasn't the coop started in Lancashire by a political group known as The Pioneers?

Rochdale Pioneers Jill.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Wasn't the coop started in Lancashire by a political group known as The Pioneers?

Rochdale Pioneers...................another 'Pat'...................

Is there no stopping this young lady? go to the top of the class young miss and have a gold star

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Can I have a silver star for mentioning Rochdale ?

I know we've strayed away (a bit) from Tea.........but the whole Coop story is fascinating........and the Co-op around Notts non the less,...........the last Coop pioneer stores i worked in late 90s.........were Bingham and Shirebrook,.and both were in direct competion with NCS stores........Pioneer stores were supplied by the CWS  in Manchester.........whilst the NCS stores were supplied from Blenheim Lane in Bulwell.........

• Upvote 1