I suppose a lot of it is what you get used to.  My Mum never bought 'steri' and we always had full cream.  If I was offered tea in anyone else's house where they used 'steri' I would try to politely refuse, but if pressed, I would quietly 'baulk' at it. I'm not sure if semi skimmed and skimmed were even an option back then, but I do vaguely remember 'homogenised'.  I think it was full cream treated in some way to stop the cream rising to the top.

Mrs Col gets Full Cream for her morning cereal.  I can't touch it now.  It seems really greasy.

Col

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mentioned earlier today my youngest daughter's habit of writing odd odes about the issues of making tea in our house back in the 1990s. Thought I'd share one with you anyway.  I've always been

Having always liked tea I took a visit to a tea estate whilst in Sri Lanka in 2015.  The foreman told me that I should never buy tea bags becaause they are made from the poorest quality leftovers from

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that the war of 1776 was not because America wanted independance, or because they call King George a mad fat chump, nor was it their refusal to pay more tax withou

Homogenized is popular here.  I use it all the time.  Mrs. L goes for the low fat stuff , which I tend to refer to as coloured water.  I like my share of cream and buy half and half for my coffee.  Always start the day with tea though.  I doubt if that will ever change.  Only way to start the day.

I realise that being a Muurikan your good lady has not had the training in the intricate art of tea making but half & half! by giney and good heavens above what ever next?

My family were not the richest on th street DC and we always had steralised milk as well as 'ordinary' because mam could make it go further. Tip it into a big jug, add a pint of water and doubled the amount. always had it boiled on me Shredded Wheat (three in a pudding basin).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Brew said:

(three in a pudding basin).

Brew,  Remember the adverts for 'Bet he can't eat three Shredded Wheats'. Even I can manage three today, since the powers that be have down sized everything!

On 24/10/2017 at 6:33 PM, LizzieM said:

Ok, I’m now going to hear gasps of horror from you Nottstalgian tea connoisseurs when I announce that we prefer INSTANT TEA in our house!!  

ARRRRRRRRRRGH!

On 24/10/2017 at 6:37 PM, plantfit said:

Can you pour the slops on the aspadistra plant in the front parlour though Lizzie?

Rog

Only proper leaf tea, Rog - not teabag dust or, Gods forbid - instant tea!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Brew said:

Ooer look what you made me do, spot the feral apostrophe.

Righ't on, Brew! :)

• Like 1

Having always liked tea I took a visit to a tea estate whilst in Sri Lanka in 2015.  The foreman told me that I should never buy tea bags becaause they are made from the poorest quality leftovers from the grading process.

1. The plantation.  This is "High Tea"; tea grown on the higher slopes:

QI6ZgIUQ8HU7aEmgcUq2z7l3snmct4lOnzGsnDIp

2. Tea being washed and steeped to remove any bugs etc..

mSy8jTaKCtqfHCxb6iWkbV5Sh5ZMJhGzS7A-ImnC

3. Tea being dried using heat:

ATMzekyOY5qJa1iQOEnOx0uh0CmZTimUcmZ9RpUA

4. An initial grading to remove some of the dusty tea bag quality tea:

G5FX0lORAgi1At7efIEUc4Il8aV4xuEYosk1QHwg

5. Grading machine that separates the different sized leaves

9fpZaakEH4xt2bldfGoY9SJkCofwbMnyXkX2g4qg

6. Tasting:

283AbPbVs80CSYyBGoXLoqYo3GZSZ2OJIk9hPhzk

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

After a coffee in the lovely Malt Shovel on St James St, I went in a little shop just up the road, that sold Nottingham sayings. Bought 2 coasters for us, regarding drinks. They sit by our armchairs, the natives won't have a clue.

Tea Temperatures

1. Bleeden 'ell av bont me gob!

2. Ooh yer bogger, it's still ot!

3. Right, am just nippjn' t'loo.

4. Bogger, it's gone coad! 

WOT CULLER JOWONT YER COFFEH, DUCK?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

What Katyjay  didn't tell you about her visit was her magic culinary experience. When she was daan taan she bought a pork pie. Back at the Chullas we consumed it with cheese, tomato and pickled onions. Drool, Loppy, drool!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
On 24/10/2017 at 0:18 PM, Cliff Ton said:

When I was young, my parents always made tea using one of these but I never really understood what was happening. Loose tea from a packet was put in the bowl of this thing, then the two halves were closed, and mixed with boiling water.  Haven't seen one for at least 50 years.

3QIeMJw.jpg

Here's a similar device that I use when I want to make a single mug of tea.  You put the leaves in the basket and close it.  Put the device into the mug and pour boiling water over it. Leave until the correct degree of "infusion" has been reached and then remove it, complete with tea leaves.  They are the original tea-bag! :)

37912269002_0f01745ebf_h.jpg

This is another variation on the same theme.  A spice or tea ball:

37891410546_2ae9f08e33_h.jpg

• Like 5

My Grandma called them 'tea forcers' though the results were always less than sucessful. Look at the size of the first pic, theres a lot of tea in there for one cup, The tea was so strong that when it went cold I'm sure you use it as wood preservative

• Like 1

Me dad never filled his to the brim but perhaps just over half a tea spoon of tea,seemed to be enough for him although he didn't like strong tea

Rog

19 hours ago, Chulla said:

What Katyjay  didn't tell you about her visit was her magic culinary experience. When she was daan taan she bought a pork pie. 

I should have mentioned, also, that KJ also nipped into Birds and bought us two elephants feet and a cream slice. Your name was mentioned, Carnie, as we devoured them and wiped the cream from the tips of our noses and licked our finger ends.

• Like 3

Mmm  mm, Wish we had a 'Birds' in our neck of the woods.  Katyjay, Miduck. When ever you see an Elephants foot, I hope I will cross your mind for a second! :biggrin:

Once upon a time, I would have been happy with a 'Chocolate Eclair' and then Fly2 mentioned 'Elephants Foot'. No looking back since. Mind you; they are bigger.:biggrin:

• Like 2

Did they change the topping on a  elephant's foot? It is so many years since I had one, I'm not sure what it used to be like. This was a thick topping  made of very fudgy chocolate. Stuck to the roof of the mouth. I guess I was thinking it was actually chocolate spread on there. Having said that, not a crumb was left. 

• Like 1

I think they are different from the cakes from years gone by. Quicker and cheaper methods of cooking and filling them.  I can only speak for the local supermarket ones, this is were we do our main shopping; no actual bakery near us (thank goodness). These days the cake is smaller, the cream inside pumped full of air, that feels more like a mousse than cream, and the choc topping looks as if the cakes have been lined up and decorated over the top with a choc sauce filled syringe . Of course I imagine 'Birds EF are better quality? :)

You'll have to go round all the cake shops in the area Carni and do a scientific survey and taste test for us

Rog

• Like 1

Well I called in Joe's.  They had all kinds of exotic teas, but they all came in bags.  They told me they sometimes get loose teas in over the Christmas season, but said its getting harder to find.  Maybe try a regular supermarket.

Trader Joes is a small supermarket that tends to specialize in organic and gmo free products.  Along with a lot of imports like English cheeses which I like.