Get me a Job at ''Trader Joes''  Loppy............i'll get mesen over give em some old Marsdens,.trading style..............want the right money though..........lol.

• Like 1
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mentioned earlier today my youngest daughter's habit of writing odd odes about the issues of making tea in our house back in the 1990s. Thought I'd share one with you anyway.  I've always been

Having always liked tea I took a visit to a tea estate whilst in Sri Lanka in 2015.  The foreman told me that I should never buy tea bags becaause they are made from the poorest quality leftovers from

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that the war of 1776 was not because America wanted independance, or because they call King George a mad fat chump, nor was it their refusal to pay more tax withou

It has a good reputation as a place of employment Ben.  It is a bit like the old Marsdens.  You get to know the folks there.  It is not impersonal like the big supermarkets.  You can get smaller quantities of the things you like. Although they are a bit upmarket their prices seem quite competitive and they carry the best most reasonably priced dog food and biscuits I've found anywhere.  Can't speak too highly of it.

Adding a bit to the above. From what I read Trader Joe is the brother of the guy that owns Aldi.  For some reason they had a parting of the ways.  One started Aldi which is selling a lot of all natural, GMO free foods.  Joe started TJs which also prides itself on natural foods and ingredients.  TJs carries quite a bit of English cheese. Wensleydale and a Red Leicester cheese with some red pepper in it which we used to love.  For some reason they say they can't get it now.  Lots of other European cheeses.  Lots of fancy ham type meats etc/  Too many to list.  Cashiers bag your groceries and we usually end up talking about dogs when they see all the dog goodies I buy.;)  They carry all kinds of wines and lots of pre packaged veggies.  Mrs. L still goes to a regular big supermarket for a lot of stuff, but I always go to TJs for the fancy stuff.   They are usually pretty busy which shows that folks like them.  Smaller than the average supermarket which makes them seem more personal and friendly.   I guess I should be writing their commercials.  :biggrin:   But no loose tea!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They could call them Megadumps, and I'd still buy them. Although they are a long way off in size and quality to what they were years ago. ...... Mmmmmmm , now where shall I go for elevenses ?

29 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Although they are a long way off in size and quality to what they were years ago. ...

Like the old Wagon Wheels

Rog

Loppy, we get our wine from TJ's, best prices around. Do you get their little newspaper (for want if a better word) in the mail?  I put on 5lbs reading about their goodies. They are the only shop I know that has long life whipping cream on their shelves. Does not need refrigerating, great to keep in stock.

• Like 1

The Chullas always shop at Trader Joe's. 

Yeah right! But we know someone who does.

DSCN1492.jpg

• Like 2

KJ.........Yes, we get their little paper in the mail.  A cleverly designed piece of advertising material, but it is quite interesting.  Unlike most advertising junk mail.

Never heard of their long life whipping cream.  I wonder what they put in it to make it keep.  I've never come across any milk / cream that didn't need to be in the 'frig.  Unless it was canned. 

It's a small blue carton, can't think which shelf it is on, but do know it's not where you think it would be. I came across it by accident. 

• 2 weeks later...

according to a youtube video which was took from an information film of the war years to make the perfect cup of tea you have to use "freshly drawn water" and use "boiling water not boiled water" would the freshly drawn water come from a well or a tap,do you use boiling water or boiled water after the kettle has switched itself off,

Rog

I think they mean, by fresh drawn water, chuck out any water in your kettle from the last brewing, and start again with new water. I don't think you have to go and find a well. If I'm wrong, does Bulwell still have theirs, LOL?

• Like 1

Best tea I've ever tasted: Freezing cold & wet on Luneburg Heath, the square kettle (only the British army has a square kettle) in the 432 (like a tank without a gun) has just boiled, pour boiling water on a teabag in your plastic mug, put 2/3 spoons of condensed milk in & stir = nectar, had to let it cool down though as it'd burn your gob... Nowadays I use a tea bag in a teapot, pour some semi-skimmed UHT milk in a pint mug & 1/2 spoon of sugar. Every now & then I get some condensed milk just to take me back to Germany, bit naughty on the sugar intake though....  

Read somewhere that they use a different blend of tea for hard & soft water areas of the country; anyone else heard or read this?

Sure I've mentioned here before.  Tea Ceremony in the Pit Top Workshops at Linby Colliery.. Circa 1966...

( Pay attention.. this is Cultural History at it's purest..)

Take rusty 2 Gallon Iron kettle and fill with any available water.

Place rusty kettle on top of forge

Blast kettle with sulphurous coke fumes until boiling.

Add 1/4 lb of tea, 1 tin 'Connieonnie' and 1/2 lb sugar.

Stir with manky old spoon welded to bit of Iron.

Bring back to boil..

Stir again

Pour into disgusting mugs.

Throw away.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Colly you forgot the 'tot'.

Got one cold morning on Luneburg and went for a shovel job as you do, on the way back past the REME L.A.D. "Tea" someone said, whipped round and got a mug of tea and a boiled sweet, one big gulp of tea and I new what the boiled sweet was for they had only boiled ........cheap brandy, jesus nearly fell over.....

• Upvote 1