The only time I recall actually finishing a mug of the pithead tea was last shift before Christmas when the foreman poured a good inch or so of Scotch into each mug.

It cleaned the mugs quite well too....

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mentioned earlier today my youngest daughter's habit of writing odd odes about the issues of making tea in our house back in the 1990s. Thought I'd share one with you anyway.  I've always been

Having always liked tea I took a visit to a tea estate whilst in Sri Lanka in 2015.  The foreman told me that I should never buy tea bags becaause they are made from the poorest quality leftovers from

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that the war of 1776 was not because America wanted independance, or because they call King George a mad fat chump, nor was it their refusal to pay more tax withou

Working at EMEB I was called out in the wee small hours to Ridgeway (near Ambergate) to sort out an overhead line fault. The farmer at Ridgeway farm was a wartime Polish immigrant who had worked at Gedling pit. We were soon talking, reminiscing, generally putting the world to rights and drinking tea with  'Ridgeway milk'. It tasted a little strange but I put it down to unpasturised diary fresh milk. You know theres going to be a 'but' here don't you. Ridgeway milk was his euphemism for his home made gin! EMEB were not best pleased at having to send another engineer out to take me home as I could hardly stand never mind drive.

• Like 2

I have both well and tap water.  I use the well water for my beer brewing and I suppose should also use it for my tea but it is a bit of a bind having to remove the well cap and dip the well just for a mashing of tea.  Unlike in cities where water has sometimes been drunk by others in the cycle (Seven other people before you in London - they say), Caithness has fresh water drawn straight from the bogland lochs.  It is minimally processed in a new plant at Halkirk and we get it first-hand....so it make a good "Soft-water" cuppa every time.

• Like 3

Round bags,square bags,pyramid bags,loose tea,Indian tea,tea from China, different blended tea's does it make a difference what shape the bag is?

all confusing stuff for a coffee drinker

Rog

I have no idea about tea bags Rog, they all taste papery to me.  I only use leaf tea - not the expensive stuff (Except on special occasions) but the fairtrade gold leaf tea from Tesco, which I mix with small quantities of the more expensive Assam.  For a special occasion I will buy a small amount of Orange Pekoe tips.  A good quality tea that, although expensive, will not upset my bank manager.

• Like 2
On 14/11/2017 at 1:46 PM, loppylugs said:

Why not put a little pump in the well, Compo.  Then you can have the water anytime you want?  ;)

I used to have a hand pump in the well but it fell to pieces :)  A small lifting pump would do the job nicely - I shall look into it.  Thanks for the idea Loppylugs.

• Like 1