Home Thoughts From Abroad

What a lovely visit I had to my place of birth. My general impression of Nottingham city centre was, a lively place with many food outlets. The streets were clean, well, apart from huge drifts of leaves, but I actually enjoyed seeing those, coming from somewhere that doesn't have huge old deciduous trees! Being away does make you forget just how green Britain is. All the cafes were busy, lovely to have so many options to rest ones weary legs and have a chat. The buses are frequent, I rode them many times and was mainly the only cash paying customer. Most folks scanned a pass on entry, a great idea. Of course, went upstairs when on a double decker! The all-day pass was also great, quite a saving. 

For the first time ever, I went to the Royal Concert Hall and had another first. My first ever orchestral concert, The Halle orchestra, who played amongst other things, Ravel's Bolero, one of my favourites. Bliss. Walked through the Arboretum one day, through an entrance off Mansfield Rd I didn't even know about! I have always entered from Waverly St before. The dahlias were glorious.  My Radcliffe-on-Trent friends picked me up for the weekend, and took me for a walk round Rufford Abbey Park on the Saturday, then to Chapel-en-le-Frith,  through the beautiful Derbyshire countryside for Sunday lunch. Stopped along the way in Eyam for a walk round. Radcliffe has changed a lot since I left in 1977.

I can't complain about the weather during my visit, first week was very mild with quite a bit of sunshine, then some wind and odd rain, but never cold. I had my 'fix' of fish, chips and mushy peas, pork pie, huge sausage roll, picallili, pickled onions and enough tea to sink a battle ship. Oh and real bread! It is so sweet over here and does not make good toast. I have brought back for us and family, liquorice allsorts, Galaxy, Milky Bars, Battenburg cakes, shrimp cocktail crisps, Hula Hoops, Walnut whips, matchstck chocs, Penguins and Club multipacks, curry sauce packets, sausage casserole pkts, Ribena, big Christmas pud, lime and lemon marmalade, home made damson jam, salad cream. Most likely missed some things off the list, but suffice to say, my luggage was heavier going back, than coming.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Katy, so pleased that you had such an enjoyable  visit, and great that we've  had the chance  to meet you, but blimey, with all that in  your luggage I  assume that the luggage you came with will be shipped on later!

• Like 1

So pleased you enjoyed your visit home it was very nice to get a chance to meet you.

You certainly packed a lot into your visit and your bags. LOL. I go into our city regularly and

never bump into anyone I know so it was a surprise to bump into you on the Saturday in

John Lewis. 

• Like 1