Things that make you happy !

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This feeder is about 8/9ft away from where I am sitting. We had almost given up on getting a birdie photo, due to how close to feeder is to where I sit. The birds do feed, but as soon as I move my arm

Made my day to day...   The look on a landlords face when I arrived at one of his properties as he was fitting a second hand boiler for one of his tenants. It got even better when he'd stopp

I was beginning to think our Robin wasn't coming back from Carni's today but he just turned up and started feeding from the third use butter tub,1st butter,2nd planting melon seeds,3rd bird feeder

Good suggestion NBL but the reason I hard paved the garden is my dislike of gardening. I have a house at Clifton with two apple trees and continuos complaints from the tenant about disposing of the fruit. I had them drastically pruned last year but apples were still ankle deep not long ago. The tall grasses sound OK i.e no looking after so I'll look into that as an option.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Gardening, when possible always works wonders for my stability and peace of mind. It relieves pent up feelings and emotions, and seeing the results of your efforts is very satisfying.

Yep it surely is SWMBO now has three of them all from one plant she bought years ago. Her explanation for the success of them is they take absolutely no looking after, she can wait until they start to fade, give them a little water and feed bingo they are up and running again. They always flower at this time of year and bring a little colour in the dark days.

Cactus_1.jpg

Maybe this will make it move obvious what it is.

• Like 2

I've got a cactus like that but it doesn't flower at Christmas - it's usually nearer Easter.  I broke off four pieces earlier in the year and repotted them- they are all thriving on the windowsill.  They drink a lot of water surprisingly - I do it about every 2 or 3 days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It'll be a few months, then the leaf strings will be longer, and many more flowers.

Ive had them in the past, but I'm not a great fan of indoor plants, as I hate those little black midgey things that are attracted to them.

Margie, I think they are classed as a succulent, so invariably require more water.

Edited to Margie. I've not grasped this predictive text thingy. :flyswat:

• Like 1

One of the reasons SWMBO chose these apart from a bit of winter colour is that unlike poinsettia the Christmas cacti are not poisonous to cats and dogs, this of course was a concern when we had pets.

And funnily enough we have never had a midge problem or is all that about to change now I have opened me big gob:crazy:

Fly.  I think those little black midgie things are some kind of soil bug.  They lay their eggs in the soil then fly around to lay some more in any other pot that contains soil.

We found some little spike type of fertilizer plus insecticide.  Just push 'em into the soil.  Provides nutrients for the plants and kills the bugs before they can fly around your house.

Probably LL. I can cope with anything outside, but I detest those floating little devils inside. I do mind flowers though. We've always got plenty inside.

Yes, sitting up in bed during the summer with the bedroom window open, they'd jump on my iPad and flutter about.

• 2 weeks later...

This feeder is about 8/9ft away from where I am sitting. We had almost given up on getting a birdie photo, due to how close to feeder is to where I sit. The birds do feed, but as soon as I move my arm to pick my camera up, they fly away. This little Robin just made my day. 

DSCN0416.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1
On 15/11/2017 at 6:14 PM, Sarahjay said:

I like seeing birds and other wildlife in my garden. I miss them during the dark months.

Put some feeders out and the birds will come.

I was beginning to think our Robin wasn't coming back from Carni's today but he just turned up and started feeding from the third use butter tub,1st butter,2nd planting melon seeds,3rd bird feeder

P1060343.jpg

and a Chaffinch

P1060336.jpg

and a Blue Tit

P1060339.jpg

and a Starling

P1060340.jpg

It seems the old butter/seed tray/bird feeder is attracting more attention than a proper bird feeder

Rog

• Like 6

Schlumbergera truncata and S. × buckleyi are the two species of epiphytic cacti that are both commonly known as Christmas cactus. So called because they flower from late November to late January, they give a wonderful Christmas display or are an ideal Christmas gift. The Easter cactus is Schlumbergera Gaertneri - similar but later flowering.

• Like 1

Plantfit, yer bloomin' show off!  :biggrin:  Seems like even the dickie bods like Lurpak  I have just put my Lurpak into another dish, I will now fill the tub with  seeds and watch the action. :)

Just edited to add. I put a handful of Raisins out, on the table just below the feeder and a Blackbird has just stood and eaten four, downed them whole. Where's my camera.:)

• Like 1

Just a Lurpak pot screwed to the tree and seeds and what's left of the fat balls put in it, these pictures were took within half an hour of each other, I suppose any butter or spread pot will do the same job, the pot is about four feet from where I sit at my laptop

Rog

• Like 1