Recumbent tricycles

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eyup all,Just thought I would have a look on the old website and this thread caught my eye being a cyclist and a motorist,I don't really have an opinion from either point of view,I just drive/ride as

YES!!!!!!!   Idiot indeed, how very dare she   Rog    

With regard to trikes being dangerous in traffic or being seen by lorry drivers ,there is no problems at all, trikes aren't all that common on the roads in Britain therefore motorist tend to give

Shunt be on the road if they can't mate

Rog

I have just put my writeup and picture in the "My bike ride" thread

• Like 1

Don't give me the flannel Phil,younger and slimmer indeed  :rotfl:

You should have given me a shout,would have been good to have a Newark meetup,I'd have even shared me banana with you

Rog

Good to see the flag Rog. We’re all concerned for your well being if you must persist in indulging in dangerous pursuits. You were turning left Rog and I was turning right. I didn’t want to confess to my wife that I might know the person she’d just insulted!

• Like 2

Being called an Idiot is very polite to some of the things I get called Phil,dont worry about it,next time I'm going to Newark I'll give you a shout and we can have a coffee together

Rog

With regard to trikes being dangerous in traffic or being seen by lorry drivers ,there is no problems at all, trikes aren't all that common on the roads in Britain

therefore motorist tend to give them a wider berth when overtaking or hang back until there is plenty of room to overtake,I find motor vehicles that overtake me when I'm riding the trike usually pass me on the otherside of the white centerline in the road giving me plenty of room, upright or  D/F bikes are a common site on the roads and as such motorists overtake them much closer knowing their limits on how close you can get to the bike but on a recumbent that is an unknown quantity therefore the motorist is not so confident in how close they can get to you, as for being seen by lorry drivers the view they get of the trikes would be more of a birds eye view,  with them being a lot higher than an avarage family car and with recumbent trikes being longer and certainly wider than upright or D/F bikes they can hardly be missed from view, flags: I have a flag for my trike and when it's on it is about 7 feet high,hardly enough height if you want to be seen above a hedgerow along a country lane as most hedges where I live are well over 7 feet high and with the average family car drivers eyeline being no more than four feet above the ground he would stand no chance of seeing my flag over a hedge for that to happen the flag pole would have to be well above twelve feet above the ground which could cause all sorts of problems.

The biggest threat to recumbent trike riders is Horses and Dogs, horses soon get spooked when they see a flag fluttering and a trike moving along the road so low down, I always stop and take my flag off when horses are on the lanes and I make a point of saying hello to the horse rider just to let the horse know "that thing in the road" is human and no threat to it, (I suppose to a horse something coming towards them at speed could look a bit predatory)

Dogs being roughly a similar height to the trike perhaps see them as a threat and have to show their dominance by either chasing,barking or biting that unusual thing coming towards them.

I have riden many thousands of miles on my trike with no issues at all from motorists or lorry drivers and with being courtious and friendly towards horse riders and dog walker there have been no problems from them.

If you see me riding along on my trike give us a shout and have a natter, thanks for your concerns though it really is appreciated

Rog

• Like 3

Rode along it from Collingham to the showground island,up the A46 to the Norton Disney turnoff,along Wood lane then Butt lane to Norton

Also rode along the A17 from Byards Leap to Beckingham,turn right toward Brant Broughton then back home,also A607 I think it is from Fulbeck to Grantham and back to Ancaster,pick up the A17 past Cranwell to the A15 along there until the Navenby turnoff,No problems, plus plenty of lanes around the Derbyshire dams

Rog

Not at all Phil,it's just another road vehicle,you see plenty of cycles up and down the roads don't you,I feel more safe on the trike than an upright D/F bike to be honest,you must have a go on mine sometime, in a quiet car park somewhere

Rog

Some other time then Phil

Rog

Checkout youtube and look for any videos by Graham Williams,he rides the streets of London all the time on his trike,or look for Rutland water trike ride (I'm on a few of them)

Recumbents are not uncommon on the LEJOG route.  They look quite diffcult to pedal somehow.  I suppose it is the unusal riding position.  I ride my bike every morning and to be honest - it is not uncommon for vehicles to pass so closely that they touch my loose fitting jacket at the elbow as they go by.

• Like 1

This is what I'm saying about motor vehicle drivers knowing how close they can get to a upright D/F bike but are unsure about recumbent trikes so give them plenty of room,next time you see one Compo stop him and have a chat about his trike,you'll be there all day and get to have a go on one

Rog

• Like 1

That sounds like a good idea, Rog.  I sometimes see them at John O'Groats after they have completed their Land's End to John O'Groats trip.  Next time I shall have a chat with them.

• Like 1

Do you think that motorist get closer to uprights because no matter how close they can still see them and thus judge their position. Recumbents i imagine (never seen one on the road whilst driving) start to disappear as they get closer and therefore more difficult to judge.

• Like 1

Thats a good point Brew,I should imagine when on my trike my head height is roughly the same height as a sports car drivers or a tad lower, an MX5 or similar, I suppose thats where the idea of the flag would help, it would be a good idea for you to check out the youtube videos,Graham video's his rides through country lanes even through London so you get a good idea of how motor vehicle drivers give room to the recumbent,as for making the legs ache,yes to start with but after you've done some milage your legs get used to using the different muscles plus you feet are clipped into the pedals so your feet can't slip off the pedals

Rog