Recumbent tricycles

Of course it could just be good old British reserve. 'Theres a machine out there trying to eat somebody, you can see legs waving in the air'.  'I'm going nowhere near it'..  :tony:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eyup all,Just thought I would have a look on the old website and this thread caught my eye being a cyclist and a motorist,I don't really have an opinion from either point of view,I just drive/ride as

YES!!!!!!!   Idiot indeed, how very dare she   Rog    

With regard to trikes being dangerous in traffic or being seen by lorry drivers ,there is no problems at all, trikes aren't all that common on the roads in Britain therefore motorist tend to give

Of course with all the reflective stuff and flashing lights as well as fixed lights they are pretty visible,certainly attract a lot of attention when I stop for a drink or sommat to eat and don't forget with a recumbent trike you've always got somewhere to sit if all the seats are taken up outside cafes etc

Rog

• Like 1

Good man,, Checkout the ICE website  (Inspired Cycle Engineering) some videos on there as well, have a good look at the "Full Fat" version,ideal for off road terrain,(especially north Scotland  slywink)

Rog

• Like 1

Rog, I thought 'ICE' referred to 'In case of emergency'. I'd need to call that number  if I ever tried to use a trike like yours.....  I just wouldn't feel safe.  But each to their own ....

• 2 weeks later...

We passed a fellow riding a recumbent bike yesterday in Poole, for a moment I thought you were on a Tour of Britain Rog, he even had similar flags to you.  He was dicing with death a bit, as he was riding on a cycle lane but pulled out into the road to overtake a parked van, just before we got to him, he didn’t seem to check if anything was behind him either.  Anyroadup, we were talking about these bikes and my husband wants to know why YOU ride one rather than a conventional 2-wheeler.  He wonders if you’ve got a bad back .......

• Like 1

No medical problems at all Lizzie, well not like that anyway:rolleyes:, I have riden all types of bikes from racing bikes through mountain bikes old all steel Raleigh bikes and even penny farthing, there wasn't much left to try so I went for a recumbent trike,not cheap at over two grand,best thing about piloting one of these is no pressure on your wrists,elbo's and shoulders because you are not leaning on them,your middle is not squashed up like on an upright bike allowing you to breath a lot easier,no neck aches due to having to look up all the time, much more comfortable seat,very similar to a deckchair, ability to see all around you and not just that bit of road in front of you, feet clipped into pedals and handlebars around the hip area so comfort all round,no need to balance the thing either, you've always got somewhere to sit when on the trike so if all the seats are took up outside a cafe etc you can sit in the trike seat and drink your coffee etc, the guy you saw would have seen you coming up behind him through his rear view mirrors,something we all have and use all the time like you do in a motor vehicle,

Hope this has answered your questions,if you want to know more though just ask, us recumbent trike pilots could talk all day about our bikes/trikes, how boring/sad is that?

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rog, a few questions about the practicality of riding the trike, cos I'm thinking....

Do you get as good a cardio workout on a recumbent trike as on a bike? Are they OK on hilly terrain? Some steepish hills around here in the upper Trent valley. Can you sit in and get out of the trike easily? With my hip probs it is difficult getting in and out of some cars and getting my leg over a bike is difficult (why I'm considering a trike bent).

• Like 1

I get a good cardio workout on the trike and with my middle not being squashed like it would be on an upright bike it's easier on the breathing, no restriction on your diaphragm, hills are a lot slower to climb but with being in the laid back position and with being on three wheels if it gets a bit much just put the brakes on lay back and wait to get your breath back then move off again, I have 27 gears on my trike and they do go pretty low, as for getting in and out there is a technique whereby you stand with your legs either side of the center frame, reach behind and grab one side of the seat and lower yourself down, getting up there are extra handles you can buy to fit to the main frame to assist getting in and out, I don't feel any sort of pressure in the hip area though, not sure where your nearest bike shop is that sells bents but if you do find one you will find them most helpfull, check out the ICE (inspired cycle engineering) website and take a look at some of their trikes especially the Adventure model, not so laid back and low as mine, I think there are some video's on their website to give you an idea of how they perform, also check youtube and look for recumbent trike rides, theres loads of stuff on there, hope this helps,

Rog

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 10/27/2017 at 12:06 PM, philmayfield said:

Well I’ve written of a car and an aeroplane and had a near miss in a boat. I don’t think I’d better accept your  kind offer!

Eyup all,Just thought I would have a look on the old website and this thread caught my eye being a cyclist and a motorist,I don't really have an opinion from either point of view,I just drive/ride as safely and friendly as I can,not perfect but I feel safely,Looking back at some old cycling related threads/post the above quote tickled me a bit coming from the Nottstalgia driver of the year slywink

Anyroad,good to see you are all getting on well with each other

Rog

Edited to add, Sorry I should have put this in the "Speed awareness course" thread hence the reference to Cyclists

• Like 5

Thanks for the response from you all,

Terry,just to let you know the Penny is coming along steadily, I have made some pedals for it and they are now fitted and the front wheel has a full complement of spokes some original some home made, next project is a period looking saddle/seat, here's a couple of pics to be going on with

P1070117.jpg

P1070118.jpg

Rog

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Thanks for the response from you all,

Terry,just to let you know the Penny is coming along steadily, I have made some pedals for it and they are now fitted and the front wheel has a full complement of spokes some original some home made, next project is a period looking saddle/seat, here's a couple of pics to be going on with

P1070117.jpg

P1070118.jpg

Rog

Can’t see you coming down Beacon Hill Road on that somehow!

• Like 1

Hi Terry, I used a very fine hardened steel chisel,made a small slot in the end of the broken spoke, heated the hub gently using a gas blow torch, gently worked a small screwdriver backwards and forwards in the slot until I got some movement, re-heated hub and repeated the process until the broken parts came out,very satisfying feeling after a couple of hours work.

Currently trying to work out some sort of bracket/clamp to fit the new seat rails to the old sprung steel "leaf",keeps the old brain cells ticking over though

Rog

• Like 1

Do you know Phil the old fella I was looking after has not spoken to me since he got his mobility back after having the cast removed from his leg,sort of knocks the confidence a tad don't it,

I would probably do the same again though if the dozy sod broke his leg again this year,never learn eh?

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1