Sentimental old songs and memories

That reminded me.  My old dad liked Bing Crosby songs.  He used to sing,  When the blue of the night meets the gold of the day someone waits for me.  At least I think that was Bing Crosby.  Me mam used to tell him to shurrup. :biggrin:   Maybe the one waiting for him was the rent man!  

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 1959 a group of us from Ellis spent a some time scene shifting in Co Op Arts for the production "A Place Called Paradise". A teddy boy version of West Side Story. My brother was in a FFGS prod

Nice topic Loppy..........i'm forever singing sentimental old songs.........by myself or to the wife or anybody else........i only have to hear almost any sentence....and a song springs to mind.......

That first song started with the words ''there's a tiny house, by a tiny stream... '   I used to do ballet and tap dancing and every year we did a display for friends and relatives in a thea

I don't think anybody has mentioned the Goons.  I'm Walking backwards for Christmas and other such whacky songs.  They may have been an acquired taste I know my parents didn't like them.  I think in many ways they laid the groundwork for Monty Python and other such types.

When it came to the sad stuff of my generation I think Roy Orbison was probably foremost.  Only the Lonely, Blue Angel.  I think his own personal life was pretty sad but I don't remember all the details.   I was always a bit melancholic so they tended to appeal to me.

Jill.............Ralph Vaughan Williams. 

"Quintessentially English. Arranged by one of my favourite composers"

Yes.  That was very pleasant.  I was not familiar with it.  Thanks for posting it. 

• Upvote 1

Songs I remember hearing in my very early childhood were

Living Doll...Cliff Richard

Standing on the Corner...my uncle was forever playing that on his Dansette!

Pocket full of miracles,

They can't Take that away from me,

On the street where you live,

Come Fly With me..............all sung by my father.

Dancing in the Dark...which was, I think, a special song to my parents.

• Like 2