I used to teach Hair and Beauty at a local college (I can hear some member's saying that's not education) well don't comment till you know what is involved. 

On the last days of term when all the hard work was done I would ask the students what kind of position would like to have after leaving, then I would cover all employment that was available for a job, I would cover interviews, wages, holidays, owning your own salon and much more. 

I know young people when leaving school do have people advising them, but how many of the people who advise have done that job? 

Where as I had first hand of every job that I told the students about. 

Plus I would also explain what qualifications they would need if they wanted to climb the ladder.

• Like 1
On 05/11/2017 at 6:23 PM, nnsc said:

They ought to have had as every year there appears to be record numbers of higher grade passes. All that I do know is that there are a lot of younger people out there who are extremely poor spellers and can't do simple maths.

There is quite a lot of poor spelling and grammar on this site, including this thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Carol Dickens said:

There is quite a lot of poor spelling and grammar on this site, including this thread.

Sadly have to agree 100% with your comment Carol.

IIRC your mum and dad were sticklers for good grammar and spelling which certainly rubbed off on you and Tony.

Our attendance at FFGS was also enormously important in developing our spelling and grammar skills.

• Upvote 1

Some of the weird spelling comes from iPads.

There is a tendency to write a quick response and sometimes the pesky thing decides it knows better and drops in the wrong word.  If I don't catch it before I hit send its surprising how easily it can slip by.

living in America one gets used to their spelling.  U's missed out of words like colour or honour.  Words like centre they spell center.  There are lots more I'm sure.  I try to use the English spellings when on here but if I don't watch it the IPad changes them to the American spelling.

As to me grandma :rolleyes:. English grammar was never my top subject.  I try, but at my age it's probably not going to change too much now. :)

Being a one finger merchant at typing, and mostly reading prior to sending, it sometimes takes me ages to post or message, as I like the punctuation and spelling to be perfect, or as near as possible !

• Like 2

I still strive for perfection though LL.

• Like 1