Bad luck on Porlock, Brew. I guess it would be just as hairy going down it in anything not rigid. 

Mrs WW's father drove a RASC 6x6 Diamond T in Italy in WW 2 with a canvas tilt behind the cab for overnight accommodation. It had a multi wheel trailer to transport the M4 tank. 

I've seen pictures of Ts at shows all polished and shiny but I think they look better a bit scruffy. 

From our photos the logo on F in Law's T shows a North Africa unit so I guess it was transferred urgently.

End of ramble.

• Like 2
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love the way you say 'I too am not getting into a political argument' after just having posted a huge political rant.

Phil, sorry but Pat died a few years back.   He was a great soldier to serve under he knew every mans name and was courteous to a fault. In WW11 he served in the desert with the LRDG and had

The problem as I see it is too much legal immigration, i.e. Not enough money to go around, too many claiming who have never contributed anything to this country. Benefit levels at this level cannot be

5 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Oh dear, everyone wrongly assumes that we all talk like that. We don't, and I HATE it !

I don't think we all speak like that, Fly, but we all understand it.    You hate that we don't all speak like that or we do? :rolleyes:

No LL, I appreciate that folk on here replicate that language in jest,  but I'm sure no one on here actually speaks like that. 

I find it more reminiscent of North Notts mining villages, not Nottingham. As I say though, it's just another bit of innocent fun. 

• Like 1

To answer your question, no, I don't really like it. It just enhances the conception that some Londoners have of us sitting on the pavement with straw hanging out of our ears, and eating Yorkshire puddings ! 

• Like 1

It has probably been said elsewhere on the Forum in the past, but the film Saturday Night and Sunday Morning portrayed the accent as spoken in the West Riding because apparently folk down south would not have understood Nottingham speak!! I reckon it was more to do with it being more difficult to speak it correctly, whereas it's so much easier for actors to give a sort of Yorkshire accent, even using Yorkshire actors for some of the roles.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

To answer your question, no, I don't really like it. It just enhances the conception that some Londoners have of us sitting on the pavement with straw hanging out of our ears, and eating Yorkshire puddings ! 

English hillbillies eh?

• Upvote 1

All women are like that PF, mind readers one and all. I 'look' at my dearly beloved wondering what my chances are and she already knows.  :(

• Like 1

I think you’re correct in that assumption Margie.  I listen to Radio Nottingham when in my car and very often in the mornings and have noticed several times recently a topic they are discussing has been on Nottstalgia only a few days before.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

:Shock:.  Imagine what they know about us all.    They could write a whole play about that!  Jill and Catfan the moggie people, Loppy, the guy who thinks he's a dog.  Ben the lothario, or should that be Casanova.  RR the Radford guy.  Cliff ton, the guy that has to lay down the law every so often.  The possibilities are endless.  Sorry to all those I have missed.  Carni the cream cake expert comes to mind as well.  The BBC could come up with something like Cornation street.  The Nottstalgia Saga.  It could go for years.  :biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Accents? while living in South Africa 1970ish my eldest had to go to school now because of the situation in S/A my friend told me to register him at the convent school. One morning sister Jorden ask me into her office "tell me she said what's buus and buuter I tried in my best Nottingham accent to explain that this was our local accent, she tried her best to change the way my son spoke but we returned home 6 months later.

North and South 

When the pits where working and we had miners, when they where at the bottom of the shaft , where they south? and when at the pit head where they north? just a silly question.

50 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

North and South 

When the pits where working and we had miners, when they where at the bottom of the shaft , where they south? and when at the pit head where they north? just a silly question.

Keep taking the tablets Mary.

Talking about Radio Nottingham, three weeks ago I contacted them wondering if they were doing a special programme on Remembrance Day. I told them that I had written a poem about an aspect of the First World War that affected many people, and if they were interested I would send it to them for consideration. They never got back to me. I was not disappointed in not have it considered, but an acknowledgement would have been appropriate. 

• Like 4

TV and radio has spread the caricatures, if you will, of various accents. Here are a few poor overused imitations I can think of which come out when certain regions are mentioned:

Och eye the noo

when the boo-at cuums in

Ay ya gotta loit boyeee.

Look you dai iznit. 

Oo ee oo aaar

Awite gavna

Ay up miduck

I once stayed in a small hotel on the south coast and the owner asked me where I was from. When I told him Nottingham his comment was ay up miduck. I usually moderate my accent when in forrun parts for the sake of clear communication but I can't remember ever using that phrase except as a conscious nod to the obligatory folklore thing. it's usually ay up yowth. My accent is as much me as my face is, although that's no oil painting. 

• Like 3

I listen to Radio Nottm a lot too, especially in the car, and Lizzie is correct in the assumption that NS topics are frequently discussed a couple of days later 

It just goes to show how on the ball we are here, and that ALL pertinent news happens here first.

Currently in Hants & Dorset, where they mostly talk like intelligent Cockneys. If there is such a thing ! 

• Like 2

My hubbs and of course both my children are Black country born, and they all love the Nottm accent. Apart from the twang that has remained with me, I very rarely say 'Aye Up Miduck' except in jest. All three of my little family always greet me with it and have got it off to a tee. Dad was proper Carlton and I can't remember him ever saying 'Duck' always 'Youth' Mam was Mansfield, but I can't remember her using either?  

The  'Black Country' saying that a lot of our generation remember from the television music show 'Juke Box Jury' (I think) said by Janice ,which we can add to WWs list is 'Oyle give it Foive'. Only ever heard it said  in jest.

Since joining NS, my accent has taken a revival, and I love it. Mi Ducks. :biggrin:

• Like 5
15 hours ago, MargieH said:

Perhaps there's a BBC mole on Nottstalgia getting ideas from looking at the different threads...

10 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I think you’re correct in that assumption Margie.  I listen to Radio Nottingham when in my car and very often in the mornings and have noticed several times recently a topic they are discussing has been on Nottstalgia only a few days before.   

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

I listen to Radio Nottm a lot too, especially in the car, and Lizzie is correct in the assumption that NS topics are frequently discussed a couple of days later 

It just goes to show how on the ball we are here, and that ALL pertinent news happens here first.

I think this calls for a test. Keep your eyes open for a bit of fake news.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

This is something I have pondered often.  Being from Nottingham but having an affinity with the north I always wanted to call myself northern!

Rather than trying to draw a geographical line I like to think of a more subjective divide between north and south.  This is defined by a number of factors but here are a couple of things that I feel enable us to decide where the 'border' lies.

Firstly, does the place 'feel' northern?  That's a bit vague but I think you know what I mean.  Does it relay on industry rather than service for its livelihood?  Is it a bit grimy?  Obviously these are all fairly subjective!  But to me, Derby and Nottingham feel northern, Leicester feels southern.  I'll grant you that nowadays very few places have an industrial base but think about what made the place famous in the past.

Secondly, how strong is the magnetic pull from London?  Do people commute to London for work from there?  Nottingham is just far enough away from London.

• Like 1