I too feel Northern Jeff.......having lived in Southern ish places and also worked in most parts of Britain....i must say there is a marked difference when you get down to Leicester and beyond with the people,,,not saying bad,but different.

I do believe that its friendlier up here,, and always feel at home in most northern places even Scotland.

Think my very working class upbringing as much to do with it,,having said all that i always found the old Londoners very friendly......probably not so much nowadays,most of em have moved out and its such a mad mix now,,the old timers there had a great attitude and would take the 'Mick' but also loved taking it back ,''banter'' at its best.

I have found nice and nasty in North and south........

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love the way you say 'I too am not getting into a political argument' after just having posted a huge political rant.

Phil, sorry but Pat died a few years back.   He was a great soldier to serve under he knew every mans name and was courteous to a fault. In WW11 he served in the desert with the LRDG and had

The problem as I see it is too much legal immigration, i.e. Not enough money to go around, too many claiming who have never contributed anything to this country. Benefit levels at this level cannot be

I've not lived in the UK for over thirty years but when I lived there, I considered that I was Nottinghamian or, at a push, a Midlander. If I wanted to be more precise, I was a Hucknallian (?) I was never a Northerner or Southerner.

I feel there is much more to one's location than positioning oneself above or below some arbitrary horizontal line drawn across a map - or even a vertical line when one would become an Easterner on a Westerner.

As things are now,  there isn't nearly as much of this north/south divide here. I do feel pretty much stateless though - neither English nor French. One thing I most certainly am not is a European.

Think its about how you feel jonab........not so much geography as you say..........don't like to be classed as a Midlander neither here or nor there is it,,      they call Northants and Cambs midlands yet they are 70 miles south of Nottinham,,where as parts of Notts are more northern than parts of Yorkshire......love Geography always have,, when i was very young thought the Hills i could see from Bestwood estate were Yorkshire learned later they were Kirkby ish     lol

• Like 2

I'm with you Jonab.

Born and raised in Nottingham.  So English by birth.

Canadian by choice.  From what I'm hearing now though the character of Canada is changing through uncontrolled immigration and excessive liberalism and political correctness.  I won't go there because politics is taboo here.

I'm living in the US, but I'm not a citizen and don't desire to be one.  

probably drift back to Canada if I was ever alone again because my kids are there.  Essentially then, I'm stateless.:(

• Like 1

I'll see the rest of my days out in Bulwell, awful to see the changes over the years i.e. uncontrolled immigration, widespread unemployment & a renegade city council who buy votes with allowing hordes of students in to the city. Open LGBTQ in full view everywhere.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Redhill ! But I DEFINITELY don't consider myself a Southener.

Almost everyone I conversed with on holiday was from south of the Trent, and it still amazes me that the majority don't know where Nottingham is, never mind having ever visited the city. Unreal !

Been into town this sunny morning, and took in views around the square. Yes, there's still some lovely buildings around, but oh, the slabs in front of Debenhams are appalling. Chewing gum in abundance, and even at 11am, there was still evidence of last nights filth, squalor and general litter including much broken glass. Do the Council bother ? No way.

I've  seen the mess outside Debenhams and at first could not understand what all the small round marks were. I asked and was told it's chewing gum, I really thought they were pulling my leg. It's disgusting to think so many people just spit it out on to the pavement. Apparently it's also commom practice for people to pee in shop doorways at night!

• Upvote 1

I agree about public toilets but why not do the same as the ladies and wait! or go before they leave wherever they have been.

• Like 1
On 23 June 2018 at 1:26 PM, philmayfield said:

I don’t condone their behaviour but where does one find a toilet in the city centre at night?

In the pub they've just been in, the women are as bad as the men.

Societal structure is different in France and there still persists a "lower class" of people - les paysans (which translates as peasants but they are much more than that). Les paysans form a large proportion of what might be termed the lower working class in the UK and comprises jobs like farm labourers, plongeurs (washers-up in restaurants) - the workers who do the menial, but nevertheless, very important manual tasks.

Amongst these paysans are les éboueurs - the street cleaners who are out on a daily basis (early in the morning) cleaning and actually washing the streets. Most, if not all, towns and cities in France have these street cleaners.

How about using some of the dole scroungers and Greggs inhabitants to do something useful for the money they are given by the state and with the latter category, shed some of their inevitable excessive weight.

Please don't think it is all good in France. There is a big problem with graffiti in most conurbations. That is a problem yet to be effectively dealt with.

Yes, we have a large underclass but they aren’t interested in working when they can survive on state handouts and petty criminality. There needs to be a cultural change to turn the situation round but the problem is endemic within their families going back some generations. Paying them more to work is one solution but where is the money coming from? There are some highly paid people who are not worth their salaries but they are small in number when compared with the population as a whole. The burden would have to fall on the already overloaded taxpayer. Some of us come from families with a positive work ethic - maybe from our Methodist roots, but unless one is born into that culture from where do you get it? We can’t all become footballers!

The required money to finance a scheme is already being paid to these people in the form of benefits and various state handouts.

I fully appreciate that this is an almost impossible task to overcome as the non-work ethic is so ingrained in benefit recipients. It is likely too late.

Phil I don't know how you change the culture, do we make them work for the benefits they receive, they'll just go to the doc's and get a ticket. I just don't know it's a difficult one but it does need solving, it is not fair right or proper for the idle to expect the same standard of living as someone who goes to work 5/6 days a week.

For the past 28 years I have worked in rented property in the Mansfield, Sutton area and some of the tales to be told would make you puke but we have to realise these people aren't daft and some are very crafty to boot.

There has been an awful lot of talk recently about the rise in the use of food banks. Yes there are some people in dire straights who need urgent help but there are also a lot who abuse the system, we had one couple in Forest Town come walking down the street, she carrying a bag from the food bank he carrying a case of Stella.

Make them work for their benefits as suggested by NBL, after all we work for our wages what makes the work shy generation any different. A lot of our generation left school with only the basic education but what we did have was the desire to work and make for ourselves the life that we wanted. Before anyone says things are different now i realise that but if you want something badly enough you will find a way to get it, but only if you get off your lazy ass. 

Feel better now, i may have been out in the sun to long.

• Like 1

I'd make the miscreants who get community service dress in bright orange workgear and do it -  but I suppose that's going to infrginge their 'uman rights innit!