• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love the way you say 'I too am not getting into a political argument' after just having posted a huge political rant.

Phil, sorry but Pat died a few years back.   He was a great soldier to serve under he knew every mans name and was courteous to a fault. In WW11 he served in the desert with the LRDG and had

The problem as I see it is too much legal immigration, i.e. Not enough money to go around, too many claiming who have never contributed anything to this country. Benefit levels at this level cannot be

I don't know about lofts Phil but a few years back we went to complete a gas safety inspection in Mansfield. When I asked where the gas meter was the guy went pale, "in the cellar, but its is locked and my wife has the key and she is shopping" He played up heck when I insisted and started to remove the tinny little hasp and staple. Opened the cellar door and coming up the stairs was a 4inch stainless steel flue liner and the smell was obvious, still we did the meter inspection and counted 16 plants whilst there.

He must have thought he had gotten away with it, but we were sat at the top of the street when the police arrived 15 minutes later by 4pm he had a hand delivered eviction notice too.

• Like 1

I don't condone illegal behavior, but otherwise I'm struggling to deal with some of the huge generalisations and mass condemnations in this thread.

Most benefits in terms of total cost, go to either pensioners ( though I disagree that the State Pension is a 'benefit', it's an entitlement, which we all paid for over up to 50 years.) or to people who are working, or sick and disabled.

So.. why are working people getting so much in benefits?  Work it out.. it's not rocket science.... OK, I'll give you a clue.  If employers won't pay proper wages, we'll introduce assorted 'top up' schemes.. And who will pay for them?  Well it's obvious innit?  All the other mugs on low incomes.  They'll pay through their taxes. Meantime the 'fatcats' carry on as normal.  All this stuff is so obvious..

Underpinning much of the angst in this thread seems to be an idea that there is suddenly a generation of 'workshy dole scroungers'.  I'm sure there are some, but not everybody who is unemployed is a scrounger, not everybody on benefits is a scrounger, or unemployed.  Not everybody who is unemployed is either on benefits or a scrounger.  I tried claiming Jobseeker's Allowance when I lost my job just before my state pension ;'kicked in'.  No chance.

I can't be bothered getting into details, but trust me, the cost of Jobseeker's is very low compared to almost everything else. 'Benefit Fraud' is almost vanishingly low compared to Tax Avoidance and Evasion, but do you see any Channel 5 programes sabout 'Tax Avoidance'?  Nope..  Most of the 'housing benefit' goes to the landlord.  In some places it allows landlords to pump up rents in the knowledge that  the Govt. will pay. 

Public-spending-on-Benefi-001.jpg

And while I'm on a roll..  Maybe worth thinking about how Govt. has happily destroyed jobs in whole communities and then blamed the victims for being unemployed.  You 'ain't seen nothing yet.. Wait till Brexit really kicks in...  It doesn't matter whether we are North or South, but at present, China is calling the shots, the USA is an economic enemy ( Trump... trade wars..) and Russia is sitting stirring the s%$t and playing 'both ends against the middle'.  We need to be aligned with somebody.... We cannot rely on some notion of mythical past greatness.  That came from Empire (lost).  We no longer have that.. or any industry to speak of... or much else..   We are in a very insecure position.  Brexit dividend?  Yeah.. right...

But.. I too am not getting into a political argument.  So this is me done on 'Dole Scroungers'

As for North or South.  There's certainly a particular character about Nottm, that is neither North nor South, but, possibly because I come from mining stock, I always saw myself as having more in common with northern attitudes and culture.  Self reliance but a strong sense of community. A willingness to work hard, but not be taken for granted or easily exploited, etc. 

• Like 4

Said it before, I'll say it again. Tax evasion is illegal. Tax avoidance you can bet your life I do.  Does anyone ever willingly pay more than they need to?

The taxes I pay make my eyes bleed and I'll take every legal avenue I can to avoid paying more than necessary. I'm not always sucessful though I've just had a £600 refund so the accountant is due a visit.

I agree not all on benefits are 'bad uns' it's just those that are abusing the system are more noticable and therefore make better copy for the media.

• Like 2

Exactly the same Brew, I once was speaking to a tax inspector and he asked "do you wear spectacles all the time?" "Yes I replied, blind as a bat without them". "Then claim" he said "You can't work without them one pair every two years as per the opticians recommendations".

Every since I have two pairs every two years and designate one pair work glasses.

10 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

I love the way you say 'I too am not getting into a political argument' after just having posted a huge political rant.

Yep. I've had a rant.  Enjoyed it too  ;)

I'm not getting into an argument.  I've exercised my right of reply on this topic.  I'm happy with that.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Brew said:

Said it before, I'll say it again. Tax evasion is illegal. Tax avoidance you can bet your life I do.  Does anyone ever willingly pay more than they need to?

The taxes I pay make my eyes bleed and I'll take every legal avenue I can to avoid paying more than necessary. I'm not always sucessful though I've just had a £600 refund so the accountant is due a visit.

I agree not all on benefits are 'bad uns' it's just those that are abusing the system are more noticable and therefore make better copy for the media.

I'll hold my hands up. Wrong phrase.  I do know the difference.  Just a 'slip of the keyboard' whilst I was 'on a roll'.. :sorry:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Exactly the same Brew, I once was speaking to a tax inspector and he asked "do you wear spectacles all the time?" "Yes I replied, blind as a bat without them". "Then claim" he said "You can't work without them one pair every two years as per the opticians recommendations".

Every since I have two pairs every two years and designate one pair work glasses.

To make a tax claim the expense has to be ‘wholly, exclusively and neccessary’ to enable the self employed taxpayer to carry out their job. I think this is a bit of a grey area. If someone needs to wear spectacles all the time it is not exclusive to the job. However a second pair used exclusively for work might be deemed claimable. I think this is more a personal interpretation of the law by the tax inspector. I sat as a Commissioner of Taxes for 25 years and listened to many appeals from taxpayers. I doubt this would have got past our tribunal. It’s an interesting point which I must investigate further. Oh what a boring life we accountants lead. Changing to engineering was one of the best things I did! If you have got away with it thats great. The Revenue are so short of staff these days there are lots of trifling things they won’t pick up on - lots of major things too!

The last time I had a tax inspection was some years ago back in the 90s, at the time I had a bad back since cured thanks to the NHS. The lady asked why my earnings had dropped over the last couple of years and I explained about my back, later she tried to probe a bit further by asking what my hobbies were, "apart from building model planes I like to grow veg" I replied.

The look said it all, so I quickly explained everything is grown in containers no digging or strain required. We then spent the next hour talking growing veg and ended up quite chatty, it was she who told me about the spectacles. I must have done alright as I got £186 or £187 tax rebate.

• Like 1

I also knew Colonel McCraith when he was at Rotheras on Friar Lane. A gentleman, like most of them in those days. He was a consultant and semi retired then and that was 1988 ish. I doubt he would still be alive.

I just Googled Colonel Pat McCraith and there is plenty on there about the man, mostly forces stuff. But also in today's Telegraph, the obituary of his son, Michael. 

He was a true gentleman. One of the old school. Unlike today's grasping, aggressive, ego-ridden lawyers, McCraith and his colleagues didn't affront their clients by telling them how much they charged per hour before the client's backside had touched the chair. They were far too well bred and sufficiently well-heeled, thus avoiding the need for such tactics.

During my time working in the legal profession, I met many such gentlemen. Sadly, I met a lot of little upstarts too, who thought they were God's gift. I wish they could have heard what the old guard thought of them! It didn't amount to much.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Phil, sorry but Pat died a few years back.

He was a great soldier to serve under he knew every mans name and was courteous to a fault. In WW11 he served in the desert with the LRDG and had something to do with the development of the sun compass. Later he fought with the SRY from Normandy on.

I first met him in the autumn of 72 when I had yet again had a run in with the tax man. Earlier in the year I had to go to a tribunal, if I remember correctly on Friar Lane and having joined the SRY in 71 when I dressed I put on my regimental tie, you got to try and make an impression, anyway things went OK and I was happy with the out come.

Roll on to the El Alamein annual ball in the autumn and after dinner I noticed the Honorary Colonel making a beeline for me. Nervously I bade him good evening to which he replied "Good evening trooper Harris, you owe me a large scotch" it was only then I recognised him from said tribunal.

After that is was an annual thing every El Alamein  ball I bought Pat his large scotch, and was privileged to be in charge of his lance guard when he retired.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

He was a true gentleman. One of the old school. Unlike today's grasping, aggressive, ego-ridden lawyers, McCraith and his colleagues didn't affront their clients by telling them how much they charged per hour before the client's backside had touched the chair. They were far too well bred and sufficiently well-heeled, thus avoiding the need for such tactics.

During my time working in the legal profession, I met many such gentlemen. Sadly, I met a lot of little upstarts too, who thought they were God's gift. I wish they could have heard what the old guard thought of them! It didn't amount to much.

He must have done fairly well out of his fee income though Jill. Look where he lived - Cranfield House 25, Church St. Southwell. I think those old prebendary houses are still owned by the Church of England so he would have rented it. The annual rental however would have been eyewatering for such a large and elegant property.

• Like 1

During my time at Rotheras when their offices were sited on Friar Lane, the Senior Partner was Peter Howard Mellors. He was also Registrar for the Diocese of Southwell and a mine of information on ecclesiastical law. He resided at The Old Brewmaster's House on Burgage Green in Southwell. A beautiful property. Whether, again, it was owned by the church I know not.

Many solicitors lived in Southwell, including Christopher Bennett Allen and his younger brother, Peter.

Did an undercover job in Southwell at a bakery ?  some right assholes worked there,, near Burgage green ?  

Also caught many ''Lah de dah'' customers at the Coop in Southwell..........loved 'booking em Dano''  loads of money but nicked Coffee,,Razors,,joints of beef,,Batteries,,and even Newspapers.........,,got threatened there one night,,local villians,,when i'd stopped laughing they'd gone,,

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Back in the day mixed with many solicitors in my 'Court appearances' found most had a great sense of humour,,after their defences of shoplifters often had a coffee with them,,one in particular i remember 'black chap' who tried to defend a shoplifter ,,''i put it to you Mr Ben,my client fully intended to pay for the goods,how say you?''  my reply,,  ''yes i thought he'd pay for the Vodka'' he stuffed in his coat then jumped over several check-outs,to the exit,,...........we had a good laugh......God i miss those days.......

• Like 1
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Also caught many ''Lah de dah'' customers at the Coop in Southwell..........loved 'booking em Dano''  loads of money but nicked Coffee,,Razors,,joints of beef,,Batteries,,and even Newspapers

That's how they get their dosh. They never spend any!

59 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

one in particular i remember 'black chap' who tried to defend a shoplifter ,,''i put it to you Mr Ben,my client fully intended to pay for the goods,how say you?'

Was it David Douse? He worked for Warren & Allen for a while. Litigation, so he was often in court. 1985ish. He eventually left and set up his own practice. Nice chap.