Being in the SRY had its perks, when I bought my first house it was Major Peter Allen of Warren and Allen that did all the paper work, that was another one on the list of 'large scotch please' type chaps.

As to your Patrick Jill, I look over my shoulder of a print taken from a painting commissioned by the SRY Sgts mess for his retirement parade in 1979.  He joined the regiment in 1935 and he is shown in full dress uniform surrounded by moments in his career from a mounted officer ready to entrain down through France in 1939 to the desert war with the SRY and LRDG and then every armoured vehicle up to the date of his retirement.

Did you know he won the MD amongst other awards.

And before anyone asks, yes the regiment did go to war in 1939 on horse back with rifles and sabres.

• Like 2
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love the way you say 'I too am not getting into a political argument' after just having posted a huge political rant.

Phil, sorry but Pat died a few years back.   He was a great soldier to serve under he knew every mans name and was courteous to a fault. In WW11 he served in the desert with the LRDG and had

The problem as I see it is too much legal immigration, i.e. Not enough money to go around, too many claiming who have never contributed anything to this country. Benefit levels at this level cannot be

On 6/26/2018 at 12:48 AM, DJ360 said:

I don't condone illegal behavior, but otherwise I'm struggling to deal with some of the huge generalisations and mass condemnations in this thread.

Most benefits in terms of total cost, go to either pensioners ( though I disagree that the State Pension is a 'benefit', it's an entitlement, which we all paid for over up to 50 years.) or to people who are working, or sick and disabled.

So.. why are working people getting so much in benefits?  Work it out.. it's not rocket science.... OK, I'll give you a clue.  If employers won't pay proper wages, we'll introduce assorted 'top up' schemes.. And who will pay for them?  Well it's obvious innit?  All the other mugs on low incomes.  They'll pay through their taxes. Meantime the 'fatcats' carry on as normal.  All this stuff is so obvious..

Underpinning much of the angst in this thread seems to be an idea that there is suddenly a generation of 'workshy dole scroungers'.  I'm sure there are some, but not everybody who is unemployed is a scrounger, not everybody on benefits is a scrounger, or unemployed.  Not everybody who is unemployed is either on benefits or a scrounger.  I tried claiming Jobseeker's Allowance when I lost my job just before my state pension ;'kicked in'.  No chance.

I can't be bothered getting into details, but trust me, the cost of Jobseeker's is very low compared to almost everything else. 'Benefit Fraud' is almost vanishingly low compared to Tax Avoidance and Evasion, but do you see any Channel 5 programes sabout 'Tax Avoidance'?  Nope..  Most of the 'housing benefit' goes to the landlord.  In some places it allows landlords to pump up rents in the knowledge that  the Govt. will pay. 

Public-spending-on-Benefi-001.jpg

And while I'm on a roll..  Maybe worth thinking about how Govt. has happily destroyed jobs in whole communities and then blamed the victims for being unemployed.  You 'ain't seen nothing yet.. Wait till Brexit really kicks in...  It doesn't matter whether we are North or South, but at present, China is calling the shots, the USA is an economic enemy ( Trump... trade wars..) and Russia is sitting stirring the s%$t and playing 'both ends against the middle'.  We need to be aligned with somebody.... We cannot rely on some notion of mythical past greatness.  That came from Empire (lost).  We no longer have that.. or any industry to speak of... or much else..   We are in a very insecure position.  Brexit dividend?  Yeah.. right...

But.. I too am not getting into a political argument.  So this is me done on 'Dole Scroungers'

As for North or South.  There's certainly a particular character about Nottm, that is neither North nor South, but, possibly because I come from mining stock, I always saw myself as having more in common with northern attitudes and culture.  Self reliance but a strong sense of community. A willingness to work hard, but not be taken for granted or easily exploited, etc. 

The problem as I see it is too much legal immigration, i.e. Not enough money to go around, too many claiming who have never contributed anything to this country. Benefit levels at this level cannot be sustained. Simple answer.

But.. I too am not getting into a political argument.  So this is me done on 'Dole Scroungers'

• Like 5
10 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

As to your Patrick Jill, I look over my shoulder of a print taken from a painting commissioned by the SRY Sgts mess for his retirement parade in 1979.  He joined the regiment in 1935 and he is shown in full dress uniform surrounded by moments in his career from a mounted officer ready to entrain down through France in 1939 to the desert war with the SRY and LRDG and then every armoured vehicle up to the date of his retirement.

Did you know he won the MD amongst other awards.

I think we were aware of his decorations, NBL, but he was a very modest, unassuming chap when at the office. The complete opposite of one young, newly qualified upstart who covered his office wall in framed certificates, including one for swimming 100 metres! I kid you not!

As to Peter Allen, his area of work wasn't conveyancing, so he was certainly doing you a favour, NBL.

My friend and colleague who was Christopher Allen's clerk and had previously clerked for his father, never forgot the day Peter was summoned to Percival Allen's office, having done something to annoy him, given a dressing down and called a "stupid boy" a la Captain Mainwaring! He was around 35 at the time!

• Like 3

His modest got him into hot water once BRAC (Brigadier Royal Armoured Corp) attended an officers function as usual Patrick didn't wear his medals he had forgotten BRAC was to be there. He got a dressing down in the corridor unknowing to them it was overhead by the cooks.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Was it David Douse? He worked for Warren & Allen for a while. Litigation, so he was often in court. 1985ish. He eventually left and set up his own practice. Nice chap.

Could have been Jill....tall slim bloke probably in his late 30s when I met him,,always made a B line for me when having coffee,, nice bloke,,

• 1 year later...

Used the old fosse way to go to Torquay and Devon in the 60s before the motorways were built it was about a 6 hour trip but enjoyed every minute,right from getting the car seviced waxing the car installing a roof rack and enjoying the country side to what seemed a journey to the end of the earth,great times. I took the same route as FLY2s dad did.

I still use the Old Fosse if I’m going to the S/W even today. I don’t pick up a motorway until I reach the M4. It was handy to visit my cousin who kept the Red Lion in Stowe and also to visit our son when he was working at the Royal Ag. in Cirencester. It’s a good driver’s road with loads of overtaking stretches if you want to get a move on.