Christmas Memories

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took this photo over the weekend in Strathpeffer, Easter Ross.  It reminded me of Christmas as a young lad when we did occasionally have snow.  Anyway - I couldn't think of a better place to post it

I can remember when Mam told me Santa wasn't real. I was so upset I got in my car & drove to the pub...

Yes Jill I feel happy and contented,nothing to do with my childhood, like I 've said I didn't know any different and thought everything was the way it should be, not complaing at all, it was part of m

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to all Members,

Those were the days my friend, we thought that they would never end to quote a song.

Getting to Pork Farms early to get your sausage rolls, sausage meat, and your Pork Pie. Getting to the bakers to collect your bread because if Christmas fell on a Thursday/Friday the bakers would not have any bread till the following Monday. Stocking up on your spuds, veg, fruit and nuts. Last of all down to cattle market/Marks an Spencer for you Turkey. 

The best thing though was, going to the pub Boxing Day with turkey and stuffing sandwiches plus Pork Farms pie, and getting just a few down you, then retuning home about 3-30  sorry staging home and at tea time having more turkey, chips and home made pickled onion, 

OH! THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND!   we didn't want a lot did we.

• Like 1
On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:13 PM, Gem said:

2_Funeral_Parlour.jpg

It was a Christmas present, hubby hates it gives him the  creeps.  It is a room box only not part of a house....I love it

Are you a Goth?

• Like 1

Just sat here and read though all members post's your not going to believe this ! no really your not going to believe, it.

Not one member has mentioned the Queen's Speech. Honestly!!!!  now what is Christmas with out the Queen's speech?

A very Happy Christmas do you think.

Now don't read to much into this post please.  I don't want to give some member any ideas.

It meant something when we had an Empire to be proud of, and she was addressing almost a quarter of the world. Nowadays I'm not so sure. It's mainly idealistic pie in the sky stuff, but it pleases most folk. As a devout Royalist, I'll watch it, but I won't be taken in by it.

I never listen to nor watch the Queeen's speech. I am no more interested in what she has to say then she is in what I have to say.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Are you a Goth?

No Mary just weird, seriously all my dolls houses are based in victorian/edwardian period and they glorified death so just a natural choice.  Also in my collection is a mourning emporium soon to be joined by an undertaker. Do you like it or as some others on here, find it creepy

Gem

• Like 1

Gem, The thought of a dog missing his dead master came from this Landseer painting The old shepherd's chief mourner.   

op131.jpg

• Like 3

Ah, that brilliant Landseer painting. It always reminds me of the story of Greyfriars Bobby, the little Skye terrier that for 14 years faithfully sat beside his masters grave in a churchyard in Edinburgh.There is a little statue of Bobby there, and is a great tourist attraction.

Such a sad story.

• Like 2

Scotland_11_026.jpg

Greyfriars Bobby, his grave is just through the gate to Greyfriars kirk and always has fresh flowers on it paid for by an anonymous American lady, the thing is Bobby didn't sit by his masters grave for 14 years but someone else's grave

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh, I never knew that it was the wrong one. I've seen the statue on several visits to the lovely city of Edinburgh, but never been in that bar. Must do on my next trip there.

15 hours ago, Gem said:

No Mary just weird, seriously all my dolls houses are based in victorian/edwardian period and they glorified death so just a natural choice.  Also in my collection is a mourning emporium soon to be joined by an undertaker. Do you like it or as some others on here, find it creepy

Gem

Hi Gem yes I do like it, it's a fact of life or death I suppose, the reason I ask if you were a Goth is my Tai Chi teacher is a Goth, she has rooms just like yours, her bedroom is in black with lots of different things around it, bats, coffins, weird paintings and more. We went to the Goth Ball at Whitby last year if you have never been you should go up their and see all the Goths, its amazing. 

19 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Watch it, Compo.  She might be lurking on NS.  Tower for you mate.   :biggrin:

If you are watching, Mrs Queen.......(How does one spell a blown raspberry???)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Chulla said:

Gem, The thought of a dog missing his dead master came from this Landseer painting The old shepherd's chief mourner.   

op131.jpg

Never be able to get a dog in that position will just have to lie on the floor.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, TBI said:

September, no. The Queens speech is actually recorded a few days before it is broadcast. Easy mistake to make for those not being interested in it. ;)

I disagree, even if recorded a few days before then not a Christmas message. September I'll stick with, even so I don't give a toss about the royal family at all.

• Upvote 1

Merry Christmas to all you lovely Nottstalgians. Thank you for filling my quiet moments with your interesting posts, especially the cheeky ones that  make me smile. Happy New Year everyone and here's looking forward to seeing some of you at our meetups in 2018. 

My best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mrs PP .

Best wishes for a good year to you all, from me and the bloke that talks funny. He says Yum a bostin lot! :biggrin:

• Like 3