Christmas Memories

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took this photo over the weekend in Strathpeffer, Easter Ross.  It reminded me of Christmas as a young lad when we did occasionally have snow.  Anyway - I couldn't think of a better place to post it

I can remember when Mam told me Santa wasn't real. I was so upset I got in my car & drove to the pub...

Yes Jill I feel happy and contented,nothing to do with my childhood, like I 've said I didn't know any different and thought everything was the way it should be, not complaing at all, it was part of m

Love this thread brings back so many memories, the little post office set with envelopes/stamps/coins and the stamping pad cut out paper dolls to many to mention. Keep them coming girls  i'm sure we must have lots more.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, katyjay said:

we always had a bottle of port (maybe sherry too?) Dad would let me have a small port and lemon, so this drink and tbe smell of it, reminds me of Christmas.

Grandma Kate liked port but it didn't like her! She had very little capacity for alcohol. After a small port, her nose would glow red and dad would refer to her as Rudolph! At other times of the year, Kate liked the odd milk stout but one small bottle produced the same effect!

"Please members read the topic listing this was meant to be a light hearted post, of good memories that we had when we were children I'm sorry if some of you had a bad time maybe we can start another topic on "The worst things that happened to me at Christmas as a child" 

Please, Please lets keep this Topic light hearted.

Thanks

• Like 1

My mum and dad were never big drinkers but at Christmas dad liked his whisky and dry ginger and mum liked her snowballs.

As kids we were allowed either a weak shandy made with nut brown ale or similar as a port and lemon.

I see some on here hung up pillowcases at the end of the bed, we only ever hung up socks.

One of my favourite things at Christmas was the selection box of chocolates and always loved the string net with nuts in it

Image result for old fashioned selection boxes

• Like 2

For me the nicest recollection  of childhood Christmases is the Christmas editions of the Dandy and Beano, where their titles were capped with snow. Also, there was always a big round Christmas pudding on the cover. Memories are made of this (Bleddy 'ell, I've started carnie and Ben singing now).

• Like 4

Sorry about the  post before this , I tried to quote three items and only one came up.

Margie ,benj, Chulla.....Do we have a Nottstalgia choir .....' The sweet sweet memories you give to me'  Love the Harmonies.:biggrin:

• Like 3
18 hours ago, denshaw said:

A tub of Quality Street sweets, a bag of nuts, figs,dates and celery. We only saw them at Christmas.

Don't forget the Tangerine, All those pips aaaagh. I only remember the name of Tangerine for the sometimes very sour little little ball of fruit at the bottom of our socks on Christmas morning. Satsuma, Mandarin, Clementine.' Are they just another version of Tangerine? I don't remember those names in the 50s.

No Pillow case for us, our toys would be in chairs or on each end of the sofa waiting for us to recognise our own pile by the presents on show. I can't even remember if they were wrapped or not. I can always remember, the 'Chocolate  Tool Sets' that my brothers received, I can't remember if there was an equivalent for the girls though. Trays of toffee with a little hammer, Licorice Assorted shapes.

Christmas morning was always a  very unorganised affair first thing  during our young childhood, but Christmas dinner around the table was an absolute  essential, I can remember those steamed up windows, from hours of cooking the Pud and the little coins (not wrapped. No elf and safety in those days). Strange how every one of us got at least one coin in our portion. I think there might have been a bit of Jiggery Pokery (Is that a real word:rolleyes:) going on there by the cook, Momma. lol. Bubble and Squeak to follow next day, Boxing day. Funny how family traditions must start in your childhood. I have carried that on with my family. Wonder if my own will carry it on, when  I am sitting around the big Christmas tree in the sky. Hope So.:) 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I was never very fond of the Rupert books - will o' the wisp scared me!  I was was more of a Winnie the Pooh fan

Stirring the christmas cake mixture and then licking the bowl, arguing with my brother because I thought he got more than me:angry:. I still lick the bowl .......do you?

• Like 3

As Cliff Ton mentioned Rupert books.  Santa's gifts to my older sister, they seemed to get recycled to me but I liked them all the same, read and re-read over and again.  Me mam read the picture captions to me at bedtime. I didn't like the narrative at the page bottom. 

Perhaps that stimulated my daydreamer liking for poetry, the rhyming lines tangibly attached to a physical picture and a bit of imagination in between.

I got a Rupert annual every year, but also some others, Robin and Bunty come to mind. Always got a classic hardback book as well, and usually something hand knitted from an aunt. Toys I remember getting were a Bayko set, post office, sweet shop, compendium of games, paper dolls, shaped soap, sweets and fruit. I had a pot doll, friends of my parents would have a new wig put on for me at the doll hospital and the wife would knit a new outfit for the doll. The husband's name was Cyril, I couldn't pronounced this and called him Missle. Ah the things that stick in your mind.

• Like 3

My God, Bayko building set. I had one of those, along with the almost compulsory Meccano sets for boys. 

I too had Rupert annuals and many Ladybird books such as Piggly Wiggly, and Wonk.

I do regret my behaviour when I was about 12, and dad had bought me a second hand record player. I tried it out on Christmas Eve, and after an hour, a valve blew. I was distraught, and poor dad had to zoom off on Christmas Eve afternoon and get me a new Dansette.

I've always regretted playing up, but I was bitterly disappointed that the first one was second hand. Sorry dad !

• Like 1

I've still got some Bayko in the loft that I had as a child.  It's in ice cream tubs though, because the box  had fallen to bits.

• Upvote 1

My other half had a Meccano set for boys which his dad brought from someone at his local on Christmas day, except that when my other half opened it their was not a single screw or bolt to be seen.

Reading again some of the christmas presents were really simple and we were happy with them , dont suppose kids nowadays would be happy to receive a Beano albumn . How things change and in such a short time.  

• Like 3
10 hours ago, mary1947 said:

"Please members read the topic listing this was meant to be a light hearted post, of good memories that we had when we were children I'm sorry if some of you had a bad time maybe we can start another topic on "The worst things that happened to me at Christmas as a child" 

Please, Please lets keep this Topic light hearted.

Thanks

Sorry about the unhappy note, Mary.  I didn't mean it to be a downer.  Just reporting the way it was.:).  

On on a happier note, I did enjoy my Beano and Dandy annuals.  Not too fond of Rupert.  I got an electrical set one Christmas.  It Had an electric bell and button along with little lights.  It was o-k 'til the battery ran out.  Then I started moaning.  The budding electrician in me decided I needed to plug it in.  I think I reported elsewhere on here how that turned out.  The lights were really bright in the instant before the bang. :Shock:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

With my birthday 10 days before Christmas, many a time one gift was to cover both occasions. Always felt a bit cheated. Speaking to other December friends, they say the same happened to them also.

• Like 1

One year I had a fire engine for Christmas... a real one! I threw wrapping paper on the open fire and sat there quite happy with life watching telly and the kids playing when a big red fire engine, blue lights n all pulled up outside. Great excitement wondering who/what had happened, until they came and banged our door. Christmas dinner ruined, carpet covered in wet soot and a dressing down in front of the family from the firemen. We saw the funny side of it................. eventually

• Like 5

First wife was a bit like that KJ.  Her birthday was Dec 18th.  Folks would say here's a combined Christmas and birthday present.  Not me.  More than my life was worth. ;). I was always struggling with fireworks for my birthday two days before bonfire night. Lol.

• Like 1