Christmas Memories

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took this photo over the weekend in Strathpeffer, Easter Ross.  It reminded me of Christmas as a young lad when we did occasionally have snow.  Anyway - I couldn't think of a better place to post it

I can remember when Mam told me Santa wasn't real. I was so upset I got in my car & drove to the pub...

Yes Jill I feel happy and contented,nothing to do with my childhood, like I 've said I didn't know any different and thought everything was the way it should be, not complaing at all, it was part of m

When building with Bayko, I remember that you had to put 3 of the upright metal poles at each corner of the house because there were special corner bricks that needed 3

We had some other sort of building set.  Think it was made by Airfix,  All I recall is that it was awkward to use and had little green roof tiles that clipped together with little plastic 'pips'

First building set I had for Christmas, when I was about six, was Bayko. What I didn't know was that it was actually a hand-me-down from my older brother! Still, played with it anyway.

A couple of years later, I was given a big square wooden box with a sliding lid, which was full of Lego bricks.  Spent many happy hours with that, apart from when I trod on the bloody things! I think that was repackaged and became a nephew's present after I'd grown out of it.

Who said we never used to recycle? 

• Like 1

What a lot of us got Bayko sets at christmas, my cousin was also given some but didn't want it. I ended up with enough to build a small village, as an only child it gave me scope to use my imagination and pretend i lived there.

I think you missed the point of Margies reply, we know very well what that plant is but I'm not going to get all HIGH and mighty about it.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Michael Booth said:

It  was a humorous post, Margie but it seems you've all missed the point because you've not realised what type it is. :)

Are you sure of that, Michael...... .... ?

• Like 2

last few years the family Christmas has been divided between Nottingham and Westridge Green, just up from Goring-on-Thames.

Down there, they are very polite, but I am convinced that many of them think that north of Watford we eat black puddings and strangers.

Bizarrely, last Christmas Day we were having a few pre-dinner noggins in the Miller of Mansfield before heading back to Westridge for the usual feast.

Then started to see the news about George Michael. Went into Goring the day after Boxing Day, and you couldn't move for reporters and fans.

Quite poignant, but I'm  sure they will overdo "last Christmas" on the radio in a few weeks.

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:00 PM, plantfit said:

Used to get a clout quite often,odd times I never had any presents on the day,but on the upside I was forced to open them before christmas (usually November time) for being naughty,can't remember what I'd done wrong, killed a granny or swore at the pope whatever it was it must have been bad, ah the old memories of the ever present garden cane, don't like christmas.

Sorry for putting the mockers on it,perhaps I shouldn't have started reading this thread

Rog

It is probably the same for a lot of people Rog. Most Christmases of late are tempered by all the disasters that befall us, as individuals and as communities-Tsunamis, Earthquakes etc. Then all the people for whom Christmas is just another day, either because of illness or having to work.

Promise me you'll do what I do every year - with one hand raise a glass to honour those who mean something to you, and with the other, stick two fingers up at who or what is in charge of the things that annoy you.

Happy Christmas

Phil 

• Like 3

Brew and Rog, perhaps we should cease all the connotations now, however tempting it might be to continue.... the list of alternative names is very long!   'Peace and ❤️ ' to you all.. 

• Like 1

Here's a photo of my rusty old home-made Xmas toffee hammer.  I'm not sure if I made it at school or as an apprentice - it was so long ago :)

37822128694_240df81020_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I took this photo over the weekend in Strathpeffer, Easter Ross.  It reminded me of Christmas as a young lad when we did occasionally have snow.  Anyway - I couldn't think of a better place to post it so here it is:

27183701349_d0888752be_c.jpg

• Like 9

That's a fab picture Compo!!  Very striking and seasonal colours.  I love it.

Col

• Like 1