Christmas Memories

I thought I'd leave my Christmas greetings to the last day. So a happy Christmas to ALL members. Let's hope we carry on for another year enjoying each other's tales, memories, and views. Cheers !

• Like 2
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took this photo over the weekend in Strathpeffer, Easter Ross.  It reminded me of Christmas as a young lad when we did occasionally have snow.  Anyway - I couldn't think of a better place to post it

I can remember when Mam told me Santa wasn't real. I was so upset I got in my car & drove to the pub...

Yes Jill I feel happy and contented,nothing to do with my childhood, like I 've said I didn't know any different and thought everything was the way it should be, not complaing at all, it was part of m

Have a happy Christmas (if possible) from me too.  Have you put out some food and drink for Santa, and carrots for the reindeer?  

It is early evening here in Oz and we have had a fantastic family Christmas Day, had lunch outside, lovely food, swims in the pool on a warm clear sunny day.

I hope that everyone's Christmas day is filled with fun and laughter or quiet and peaceful whichever you prefer.

Have a lovely day and keep safe 

• Like 4

Just drinking my second cuppa, then I must get up. The phone will ring any moment and then it's off down the road to open pressys with our girls,  plus bacon sandwiches thrown in. I'm not being lazy,  just a bit tired you see, as something woke me at about 3.30am, and I spent the next two  hours reading my book.

I don't know what it was, but I swear I heard sleigh bells and a yo ho ho, and a sprinkling of twinkle sifted through the gap in the curtains. Well bye bye for now you all, hope you get your own little sprinkle of magic today. slywink

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

He must have been bleddy quick doing his rounds Carni, because I went to the loo at 3.35 , and heard him on my drive.

• Like 1

Cast your mind back to your early years
When you believed in Santa and his reindeers
You went to the Co-op or other store
Where in his grotto Santa you saw
Of strangers you had been told, wary be
But you were encouraged to sit on Santa’s knee
Seeing this strange man in complete disguise
Upset some children, giving them butterflies
When they would cry, kick and scream
And down their face tears did stream
But although frightened you sat on his knee
And to his surprise, on him you did pee
At  school you had Christmas parties
With trifle, jelly and some Smarties
And when not being watched by Sir or Miss
You probably got your first Christmas kiss
You hoped to be Mary or Joseph in the School Nativity
But cried when you ended up as the rear of a donkey
After school had finished for the Christmas break
To think work was over was a mistake
As you had to help do the shopping with your mum
If you didn’t want a clout or smack on the bum
Festive scenes in every shop you did see
And everywhere was as busy as could be
In Woolworths everyone seemed in a flap
Buying last minute gifts, cards and gift wrap
Being dragged round every store, market and shop
When you got home, into a chair you did flop

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Margie,being in Peterborough Cambs you are probably my closest nottstalgian, so tomorrow i will go in Peterboro cathedral,you go to the top of Ely cathedral, and I'll wave, or even blow you a kiss, 

• Like 1

I've just reminded a bloke in Oz that i may have been with his Father on Christmas day 1947 with the RM in Malta GC. We were 'duty troop', provide the Guard & all fatigues with 6 of us assigned to the Officers Mess, it was after their party the previous night, all those bottles & glasses to empty & wash! we were as p----d as newts by 11, the coffee laced with rum didn't help but somehow we managed to see the Sergeants take  over the guard so the men could sit down together to be served Xmas dinner by the Colonel & Officers, very enjoyable but passed out on my bed afterwards so have no idea who cleaned up after the officers meal!

• Like 4

My son just skyped me from New south wales, said it was nearly 40 degrees, asked him when you sending me a ticket? Soon dad says he, look out oztalgion could be soon down your way, lol 

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Margie,being in Peterborough Cambs you are probably my closest nottstalgian, so tomorrow i will go in Peterboro cathedral,you go to the top of Ely cathedral, and I'll wave, or even blow you a kiss, 

The spire of our church is the highest point of this village which is on a hill, would that do?  Peterborough is only about 20 miles away 'as the crow flies' would that do?

Here, catch.... xx

• Like 1

Once heard a legend about church spires. if you climb one you can see ever spire in the country i.e climb one, see one, go there climb and see another and so on etc. Don't know if it's true.

• Upvote 1

They say you can see boston stump from top of Peterborough cathedral then see lincoln cathedral from Boston, 

Land can be deceptive Margie. The highest point in Lincolnshire is 168mtrs number 42 on the list of  highest counties in England, the highest point in Cambridgeshire is 146mtrs number 45 on the list and the highest point in Norfolk is Beacon Hill on the coast near West Runcon at 103mtrs number 47 on the list. There is only one below at number 48 the lowest county in England is the City of London, the square mile.

Yes there are a few humps in Norfolk but nothing worth talking about when it comes to standing on top of a church spire and looking over the landscape. A prime example is Thetford training area, once your above the tree line you can see for miles.

Benjamin,  You could see Lincoln Cathedral from the church in my local village. "As the Crow Flies" it is 26 miles, by road it is 34.4 miles.

If you do get to come down under just to let you know that it is 768 miles from where we are to Newcastle NSW as the crow flies or by road 947 miles, nearly as far as Nottingham to Valencia in Spain

NBL. I suppose I was thinking of the Cambs and Lincs fens which. of course, are low and flat with all those huge  fields and wide skies (getting a bit poetic here!).  I know that people who were born in these places love the landscape but I much prefer the woods and hills in Notts and Derbyshire.  We live in a village which is mainly on one of the hills near Ely so when those sea levels rise and if the sluice system at Denver fails, we will just escape being flooded (although would eventually be surrounded by the original marshy fenland...). Ugh!  All those eels....

• Like 1

Phil In my youth 1960's I often used to ride my bike through Oxton, Epperstone, Gonalston, Thurgarton, Bleasby and on to Fiskerton to go fishing, and I can never remember a village called Goverton. Looked on Google maps and street view and sure enough there it was. Just shows you never stop learning.

If I ever went back to the UK that is where I would like to live.

• Upvote 1

Oz, just around the corner from Goverton on the Bleasby road is 'The Olde Tea Shoppe' at Manor Farm. A good Full English and fabulous cakes on the menu. So, if ever you're in the area, pop in.

• Like 1

One of the cars is probably mine, as we frequently pop in , and during the summer months, dine outside. There's also a short walk starting there, taking you through the surrounding fields. Well worth a visit.

• Like 1

Strange isn't it, when we lived in the UK we had looked at houses in Bleasby and at the time I worked in Sutton in Ashfield and thought it was too far to travel. It was only 20 miles, how stupid were we? We still had a UK mindset and here we think nothing of driving hours to do something trivial.