If the number 47 on the old picture indicates its actual street number , there was a William Truman furniture shop at number 47 Derby Rd.

It kind of fits in as the Motor Repairs Ltd on view to the far left was number 37/39 Derby Rd.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He always talks of doing brickwork lesson in the late morning. When they'd finished the wall, they had to knock it down so the room could be used as the canteen for lunch.

I often saw new cars being delivered on trade plates being thrashed on the motorways. Nodoubt the new owners would drive them very carefully for the first thousand miles! 

1965. I wanted a motorbike. Went to the BOD (Bank of Dad) with a repayment plan. You lend me the money I'll pay you back, Eventually.  Went to Hooleys, lots of nice shiny bikes and scooters in the win

Yes, I think 47 is the street number. A lot of the PTP photos were taken by the council for reference. Looks like the furniture shop was demolished for Hooleys.

Here's a close-up of the other place further down. Their head office appears to have been on Triumph Road. Lea-Francis went out of business more than a few years ago.

fMouDqa.jpg

• Upvote 1

When I worked just up from Hooleys in the sixties there was always a TR4 parked outside the showroom, reg No. was TR4...worth a few bob if it still exists eh? Stan Hooley was a friend of my Fathers and found me an immaculate Ford 100E for my birthday...I hated it, it was a 'sensible' car. Not really a posers car for a young chap.I chopped it for a Vauxhall Cresta after a few months....which of course fell to bits rotten shortly afterwards.They won't be told these young uns :unsure:

The car I fondly remember you having was a hotted up and very well equipped Standard Vanguard. Brilliant !!

The car I fondly remember you having was a hotted up and very well equipped Standard Vanguard. Brilliant !!

TR bits and 5 speed box with overdrive...weighed a ton and never did get round to fitting the supercharger...but fun car :biggrin:

• 2 years later...

Just now new to this site.

Have noticed posts about Hooleys Garage.

I used to navigate on motor rallies with Mike Cottee - Director.

First in his Ford Anglia and progressed to Ford Cortina Lotus.

Both cars maintained, of course, by Hooleys.

Would like to hear if anyone knows Mike currently as I would like to contact.

Many thanks

From Cliff Ton's photo: the big old church had a side entrance on Upper College st. It led down to a large store type of room I guess below the main hall of the church. That was a motorbike spares and accessories shop and I've an idea it was Hooleys. 

Regarding the main Hooleys I remember in the late 60s the showroom packed with people ogling and touching the new Capri. Me included. Oh how I wanted one, but had to make do with a used Anglia.

15 hours ago, Alan Cooper said:

Have noticed posts about Hooleys Garage.

I used to navigate on motor rallies with Mike Cottee - Director.

Presumably a connection with Cottee & Edwards who had various car dealerships around Nottingham ?

• 2 months later...

Cliffs photo above,near the Lea Francis sign: the building is St.Marys,Miss Bowlers room and Sister Aloysius's room on the first floor. I think I explained a few years ago,that Hooleys stored cars in that church, scaffold batons placed on the steps...not on Derby Rd. But on the lane to my school. Also the park tunnel was used for new deliveries.

*circa '68 some new mk.1 Capri's were being delivered... i was mesmerised not having seen alloys much...maybe on a Cooper S.

The Hooleys bloke offered me a spin, long story short- Brother snitched- Dad and me on the carpet at said garage- sat'day morning- big post mortem- apologies all round- boss gave me dosh for the Gaumont and a trip to Dunkirk and back, in a spanker.

I remember sitting on the steps of the church depicted on Cliff's picture posted July 27, 2015 (above) waiting to see the Queen. Derby Road was unbelievably packed with onlookers but very few people were on the church steps other than us. Never knew why (frightened of God, perhaps?). Anyway, the Queen duly passed by. Checking the Nottingham Post records, it was 1955 and she would have been on her way to Wollaton Park to watch show jumping (hard life innit, Ma'am).

• 4 months later...
38 minutes ago, katyjay said:

You went to the same school as my husband, Martyn, he was ahead of you though, he went 1958-63.

He must be a good guy. Was he in the same class as Bill Brindley 

I was there from 61 to 65 when it closed 

Funny how you ended up over here too

2 hours ago, katyjay said:

Yes, Bill Brindley was in his class. 

Serious for a minute, just in case you didn’t know, that Peoples College has an old boys association. I got in touch with them a couple of weeks ago and they posted my info on the web site. I just Google Peoples College Old Boys 

Hubby went to the old boys annual dinner a few years back at the Notts County F.C place on Meadow Lane. There were 5 others there from his year.

12 hours ago, katyjay said:

Hubby went to the old boys annual dinner a few years back at the Notts County F.C place on Meadow Lane. There were 5 others there from his year.

Cool - was it fun? I asked them to keep me up to speed so i could go to the next one and maybe even do a tour of the old place.

I left at the end of my 4th year when they closed it down and if i remember correctly there were 2 years behind me. I was lucky as I went off to sea school but it must have been really bad for some of the others particularly the younger ones. I think the council planned the closure badly.

Does you Hubby have good memories of the place and some of the teachers - I do 

He always talks of doing brickwork lesson in the late morning. When they'd finished the wall, they had to knock it down so the room could be used as the canteen for lunch.

• Like 2