• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He always talks of doing brickwork lesson in the late morning. When they'd finished the wall, they had to knock it down so the room could be used as the canteen for lunch.

I often saw new cars being delivered on trade plates being thrashed on the motorways. Nodoubt the new owners would drive them very carefully for the first thousand miles! 

1965. I wanted a motorbike. Went to the BOD (Bank of Dad) with a repayment plan. You lend me the money I'll pay you back, Eventually.  Went to Hooleys, lots of nice shiny bikes and scooters in the win

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ayup all,

I used to have to cycle to all those places from Sneinton on that old butchers bike you know small wheel at the front big un at the back, to get spare parts for the garage where I was apprenticed, see previous posts about my ordeals on that bloody thing

Rog

Ayup all,

I used to have to cycle to all those places from Sneinton on that old butchers bike you know small wheel at the front big un at the back, to get spare parts for the garage where I was apprenticed, see previous posts about my ordeals on that bloody thing

Rog

What time was this? I wonder if my dad was there then?

• 3 years later...

my dad worked at hooleys on derby road, i'm not sure when he started there but i remember him being there in the early 70's.

i do remember a woman who worked there giving me a big set of lego in a wooden box.

he went on to be parts manager at the van and truck section which was the one at lenton.

• 3 years later...

I think that was two separate companies. Hooleys had their van/truck dept at Lenton, but Mann Egerton were a separate concern.

And I've posted these before on another thread, but they can go here as well, because I didn't know this thread existed. Taken when demolition had just started.

hooley2.jpg

hooley1.jpg

hooley.jpg

• Upvote 1

My father did his apprenticeship here in around the late 50s. I think this was somewhere on Derby Road? Does anyone know what happened to this garage and where exactly it was?

Hi Mariag,I did my apprenticeship also at Hooleys,started work there at Derby road in 1956 I actually got the sack in 1959 for smashing up a brand new not even registered Ford Prefect.Mr Cottee was the works manager there and he was the the one who sacked me saying I was to expensive to employ.I always thought an apprentice couldn't get sacked if he or she was indentured any way old man Cottee got around it somehow.His son worked there also his name was Michael Cottee he was fresh out of the RAF when he came to work for Hooleys.Along with Michael and Horace Enion we were sent to a big warehouse down Sneinton way I think it was about 1958 that Hooleys either owned or rented to house new cars and also our little section where we fixed up second hand cars for sale at Derby road,there was a section where new delivery trucks for Castrol were painted and got ready,I think they were Thames Traders

I wonder if he was connected to Cottee and Edwards, another Nottingham garage, although i believe the owner was John Cottee, who lived at Wysall.

A friend of mine in Newark has had a Ford Anglia since new, which was supplied by Hooleys. The registration plates always had a distinctive letter H in the middle,,between the numbers and letters.

Yes I had a 1959 100E Anglia, 75 ETV with a little H in the middle of the number plate. It was my first car.

• 4 months later...

Hooleys was a bit of a landmark there on Derby Rd. I took my kids to see Chittee Chittee Bang Bang in the showroom. Hooleys may have been the first motor people to have installed a computer system, I remember seeing an ad in The Eve Post, part-time job, 2 hours each evening 6--8 to shut down the computer!!! and now I have seen a wooden bench up at the old Botany Bay spot, falling to pieces, marked In Memory of Lesley and Dorothy Hooley. Are they relevant? Does anyone know?

and now I have seen a wooden bench up at the old Botany Bay spot, falling to pieces, marked In Memory of Lesley and Dorothy Hooley. Are they relevant? Does anyone know?

Isn't Botany Bay in Australia?

When I worked just up from Hooleys in the sixties there was always a TR4 parked outside the showroom, reg No. was TR4...worth a few bob if it still exists eh? Stan Hooley was a friend of my Fathers and found me an immaculate Ford 100E for my birthday...I hated it, it was a 'sensible' car. Not really a posers car for a young chap.I chopped it for a Vauxhall Cresta after a few months....which of course fell to bits rotten shortly afterwards.They won't be told these young uns :unsure:

• Upvote 1

What was on Derby Road before Hooleys? It's whatever was the building on the right with the three arches. The church in the background was demolished in the early 70s.

OKL1pM5.jpg

Equivalent today looks like this.

H8vLU50.jpg

• Upvote 1