• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He always talks of doing brickwork lesson in the late morning. When they'd finished the wall, they had to knock it down so the room could be used as the canteen for lunch.

I often saw new cars being delivered on trade plates being thrashed on the motorways. Nodoubt the new owners would drive them very carefully for the first thousand miles! 

1965. I wanted a motorbike. Went to the BOD (Bank of Dad) with a repayment plan. You lend me the money I'll pay you back, Eventually.  Went to Hooleys, lots of nice shiny bikes and scooters in the win

• 7 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 8:37 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Isn't Botany Bay in Australia?

Bit late to this, but I presume the OP was referring to the little park at the top of College Street, which I think is called "The Bay of Biscay", see the bottom of this page which is a 1928 article from the Thoroton Society transactions for use of the name.

Botany Bay were allotments (probably Botany Bay Gardens originally, if they followed naming of others in the area) and are clearly shown on Sanderson's 1835 Map "20 Miles Around Mansfield " IIRC, which I think is the same period as the map that Cliff Ton posted. They were still present on the 1st editions 6 inch and 25 inch maps but not named.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking up and over Derby Road.68690-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgTop centre ..view of large Ropewalk properties...during the air raids my Mother often sheltered beneath the H&H pub.Further back in this thread Peter j mentions the Cathedral..it was the church next to Hooleys that stored gear..remember scaffold batons on the steps to allow wheels etc..

• Like 1

1965. I wanted a motorbike. Went to the BOD (Bank of Dad) with a repayment plan. You lend me the money I'll pay you back, Eventually.  Went to Hooleys, lots of nice shiny bikes and scooters in the window. 

Think their two wheel shop was on Greyfriargate at the time, near to the Sherwood rooms.   I wanted a BSA, Truimph or Royal Enfield or what ever I could afford.  Finished up with a Lambretta Li125. Red, and shiny.  Mistake!

Seeing as the BOD was funding it I had no choice.  Being a bit raw negotiating a motor deal, I and BOD took the salesmans (Bit like Swiss Tony) word for it.  Nice machine, I've got someone looking at it this afternoon etc etc.

Put it down to one of the lessons of life.  Lambrettas are a heap of excrement.  Broke down within days of getting it back to Clifton.   Went back to Hooleys, they denied having ever seeing it, but eventually they found it at the back of the workshop and fixed it after 6 weeks.  After which it still broke down.

There after it continued to be the curse of my youth.   Took it to Jossylns (Jozzo's) on Radford Road, who agreed it was a heap of excrement but he managed to fix it.   2 lessons learnt.

1.  Never buy anything motorised from Hooleys

2. Never buy a Lambretta.

3 Eventually part chopped it at Jozzo's for a Honda 50.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I worked from 1962 as a  apprentice till 1972 in the next work bay was Frank giacone there was Frank Wright good on automatic cars Edward beers mechanic mic price  pat abbot geof hill  John grain John Hollingsworth Steve ayes perio giacone Jim white Doug clews forman.  Bob darling  Barrie altman John the pole  John armitage all petro car mechanics  bodyshop Charlie bacon Dave Andrews George turton b Bert turton forman  trim shop mic Palin cliff  and Jeff painters of the lorries and  building the backs of them bill peg Bernard Ives and my best mate in them days Ron needam mic cotter. Built his green ford Anglia himself and had help now and then from us ted ramble was cotter's mate and co driver he married Josephine out the office down stairs

Just reading the references to Hooleys, the City Fire Brigade bought 2 Triumph motorbikes from Hooleys in 1961, from the previous posts, Derby Rd seems to be all cars, the only reference to motorbikes is Greyfriargate, so did Hooleys sell motorbikes from a different shop than Derby Road ?,  can anyone clear this up, ie where did Hooleys sell motorbikes from in the sixties ?

Regards all 

Hi Fogrider, yes Hooleys sold motorbikes and cars at Greyfriar gate. Their showroom was in Richmond House facing the roundabout that was there. The showroom was between Albion st and Canal street. Richmond House is still there. 

Bike spare parts and accessories were sold in the basement of the old church on Derby road. 

• Like 1

My late father worked in the Parts Department, and was very close friends with Bob & Charlotte Darling, as was my mum. 

My Aunty Liz & Uncle Dave also work there. As a Child I spent a lot of time in and around the Garage. Waiting for Dad to clock off beside the Petrol Kiosk, where Bernice “Four Star” managed the Pumps. Dad, had very fond memories of friends and going into the Hand and Heart Public House. Bob and my Dad, sat and had a drink with Windsor Davis, of “It ain’t half hot mam” when he was appearing in Pantomime. There was also a minor bird, that used to swear a lot!

My Dad, got me a old Yellow Raleigh Chopper, which was rebuilt and got resprayed in Purple Velvet, the exact same Colour as his Mk3 Cortina, very happy times. He later moved with a few of his friends to Cowies on London Rd, after Hangers was taken over.

Hooleys was a RS Dealership and had there own racing team at one point, it was also the first Dealership to have one of the First Ford Sierra Cosworth In the Showroom.

Many cars in Australia at that time ended up with black vinyl roofs as a result of hail storms, Boot lids and bonnets were easy to replace but the cost of repairing the roof was prohibitive so hence the vinyl roof.

"Wrapping" cars with vinyl or velour I.L.O. a respray is big here at the moment however I do not understand why anyone would want their car to look like grandmas' settee

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 10:48 PM, Jackobite said:

My late father worked in the Parts Department, and was very close friends with Bob & Charlotte Darling, as was my mum. 

My Aunty Liz & Uncle Dave also work there. As a Child I spent a lot of time in and around the Garage. Waiting for Dad to clock off beside the Petrol Kiosk, where Bernice “Four Star” managed the Pumps. Dad, had very fond memories of friends and going into the Hand and Heart Public House. Bob and my Dad, sat and had a drink with Windsor Davis, of “It ain’t half hot mam” when he was appearing in Pantomime. There was also a minor bird, that used to swear a lot!

My Dad, got me a old Yellow Raleigh Chopper, which was rebuilt and got resprayed in Purple Velvet, the exact same Colour as his Mk3 Cortina, very happy times. He later moved with a few of his friends to Cowies on London Rd, after Hangers was taken over.

Hooleys was a RS Dealership and had there own racing team at one point, it was also the first Dealership to have one of the First Ford Sierra Cosworth In the Showroom.

What was your father's full name  also in the petrol box office there use to be George carby  filling your tank up and his son Brian worked in the body shop

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 11:07 AM, Raymond Altman said:

What was your father's full name  also in the petrol box office there use to be George carby  filling your tank up and his son Brian worked in the body shop

Ashie........... I remember George Carby. Dad, loved working there. As you would know, there was quite a few personalities that works up Derby road.  

• Upvote 1
On 3/12/2020 at 8:58 PM, Jackobite said:

Ashie........... I remember George Carby. Dad, loved working there. As you would know, there was quite a few personalities that works up Derby road.  

In the stores at the time because the front stores at the time. Was the PDI department then   altered to become just stores and front counter for spares Gill Cowley worked there tall guy with blonde hair Dave who  was a spares rep Martin who was a bit of a comedian and very witty  Stewart green Arthur brown always had a cigarette in his mouth dick Smith brilliant on ford part numbers and a Dave with a bad eye   Pete cottee   he became parts manager. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/17/2020 at 7:45 AM, Jackobite said:

Hi Ray, I remember Martin, Pete Cottee, there was Dave Meekin, 

Hi Ray, do you remember Nigel Gresley, from Kimberley, who was one of the drivers for Hooleys. The was a few People who worked at Hooleys from Kimberley.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to hear that. knew both your parents well. I even remember your birth. Now that makes me feel old  :(

• 3 months later...

Hi Chris, Sorry to hear about your Dad. Please give our regards to your mum. There were many happy times that Bob & Charlotte, had with my own Mum & Dad. (Bob & Joan). I don’t many an hour under a bonnet at your old house / Nelson, under the bonnet of a Cortina / Capri. I learnt a lot from your Dad. He will be missed. Thinking about you all. Regards Darren.