Sign in to follow this  
DLT

All over the 'oppit?!

DLT    0

Hi! I'm new to here but after scouring the internet this is the only site I found which used the term 'all over the 'oppit', as in 'all over the place, everywhere'. It's a term we all use regularly as a family here in Cheshire but no one else knows what it means! Think it may have come from my Grandad but he was a Yorkshire man? Do you know anything about the origin of this saying and what letter the apostrophe replaces?! Is it hoppit? Thank you. 

plantfit    3,201

Good first post DLT, we've always used that term but never gave it a second thought,you got me thinking now, I'm sure there will be plenty of answers to your question coming to these pages shortly these Notts folk are a clever lot you know

Rog

Brew    396

'Oi 'oppit' is a common phrase meanin 'hoppit' as go away, 'hop along with you' or 'bu99er off' but all over the oppit? We used it regulalry but I've never really thought about what 'oppit' in this context means. Good question.

crankypig    352

My granny used to say all over the oppit,I think it just meant that something was all over the place.

Another saying was gerrout of the ossroad,meaning move out of the way,I suppose that stems from the days of horses or a horse and cart,and you had to get off the road for safety.