• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beano, Topper and Beezer. Couldn't get to grips with the Eagle and all this Science Fiction stuff...... Still can't !

Combining Toys and Comics with Christmas, What about the Christmas Annuals? Beano seemed to top the bill at our place.

I had The Dandy comic and the annual at Christmas from about 1957. I'm not sure why I opted for The Dandy because I actually preferred The Beano My mum got rid of all my childhood books when

Yeah I remember him now riding around on a big flat iron. I reckon I used to work for a guy like him once. And I remember Harris Tweed and Luck of the Legion.

And Mudgie 49 it was the daily Mirror we used to hang up in the Bog. I reckon I'd wipe my Ass on the Guardian these days.

I used to read Bat man and Superman comics also Victor, Hotspur etc but I used to swap my Eagles for these so they were out of date. I also used to read my elder brothers MAD magazine. Couldn't make head nor tail of it in those days.

Mad that brought back memories . I used to buy that but can't remember what was before that and after Beano . May have been Hotspur .

Alfred E Neuman was the main guy

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=newman+mad+comic&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=K0kiUq2FN4q3hQe8wID4BA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=709

Back to the toys part of this thread. Is there anyone else out there who spent rainy Sunday afternoons building Airfix Kits. The cheapest were two bob and were in a little plastic bag with instruction card stapled to the top. You had to buy your own glue and paints. My bedroom ceiling had loads of WW2 fighter planes held up with cotton and a drawing pin. Later on when I could afford them I added the more expensive bombers. When you shut the bedroom door, you were showered with dust off the aeroplanes.

:biggrin: Do any of the ladies amongst us - some of the lads may even have taken a sly look (Paulus) - remember 'Valentine' and 'Mirabelle'?

I called them 'love comics' and I was forbidden from reading them :angry2:; that didn't stop me sneaking them upstairs in my satchel, lying down on my bed, a bag of sweets at my side and escaping into fantasy land............. :Kiss:....................

One of these 'love comics' - sure it was 'Valentine' - had the latest hit pop song printed on the back cover.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

The Hotspur was my favourite comic - took a while to get used to picture version when it changed from the written tales though.

51JYIv-RRSL._SY300_.jpg

I loved making (usually a mess) up the Air-Fix kits, planes, battleships etc.

Ar Airfix. I made planes too, got more glue on me than the plane. Does anyone remember the airfix boxes of tiny solders, Romans, American civil war, and desert rat figures?.. you can still get them, but they cost a small fortune today. Pete.

By gum I do remember them soldiers. I suppose I've killed off many German, French and Russian armies in the past. Hehe!

• 1 year later...

Popped into a charitable in West Bridgford today, scanning the books. A mint copy of the Victor annual 1968, for the princely sum of three quid had to be a goer. 1968 was a few years after my time, but one of my comic book heroes was still there. The Tough of the Track, one of the best milers in the world, European 1500 metres champion, fish 'n' chip gourmet and welding jobs undertaken, the one and only Alf Tupper.

Saving Braddock, V.C. for later, here's the opening of A Goalie For The City...

'With minutes to go in a League game, Midford City were desperately hanging on to a 2-1 lead over Leedham Villa. The City, lying third in Division One, were a few points behind Strangham Wanderers, the League leaders, but had some games in hand and still had a chance of winning the championship. They were due to meet the Wanderers on the last day of the championship. The City was owned by Snitcher Jones, who, although he dressed like a tramp, was a very rich man. In charge of the players was Jack Shaw, an ex-England player, who was the coach and centre-forward'

They don't write stuff like that any more, I feel like I'm ten again. Exciting stuff, got to go....

• Upvote 1

Any Eagle readers recall that huge ww2 drill that was manned and went underground? Topper,Figaro,foxy,big uggy and splodge. Beezer,colonel blink? Also zip Nolan,typhoon Tracy,skid solo,buster was a good comic too. I seem to remember a card game called What.

I can remember having the Eagle,the Beano,the Dandy etc.But the one that sticks in my mind was the Tiger.One week, before the football season started there was a free gift.It was a ladder for the four divisions and you had to cut out the names of the 92 teams.Every Saturday evening I would then spend an hour rearranging them on their different rungs after all the football results had come in and the new league tables were given.The simple pleasures in life.!

My favourite publication (Not a comic by any means ) was the Tell Me Why and World Of Wonder weekly papers. Whilst aimed at children they were astoundingly informative, well illustrated and entertaining. Any publication aimed at children which summarised the classics such as Quo Vadis? is worth its weight in gold. It probably formed most of my education in my very early years. Maybe it still does.

• 2 years later...

Started thinking about my paper round in the early 60s. Two lots every morning , Bagnall road, then the houses bounded by Lincoln St and Stockhill lane.

One old guy on Browns Croft used to have Titbits - read it (and ogled it) cover to cover before delivering it. The old newsagent used to let me read all the comics. Especially remember the first Valiant coming out.

What did you read?

My grandma used to get me the Eagle, the Beezer and the Beano every week - always read them in that order!

Also, at times fairly regularly read Swift, Zip, Buster ('son of Andy Capp') Knockout and I also used to read the Wizard as an older child.

Only read the occasional copy of Dandy, Topper, Film Fun and others.

For a short time I had ‘Bunty’ and ‘Judy’ delivered but really wasn’t a comic reader. I much preferred ‘Look and Learn’ although reading that didn’t make me any more intellectual and knowledgable :crazy:

Beano, Topper and Beezer. Couldn't get to grips with the Eagle and all this Science Fiction stuff...... Still can't !

• Like 2

The centre spread in the Eagle was usually a technical diagram/drawing or other about some big machinery,aircraft or ship and I remember in the very early 70's checking on a diagram of a CAT loading shovel,this was from an old copy of Eagle that we had in the workshop,it was the only technical drawing we had of the machine and we needed it to find where a particular part was located and what need removing in order to get to that part, (Ben wasn't in the workshop that day) anyway parts duly replaced and machine working ok so many thanks to Eagle comic

Rog

I had The Dandy comic and the annual at Christmas from about 1957.

I'm not sure why I opted for The Dandy because I actually preferred The Beano

My mum got rid of all my childhood books when I went off to Uni in 1972. 

About 30 years ago I started to collect them again and now have a man cave full of Beano, Dandy, Topper and Beezer annuals not to mention Rupert, Toby Twirl, Muffin, Blue Peter, Giles and Enid Blyton's Famous Five. I also have a stash of comics and other childrens books and annuals from the 50s and 60s (no Eagle Chulla I wasn't a fan) . I also collect music memorabilia from the 60s especially The Beatles and GB stamps, coins and banknotes. I had some Beano and Dandy stuff from the 40s that were quite valuable but sold them on to keep the collection under control. The market's picking up again now but cooled off a few years back. 

A couple of years back my kids said to me "what are we going to do with all your crap when you die?"  and although lacking subtlety it's a jolly good question so this year I've started steadily selling it on.

My wife always calls me in when there's a TV program on about hoarders saying "that's you" but in my defence I have to point out I don't bottle my urine and keep it in the shed (Did you see that program? That bloke was in a bleddy bad way). 

So my collections are going down slowly now. I was 67 this year and hope to get on top of the accumulation before I expire which God willing is still some years off but of course who knows how long we've got left apart from Big G him/herself.

In the course of collecting I've seen and acquired lots of very interesting items. Some are very valuable and some are surprisingly cheap.

I was talking to the organiser of this years Rupert Convention in Warwick and he firmly believes the bottom will drop out of collecting Rupert in about 15  years as the generation that cherish Rupert dies out. The same could be true for The Beano, Dandy and Eagle etc.  It's happened with The Magnet and The Gem featuring Billy Bunter (I bet Chulla liked Billy Bunter) There was a strong market for these 25 or so years back but these days nobody seems interested.

To answer the query about cheque book sized books. Toby Twirl, Nicholas Thomas and Muffin were available in this size in the 50s. I've just had a look at mine and see they were called Tiny Strip Books. I also have some Grown up strip books but that's another story lol

• Upvote 1