• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beano, Topper and Beezer. Couldn't get to grips with the Eagle and all this Science Fiction stuff...... Still can't !

Combining Toys and Comics with Christmas, What about the Christmas Annuals? Beano seemed to top the bill at our place.

I had The Dandy comic and the annual at Christmas from about 1957. I'm not sure why I opted for The Dandy because I actually preferred The Beano My mum got rid of all my childhood books when

Mess, I had a cheque book sized book about a character called Mary Mouse.  Haven't thought about that for nearly 70 years!  There was a bit in it about her being worried about being swept up with the dust.  Now why did I remember that bit..

• Like 1

I had quite a few of those cheque book sized Mary Mouse books, loved `em! Wish I had been able to keep them and they are now selling for a few bob !

My first comics were Topper and Beezer, graduating to Hotspur and Wizard by about age 9.

Wow, I never realised there were so many Mary Mouse books.  I think mine must have been ' A day with Mary Mouse' as there's a picture of a lady sweeping up on the front cover and that's the bit I remember.

Like oldphil I used to read the comics whilst doing my paper round and I too enjoyed the odd peek at "Tit-Bits" and "Reveille"

David W I always read Spy vs Spy from Mad Magazine and has anyone noticed Willow Wilson's avatar. He was a Mad Magazine fan for sure.

Image result for reveille newspaperImage result for tit-bits newspaperImage result for mad magazine

Milly Molly Mandy stories were read to us when we were at primary school in 1957. I was 7 years old and they bored the arse off me.

I much preferred Worzel Gummidge and The Famous Five which were also introduced to me at primary school.

The Borrowers and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe were also recommended reading for primary kids back then.

A first edition of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe with its original dust jacket in good condition will cost you thousands these days. 

Yes, I remember Milly Molly Mandy. Not keen. There was also Little Black Sambo...bet that's not around today! I enjoyed Alison Uttley books. I had read the Little Grey Rabbit books by the time I started school but loved A Country Child, A traveller in Time and A Ten O'clock Scholar, Etc. Any books, really. I have always loved books. Still do!

We had a library at school and I used to read the adventure books by Percy F Westerman. From 1908 until 1959 he wrote 178 books, nearly all about the Navy in war. I remember a book of his called Destroyer's Luck. It featured a young chap in the Navy. My eyes widened when I read of his visit home on leave. He lived in Nottingham and it mentioned him walking down Carrington Street (I think) to the railway station.

Westerman was an extremely popular author and if you Google him there is much about him.

Oz, I was an avid Mad Mag reader, reckon that Willow Wilson is perhaps Alfred E Neuman himself.

Disturbingly, I remember fondly  Milly Molly Mandy, fascinated by her cloche hat which she wore.

Learned to read with The House at Pooh Corner and Enid Blyton`s Weekly, remember that cost 3d a week, then Secret Seven, Famous Five and the Jennings books. I do still read Jennings, had an omnibus edition for Christmas a year or two back.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Yes, I remember Milly Molly Mandy. Not keen. There was also Little Black Sambo...bet that's not around today! I enjoyed Alison Uttley books. I had read the Little Grey Rabbit books by the time I started school but loved A Country Child, A traveller in Time and A Ten O'clock Scholar, Etc. Any books, really. I have always loved books. Still do!

The original Little Black Sambo and the other non PC titles by Helen Bannerman are very expensive books to buy these days on the second hand book market. You can still pick up the non PC books as paperbacks. They stopped publishing them in the 90s I think.

A politically correct version was issued in 1996 called The Story of Little Babaji (with Fred Marcellino).

On 14/11/2017 at 10:36 PM, Oztalgian said:

Like oldphil I used to read the comics whilst doing my paper round and I too enjoyed the odd peek at "Tit-Bits" and "Reveille"

David W I always read Spy vs Spy from Mad Magazine and has anyone noticed Willow Wilson's avatar. He was a Mad Magazine fan for sure.

Image result for reveille newspaperImage result for tit-bits newspaperImage result for mad magazine

In the early 60s I used to get my hair cut at a barbers on Berridge road called Alf's. He always had a few copies of Parade around for waiting customers to enjoy. I think the pictures were a bit more raunchy than those in Reveille and Tit-Bits (Who thought up that name?) and some were in colour.

On the subject of Mad Magazine I used to love Don Martin's cartoons. They were absolutely hilarious.

On 15/11/2017 at 3:18 PM, annswabey said:

I quite liked the Milly Molly Mandy books as a child, along with the Moomins, Famous Five, Secret Seven  and the  girls school series, like Mallory Towers.  I was an avid reader then and still am

I loved Famous Five, but not Secret Seven!  Also Mallory Towers was a favourite of mine.