Nottingham and Beeston 15 years on

I recently had a short visit to Nottingham after moving away 15 years ago. It was a surreal experience, so familiar and yet so different at the same time. To save cash I parked in Beeston (my old home town) and took the tram to the city centre. It was only a brief visit, but these were my impressions.

The Good:

I really enjoyed the tram ride, those weren’t there when I lived there last, it was a fun way to get into town and enjoy the views along the way.

The “Castle Wharf” area on the canal looks really good. They were starting to develop that when I lived there before, I think it looks great.

The Castle and its surroundings still lovely, I always enjoyed the views from up there.

Many nice areas of town still looking good: Lace Market, Broadway, Bridlesmith Gate, Exchange arcade, Flying Horse walk, St Peters church etc. Glad to see they haven’t changed much.

Lots of my old favourite pubs still there including the Peacock, the Bell, the Sal etc.

Nottingham people: I’ve lived in the South East for 15 years, had forgotten how friendly Nottingham people are :)

Beeston: nice to see some of my favourite shops still open including Fred Hallam, Barnsdale butchers and the fresh produce market in the square are still there.

The Bad:

The Broadmarsh Centre is a shadow of its former self...is it about to close?

I think I preferred Market Square before it was flattened. The day I went it was closed off and some flat pack huts being put up. I guess it will look good once they are up.

I always liked the Vicky Market, but it seems to have shrunk. I’m sure it used to be twice the size and split over two floors.

I preferred the Vicky centre with the Emmett clock and fountain just inside the entrance. It was always a focal point to meet up, shame it was moved.

Selectadisc is gone

Xylophone man is no more

The Ugly:

Maid Marian Way is still very ugly, even if marginally improved by the pedestrian crossings

Several buildings and houses in Beeston knocked down to make way for Tesco, that was a bit of a shock to be honest. I’d be interested to know what the local people think of it. 

• Like 3

I totally agree with all your Good, Bad and Ugly comments Sarahjay.  Broad Marsh Centre will soon be no more thank goodness, but sadly the Market Square will forever be a big empty space with nowhere to sit and people watch.  The biggest and most expensive mistake ever made.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

A big welcome  to Nottstaligia  Sarahjay look forward to your posts

• Upvote 1

Sarahjay, I think you've hit several nails on the head with your description of Nottingham.

Broad Marsh isn't exactly going to close; it's being "redeveloped" because it gradually had nothing left in it. I remember when Broad Marsh Centre first opened, and back then many people thought it was better than Vic Centre - including me. But by the mid-90s it was neglected until it eventually became a ghost town.

Moving the Emmett clock was a mistake, because it doesn't really fit in the new location. It was much better when you could look down on it, whereas now it's difficult to see the top part because it's up in the roof beams.

The best you can say about the Market Square is that the council were determined to make it live up to its name of Slab Square. 

And during the 70s-90s I spent more money in Selectadisc than anywhere else in Nottingham.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks Lizzie Mary and Cliff ton for your replies and your warm welcome!

I do remember the Broadmarsh looking increasingly shabby and run down as the 90s went on, it has the look of a place about to close. Will be interesting to see if something better can be done with it.

I liked the balconies overlooking the Emmett clock in it’s former location, I agree you got a better view of it from there.

I missed the fountain sections and low walls in Market Square, it gave people somewhere to sit. It all looks too flat now. Slab Square is a good name for it!

• Upvote 1

I remember when the Broadmarsh Centre was built in the late sixties. I was on day release at the then Peoples College and from our classroom you could see over the big car park to Gunn and Moore on the far side. Gradually the landscape changed and more of the character of old Nottingham was lost forever. I know you see things differently when you are young but even then it was obvious that things were on the slide.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1