Newspapers in Nottingham

Nottingham evening post was the paper I remember most from the late sixties, I'm sure  there was another daily , or was it a weekly ?that was a local Nottingham paper?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been away from Notts for 40 years but used to enjoy the E.P. when there , favourite night was a Tuesday when the businesses for sale were advertised (though never actually bought one in Notts ! )

And as for the online version....   Along with the adverts which make it unreadable, most of the stories seem to be about dysfunctional families who normally appear on daytime TV, and so-cal

I had two favourite evenings for looking at the adverts.   When I was old enough to be a car owner, every Friday evening I'd go through the cars-for-sale adverts to see what I could afford a

Nottingham had two evening papers The NEP we all know of and The Nottingham Evening News, part of the Express group. Their offices were on Parliament Street next to the coach and horses. The building still has 'Express Offices' above the door.

I think the Evening News finished in 1959. I can just remember it.  The Guardian Journal was a daily morning paper and it ceased publication, I think in the early 1970s. If I remember right its demise was blamed by the publisher on strike action by journalists or printers (or both, I forget).

I remember the Evening News was taken over by the Evening Post and for a few years the end result was called the Evening Post and News, but eventually the "News" bit was quietly dropped.

The Guardian Journal was also the one which used to promote its connection with JM Barrie (who wrote Peter Pan) although he only wrote a few things during a few months.

And don't forget to include the Football Post.

There's an old thread with some information on the subject  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/8915-express-buildings-upper-parliament-street/

As a paper boy for Wild's on Eland street I didn't like Saturday night at all, first bag full of Evening Post, last paper 39 High Church street, then trudge back to the shop and fill up with the pink coloured Football Post, all the way round again and you've guessed it last paper 39 High Church street.

Thanks for all the above , I'm heading for the local history library on Angel Row and a study of the local papers, knowing what to ask for is most helpful. Living 100 miles away since 1975  is too big a test of my crumbling memory !

Regards, Terry.

Under the management of Christopher Pole-Carew and David Teague the Evening Post  was, at one time, considered a world leader in newspaper publication, with many awards for its innovations.

It's sad to see the Nottingham Post dying before our very eyes. I doubt it will be around in another five years.

The Evening Post is awful these days because it's owned by a national conglomerate. It doesn't really have any local interest or awareness.

These regional papers        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_World      around the UK are all owned by 'Local World' and they all have a similar corporate look with massive pictures, a small amount of text, and annoying adverts.

• Like 1

Can anyone remember the Clifton (or was it West Bridgford?) Standard newspaper? Must have been late 1950s or early 1960s..

• 1 year later...

The Post's latest Audit Bureau of Circulation (ABC) figures are very bad. Daily sales have collapsed -28% to 11,777. Combine that with the continuing loss of advertising revenue and my original prediction of five years max for the Evening (sic) Post to survive looks about right.

And as for the online version....

Along with the adverts which make it unreadable, most of the stories seem to be about dysfunctional families who normally appear on daytime TV, and so-called news items which are in effect adverts for businesses. You'll see a headline such as "Take a look behind the scenes at the new Greggs shop in Broxtowe".  They think that's news.

• Like 4

That explains the endless spelling errors then !

7 minutes ago, bamber said:

It used to be Derby, but they now print just the one edition in Brum. Truly "Yesterday's news tomorrow."

My Dad had Evening Post delivered but no morning National paper.  He saved the Post til next morning to read while he had his breakfast, so by the time he got around to reading it it was most definitely very old news

• Like 1

Yes we have a subscription to the Times but a newsagent has to come all the way from Lowdham to put in a communal box in the centre of the village and it’s over a mile walk there and back to collect it. We have to pay a delivery charge. At breakfast time my wife’s usually reading it or a cat’s sitting on it so I have to read it on my iPad. I don’t think it will be long before we cancel the hard copy altogether. It’s just nice to flick through the pages of an actual newspaper.