Newspapers in Nottingham

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been away from Notts for 40 years but used to enjoy the E.P. when there , favourite night was a Tuesday when the businesses for sale were advertised (though never actually bought one in Notts ! )

And as for the online version....   Along with the adverts which make it unreadable, most of the stories seem to be about dysfunctional families who normally appear on daytime TV, and so-cal

I had two favourite evenings for looking at the adverts.   When I was old enough to be a car owner, every Friday evening I'd go through the cars-for-sale adverts to see what I could afford a

Never thought the day would come when i did'nt buy a Daily Paper or evening one,,,but it  has happened,,,,used to buy without fail a morning paper and when in Nottingham an Evening one.....In fact looking back we had in Nottingham....the ,,

Evening Post

Evening News,,

Guardian Journal ?

Football Post

Football News

Bulwell Dispatch

Hucknall Dispatch

Long Eaton Advertiser

and probably several others,,,......i lead a different life nowadays from what i used to,,,,No Papers,,No Cigs,,No booze,, and several other things if i think about it,,,makes ya wonder what its all about.........''Alfie'''.....or even Carnie............

• Like 2

I've been away from Notts for 40 years but used to enjoy the E.P. when there , favourite night was a Tuesday when the businesses for sale were advertised (though never actually bought one in Notts ! ).

My elder brother was also an avid reader and would get a Post each day but I was surprised when he said he no longer bought it .

Mind you looking at a story from the Post just featured on Twitter I can see why . 

It was about a lady who wanted a SMEG ? pink fridge but either couldn't afford it or couldn't find one , so she hand painted her present fridge pink . 

What a scoop !  No wonder sales are decreasing .

Hold the front page ! 

I've just put up a stair hand-rail that's been in the rafters of our garage for 30 years ! Headline news !

• Like 5

I'm surprised the Evening Post are still selling any print copies at all. All newspapers have have massive drops in circulation in the last 20+ years  since the internet took over everything. I don't know the last time I bought a newspaper. My only recent experience with them was in waiting rooms etc, but that doesn't happen now because of virus worries.

It's the same with magazines, hardly anyone buys them these days; everybody gets their information or amusement online. I used to buy magazines (motoring, music, etc) not regularly but randomly, several times a year, but I don't remember when I last bought one.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:20 AM, DAVIDW said:

I've been away from Notts for 40 years but used to enjoy the E.P. when there , favourite night was a Tuesday when the businesses for sale were advertised (though never actually bought one in Notts ! ).

I had two favourite evenings for looking at the adverts.

When I was old enough to be a car owner, every Friday evening I'd go through the cars-for-sale adverts to see what I could afford and what I'd like to afford if I had more money. Those were the days (1970s) of HP restrictions where you had to pay 33% of the price upfront, and pay the rest off in 2 years. That limited my options, but I changed cars as often as I could.

The other day was Mondays with the job vacancies. For the first 10 years of my working life I was a serial job changer; forever going to interviews, sometimes being offered jobs, and as soon as I started there I'd be looking for something else better. I always thought the grass was greener a bit further along; eventually I got it right.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

I had two favourite evenings for looking at the adverts.

The other day was Mondays with the job vacancies. For the first 10 years of my working life I was a serial job changer; forever going to interviews, sometimes being offered jobs, and as soon as I started there I'd be looking for something else better. I always thought the grass was greener a bit further along; eventually I got it right.

That about sums me up.  I kept looking until I found an ad for a different country!.   Still changed jobs a few times there too.  I guess it's a lesson it takes some of us a few years to learn.  :(

On 11/17/2017 at 10:09 AM, bamber said:

Under the management of Christopher Pole-Carew and David Teague the Evening Post  was, at one time, considered a world leader in newspaper publication, with many awards for its innovations.

It's sad to see the Nottingham Post dying before our very eyes. I doubt it will be around in another five years.

If you read the book "Someone had to do it", all about Christopher Pole-Carew it tells the whole story. A very nasty episode in the early 1970's. My dad worked there. When the full scale use of computers was established Pole-Carew was dismissed and went to work for Rupert Murdoch at Wapping to get ready for the move from Fleet Street. The other newspaper in Nottingham was the Guardian Journal, printed at the Watson-Fothergill building on Parliament Street. The Journal and the Post combined and the staff from the Journal moved "over the road" as they called it. 

I agree that the newspaper industry modernised, however it is very annoying to see all the repeated paragraphs and other mistakes in news articles. Gone are the "correctors of the press" who did a good job. I read news articles on my iPhone. The spellcheckers  are no substitute for a person.

• Like 1

One enduring memory for me of the Post’s tenure at Forman Street was one day in 1978. I had the morning off and was driving into town to meet my mates in the Blue Bell  when the European Cup draw was announced on the radio.

I walked into the pub and shouted to the lads that Forest had drawn Liverpool. The two tables next to them nearly went flying as virtually the Post’s entire sports desk left their drinks and rapidly disappeared out the door.

Years ago my dad always had the Evening  Post and would read every item in it each night. In those days there was an extensive " personal" column in the classifieds with all sorts of cryptic messages. My gran  swore blind some of the messages were Russians passing secrets.

Must admit that in recent years, if I ever see a copy of the Nottingham Post, I look at the obituaries first, I don’t see many people I used to know in there, think they’ve all gone by now anyway.  
The Post was pretty good til about 10 years ago. When we were thinking of moving up to Nottingham 17ish years ago my Dad used to save the property section (Thursday) and post it to us.  These days I check out Rightmove regularly, just to be nosey you understand! 

8 hours ago, MelissaJKelly said:

Interesting this topic comes up. I wasn't sure if the Evening Post was still in print or digital only now. Sad news of my Uncle passing away today - Auntie wanted to put a note in the Post. Wasn't sure if this was still a thing?

Sorry about your uncle, Melissa x. 
Were you close to him?

On 8/17/2020 at 10:58 AM, benjamin1945 said:

,,makes ya wonder what its all about.........''Alfie'''.....or even Carnie.

benj, Is it just for the moment we live.:biggrin:

My little additions in the Evening Post go back quite a way. One to a very grainy picture of Dad and others in a news clip about 'The surrender of Subang' can't remember the date around 1942/3 I think. Found by following advice from Nottstalgia members. Many thanks to those whose advice found it for me,  and the other , a wedding picture and little story about our 'Holiday romance' posted in January 1967. Ah, Aint love grand. I've still got my cut outs from the paper but not in very good condition.:)

I have to agree with BilboroughShirley on the subject of spelling errors, etc, in the press. The BBC news website sports some howlers.  It's a bugbear of mine. I can't help it. I read and re-read what I've written to check for errors. I think the years I worked as a legal clerk, decades ago, got me into that habit. Errors were simply not permitted!

I find it difficult to accept credibility in a publication if it's full of glaring mistakes. Standards have certainly plummeted.

11 hours ago, MelissaJKelly said:

Interesting this topic comes up. I wasn't sure if the Evening Post was still in print or digital only now. Sad news of my Uncle passing away today - Auntie wanted to put a note in the Post. Wasn't sure if this was still a thing?

11 hours ago, denshaw said:

Yes you can still notify people of deaths. It used to be births, deaths and marriages, or sometimes known as matchem, hatchem and  dispatchem.

If you go to the NEP website homepage, in the small print below the main heading is a sub-section for 'Funeral Notices'  which is the present-day version of Deaths etc. I think it's a sub-contract thing rather than the NEP themselves.

https://funeral-notices.co.uk/East+Midlands-Nottinghamshire

12 hours ago, woody said:

Years ago my dad always had the Evening  Post and would read every item in it each night. In those days there was an extensive " personal" column in the classifieds with all sorts of cryptic messages. My gran  swore blind some of the messages were Russians passing secrets.

Does anyone remember a rather clever promotion that the Post ran back in the late 1970s?  It consisted of a daily entry in the Personals Column supposedly from Penelope (?) where she detailed her rather convoluted social life. It became a bit of a talking point.

6 hours ago, MargieH said:

Sorry about your uncle, Melissa x. 
Were you close to him?

Thanks Margie. Hadn't seen in him years even though he only lived at the top of Ilkeston Rd - Mum has 6 siblings in total so a lot of them have naturall grown up. Very sad news none the less. 

• 3 years later...

In my youth I used to deliver "newspapers" in Notts colliery village, a wider selection than you would usually think. Some that come to mind are:-

The Daily Mirror/Sunday Mirror

The Daily Sketch

Daily Express/Sunday Express

The Observer

Morning Star

The Times/Sunday Times

Financial Times

The Guardian Journal

Nottingham Evening Post

Nottingham Evening News

The Football Post (the pink un)

The Football News (the green un)

Daily Herald (became The Sun)

Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday

Notts Free Press

The Chronicle Advertiser (The Chad)

Daily Telegraph/Sunday Telegraph

The Reveille

Tit Bits

The Scotsman (1 subscriber only, I don't know how it arrived at the newsagents?)

• Like 1

I knew a bloke who used to split his matches with a razor blade.