I was the laboratory assistant at Roland Green from Oct 1966 to April 1968 when I left to work in Boots labs in D10 Beeston

Head of science and my boss was Stan Reid who was very strict indeed. He would cane boys for very minor transgressions.

Stan was a radio ham and very good with electronics. He had a suitcase radio which he claimed he'd used when he was part of OSS during WWII. He was based in Singapore but I was never sure if he really was an agent or not.

Think he lived on his own in Ilkeston He drove a VW Beetle.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at RG from '64 to '69 and Stanley Reed was my physics teacher . He had a green VW Beetle reg MNN170E, and his UK amateur radio callsign was G2ATM. A fellow pupil (David Heath) and I were taken by him to London as a science prize and we visited the RSGB Exhibition in Little Russel St for which we were coached in addressing HRH the Duke of Edinburgh who was patron of the society and who addressed the event (just in case we bumped into him!) . Mr Reed often talked about his time in Malaya and ISTR he lived in Singapore for a while.

• Upvote 1

I thought this thread was about THE Roland Green, he lived round the corner from me on Conisborough Terrace off Glapton Road. A Rolls Royce used to come & pick him up as he was sumat important on the council. His daughter (Mrs Bakewell) was my teacher at Trent Bridge..

I think it's turned into a thread about Stan Reid rather than Roland Green :-)

I was there 75-80 in its first comprehensive days. The headmaster was affectionately known as "Yorick" due to his skeletal features, not that any of us had any idea about Shakespeare so we concluded it must have been an English teacher who had come up with this and the main culprit would have been mr Ray Chaplain, deputy head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My younger brother Gregory was at Roland Green, I think it would have been mid 70s. He was expelled for continually having time off to act as lookout for those outfits who used to sell you a bag of rubbish for a tenner, which was supposedly full of electrical items and perfume. He had to be the first in the crowd with his money to 'buy' one, so the others could see it was genuine. Anyway once my sister and I stood behind him and held his arm down at the vital minute so at least one person did actually get the goods!!

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all

I attended RG from 1974-79. Look back fairly fondly although wasn't crazy about being reprimanded by Mr Perry(anger management would have been beneficial). He was my Maths teacher & I understand he later made deputy head? Overall, good days compared to now.

Welcome SWY63. I'm certain you'll find much of interest on here, and some interesting topics.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to RG, left in 84. Good memories (random names popping into my head) of Mr Coombs, Mr Chaplin, Mrs Lamb, Mrs Theaker, Mr Petchell, Mr Perry, Yorick lol. Used to walk from the Meadows over the Train Bridge (which I think got replaced) and past a pond (name of which I can't remember). Played soccer and cricket badly but enjoyed myself, was more of a reluctant academic. 

• 7 months later...

Wish that I had spotted this thread before I replied on the Deering School one. When ever I use the search function i seem to get thousands of topics with every word in it. Damm computer stuff!!

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 11:33 PM, LozSanFran said:

I went to RG, left in 84. Good memories (random names popping into my head) of Mr Coombs, Mr Chaplin, Mrs Lamb, Mrs Theaker, Mr Petchell, Mr Perry, Yorick lol. Used to walk from the Meadows over the Train Bridge (which I think got replaced) and past a pond (name of which I can't remember). Played soccer and cricket badly but enjoyed myself, was more of a reluctant academic. 

You were in the same year as myself - I was there from 79-84. My 5 form teachers were

Mrs Conway 

Mr Mapp

Miss Barber

Mr Simons

Mr Colaluca

I was born and grew up on Holgate Road - my mum still lives in the same house

Loved Roland Green - Great memories 

apart from when Nick Cunningham burnt Down the English/Language dept - when we came back school after it’s redevelopment it was amalgamated with Mundella and renamed Wilford Meadows Comp

• 1 year later...