Copied bits from my post on Born ‘58, The Meadows

Lived on Ryeland Crescent, across from the nursery school. Then went to Collygate Infants and then on to Trent Bridge Juniors. Avoided Trent Bridge Seniors and went to Roland Green Bilateral ‘69 - 74. Became a comprehensive a year or so later I think and Trent Bridge Seniors amalgamated. School seemed to change overnight and not for the better unfortunately! 

Mr Reid, Science - like to use his cane and used it for max effect, trust me! Smithy and Mr Coombes, for PE, good guys. Smithy was our Brian Glover from Kes. If you forgot your kit you had to wear these ripped shorts called 'gorilla shorts' which exposed your pants.

Access to the countryside around the Trent was brilliant; scrumping, fishing, egging (out of school), canoeing (with school) when it flooded and we couldn't use the pitches. Got chosen somehow to join a small Saturday morning group for yachting on the Trent - with Coombes I think. 

On 7/7/2019 at 11:33 PM, LozSanFran said:

I went to RG, left in 84. Good memories (random names popping into my head) of Mr Coombs, Mr Chaplin, Mrs Lamb, Mrs Theaker, Mr Petchell, Mr Perry, Yorick lol. Used to walk from the Meadows over the Train Bridge (which I think got replaced) and past a pond (name of which I can't remember). Played soccer and cricket badly but enjoyed myself, was more of a reluctant academic. 

Gresham Pond LozSanFran. Used to ice over most winters so we would play 'chicken' and go out onto it. Found a drowned dog under the ice once, did someone pull it out? - can't remember. Pond contained Pike I think. 

Cross country runs took us over the Suspension Bridge then along the Trent and back over Wilford Bridge. The route would go past the playground of Becket Grammar at the time they were on their break. On one occasion, after receiving insults and having had things thrown at us, it was decided by the whole of RG during that afternoon, to go on a raid after school. Seem to remember Wilford Lane, in front of Beckett, crawling with police and kids. Ended peacefully I think.

School trips? Went to France once with French teachers Mr Bradbury & Mr Sanderson plus a female teacher. Brittany: St Malo, Dinan, Dinard, Le Mont St Michel. Bradbury had a glass eye and took badminton after school! 

• Like 1

A BIG WELCOME TO YOU BAZBO 

it's nice to read post from new members what was interesting about your post was the teacher Mr Reid giving out the cane. I went to a Girls school and the only one man teacher there was Mr Elliot who would throw the board rubber at you if you were talking. That was ok if it hit you and it was meant for the girl behind.  When I met my other half we would talk about our schools has he went to a boy's only school and one teacher in his school had the boys queuing  up so he could  give them the cane (not always on the hand.) Can you imagine now days parents would have had the teacher's up in court for abusive behaviour.

Talking of the cane: am I the only one on Nottstalgia to get the cane on my last ever day at school? It was at Beardall Street school in Hucknall where Buffer White caught me in the act of pressing the emergency electric cut off button in woodwork, so sort I of deserved it, lol...

Colly you should have gone to Holgate, I don't think you were given the cane their, only detention.

• Like 1

Mary 1947... My wife went to Holgate & she can't remember anyone getting the cane. I went to Trent Bridge seniors till we moved to Bestwood Village when I was 14 & transferred to Beardall Street for last 3 months till I left at 15. I got the cane at TB a few times, lol... 

Coorr--- colly you are naughty but I like you.  I think we have had this conversation before. Both my boys went to Holgate they were there in the 1979 and younger one 1980  they never went to Beardall st school. When they did go Mr Round was headmaster and Mr Beharold was sports teacher, and on Portland Rd where NCN is they used to do engineering in the wooden huts. Your wife can probably remember when Beardall became part of a college at the time it was Hucknall college FE  The course's were Hair & Beauty, English, Maths and adults special needs. 

If you other half went at the same time as my 2 boys she might know one of them. 

PS Holgate also had on Hillcrest Drive the Grammar School. When Beardall changed to HFEC   I was one of the lectures who taught the hair and beauty.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I  will second that Beekay a big welcome to you Bethany, I look forward to your post's.

Just been nosey and saw your location was Heanor Do you play for the Bowls team or go into Heanor Miners Wefare?

I recently discovered that Mick Coombes works as a volunteer at the Newark Air Museum should any ex Roland Green pupils want to seek him out and say hello.