Old Basford - Street Name History & Community

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new to the forum, I found it whilst I was doing research for my Master's coursework. I was wondering if any of you may be able to help me. 

I'm looking to find out a bit of history about Old Basford's street names, I think I can join the dots on a few but others seem a bit more complicated / out of my depth. If anyone knows anything about this I'd really appreciate a reply.

I'm also interested in any stories about culture or community you have about the area? Anything outstanding that really shows what Old Basford is about?

Thank you all for reading this and I really appreciate any help you can give

• Upvote 1

As a young boy one of our playgrounds was Billy Bacon's field, with the Leen running through it, it provided many hours of fun back in the 50s, it was also the main site of Basford Wakes held just after Goose Fair.

Before our time Billy the local butcher kept cattle there prior to slaughter.

Not sure but I think quite a lot of streets was named after colonial wars/battles, ie:Zulu,Egypt,Isandula (Isandlwana)

Rog

New Basford Lad- where abouts was Billy Bacon's field? I searched for Basford Wakes and read that it used to held near the allotments? Near the pub recently converted to flats? Do you know what happened to Billy Bacon?

I'd be interested to hear how old basford has changed since the 50s, anything else noticeable either with buidlings or community wise?

Rog- thanks for your response, I'd never noticed it before, it makes sence when you put all the place names together. Unfortunately, I'm focusing on Old Basford, it's where I grew up as a kid and I was interested to know more about the area and what it was like before and today to see if there's any links or if it's changed a lot.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Liam-Giraffe said:

New Basford Lad- where abouts was Billy Bacon's field? I searched for Basford Wakes and read that it used to held near the allotments? Near the pub recently converted to flats? Do you know what happened to Billy Bacon?

There's a thread on the subject which might help.  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/9835-basford-wakes/?

• Like 1

Billy Bacons was/is that triangular patch of grass boarded by Lincoln Street, Nottingham Road and the railway line.

Billy himself was quite successful according to his grandson Neil he had several butchers shops as well as a slaughter house and they even had servants when they lived in Basford.

His son Neil's father started the decline in the family fortunes through gambling and womanising, and I have to say Neil did a good job of finishing it off through the booze. Neil was a cracking engineer very competent but with one rider only when he was SOBER!!!

I am not sure but when I asked Neil he seemed to think it was somewhere near the junction of Lincoln Street and David Lane. This would make sense as it would be close to the field where the cattle were kept but don't forget Neil was a sot.

As to the location of Basford Wakes I can only speak with certainty about the 50s and later. The main part as already stated was on Billy Bacons field but there was an off shoot on a pub car park at the junction of Valley Road and Radford Road where there is now a McDonalds, these fair men parked their tractors and vans on the short stretch of Nottingham Road between Valley Road and Vernon Road to maximise the space on the car park.

• Like 1

Cliff Ton - Thank you, I've followed the thread and had a read. Hopefully it will help. 

NewBasfordLad - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oF-WqnJcL0sqbeGVJ5G5gCsfIZ4dVGSe 

Is this the field your referring to? Also, it's sad to hear that's how it all ended up, seems a bit of a waste really. 

From what I've read apparently until 1930 the wakes were held on the corner of Valley Road and Nottingham road until a labour exchange was built on the site, that's when it moved to Billy Bacon's field. One thing that I'm curious about is why did the Wakes stop? It seems like it was quite the event in it's hay day, the only reason I could think of it stopping is because Goose Fair became so huge. 

I've also read that Lincoln Street was a popular street with many businesses until around 1962, apparently after that the just couldn't really afford to stay open.

Thank you again for your help, it's extremely interesting to know about the past and to see how much things have changed.

Liam, yes that's the field, more over grown now than in my day and if my memory is correct the Leen has changed course a little. The Wakes was quite an event for locals, it came in the week after Goose fair, why it stopped I don't know.

I think most folks would agree that Lincoln St was the heart of Basford Town, shops of all kinds, back then folks didn't need to go anywhere else for their goods.

• Like 1
On 11/18/2017 at 7:21 PM, Cliff Ton said:

If you look at that link again now, I've replaced two missing pictures which show the location in action.

I've had a look, they're really helpful and show the wakes really well and the caravans of the people either attending or running the wakes. Thank you for posting them and for letting me know, it seems like a completely different area compared to the Old Basford I grew up in and know today.

On 11/18/2017 at 9:46 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

Liam, yes that's the field, more over grown now than in my day and if my memory is correct the Leen has changed course a little. The Wakes was quite an event for locals, it came in the week after Goose fair, why it stopped I don't know.

I think most folks would agree that Lincoln St was the heart of Basford Town, shops of all kinds, back then folks didn't need to go anywhere else for their goods.

I've been researching a little bit more about the field and Billy Bacon, according to a Ordnance Survey Map from 1915. Billy Bacon owned a butchers on Lincoln Street and a relation of his named George Bacon also owned a butchers on Mill Street. It also names the businesses on Lincoln Street, 54 in total including the ones on Cowley Street, Lincoln Terrace, Brown's Croft and West gate. I can write a full list if you're interested?

Perhaps just a coincidence but there is a butchers shop at South Normanton run by Mr. Bacon. It amuses me to to see people who have names appropriate for their job!

There was a butcher's shop called Bacon's. It had closed last time I passed. They were related to the lady who originally lived in my house and the administrators of her estate, according to a copy of her probate with my title deeds! Small world.

16 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Perhaps just a coincidence but there is a butchers shop at South Normanton run by Mr. Bacon. It amuses me to to see people who have names appropriate for their job!

That's a bit like the card game "Happy Families" where there is a Mr Bun the Baker, Mr Chalk the teacher and Mr Constable the policeman etc. I still play that game with my youngest grandchildren...

You posted that on a different thread, Loppy.  I saw it...  And there's no Mr Sparks on my Happy Family cards, although it may be the garage man in the Noddy TV series.