Nottingham....famous for.........

Is this Topic for what Nottingham is famous for or is it People ?

Nottingham 

Boots   who cares Boots care

Hopewells

Lymn's  funeral    directors

Players

Jager

and many more

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cycles...cigarettes...hosiery...Potatoes???  

Cheeky!   One has to play 'hard to get'  sometimes - it's expected..

Most of you will have a school photograph, taken by 'H Tempest Ltd'.  Reputed to be the most successful and largest schools' photographers in the country. Although they had offices/photographers all o

Most of you will have a school photograph, taken by 'H Tempest Ltd'.  Reputed to be the most successful and largest schools' photographers in the country. Although they had offices/photographers all over the country, head office was the Mundella Works, next to Mundella school and employed well over 100 staff.  They also had a small satellite processing unit at Radcliffe-on-Trent I seem to remember.

Dad started working for Horace Tempest May 1946 and was there until he retired.  (He would have been 105 today, bless him.)

They also did Industrial and Aerial photography as Horace was a keen pilot and was still flying at 80. 

In January 1958, Horace moved the main processing from the Mundella Works, down in the Meadows, to a mansion at Hayle, Cornwall - complete with his own golf course and airstrip.  Whilst many of the Nottingham staff also moved to Cornwall, Horace failed to persuade dad to run the Cornwall operation, (the family voted against it!) so he stayed in Nottingham with a skeleton staff.   One of Mr T's favourite employees (say no more) and ours, eventually married well to a local coach company owner I think.  I thought he was destined to be the Mayor of St Ives, but I can't confirm that. Lovely lady though and certainly our best looking baby sitter! 

Dad was effectively Production manager so here's a bit of trivia for Nottingham Forest fans. On the front of the Forest programme was often an aerial shot of the City Ground. When they produced their Centenary book, that aerial photograph was on the front cover.  If you put on your reading glasses or take a magnifying glass, in the terraces at the bottom of the photograph, you'll see a tiny white cross.  That is where dad usually stood - when he wasn't at Meadow Lane that is...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2