Nottingham....famous for.........

21 hours ago, Gem said:

When all you lovely men realise one thing that you can not train a wife. You can explain things show us the right way and if you really are trying  to make a point raise your voice.  You are wasting your time once you have finished pontificating we go away and do it our way the way it was going to be done before you decided to give advice.  Also remember we know what you want/say before you do, we are good like that.  I shall now go and sit in a quiet room with Ben.

Still waiting in the quiet room Gem........lol..........seriously girl ive never tried to train any Lady.......let em do as they like i say......we are all free spirits.......many couples have long happy lives together.......but sadly some stick around together who should'nt......they should move on and find a better life..........we pass this way but once......enjoy it............

• Like 2
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cycles...cigarettes...hosiery...Potatoes???  

Cheeky!   One has to play 'hard to get'  sometimes - it's expected..

Most of you will have a school photograph, taken by 'H Tempest Ltd'.  Reputed to be the most successful and largest schools' photographers in the country. Although they had offices/photographers all o

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Think it was me Woody.........don't know where you went wrong.........all you needed was 3/6 for 20 Parkies.....and 1/6 for a Babycham (with Cherry)....i found they loved a smoke.........except the ones that played hard to get from around Woodthorpe.....but they did enjoy riding Pillion on me scooter......:rolleyes:

Cheeky!   One has to play 'hard to get'  sometimes - it's expected..

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just to put your minds at rest I was just having some banter, actually the type of banter I have with my lady and very good she is to with the quick retort a I am glad to say.

I found many lovely ladies in Nottingham but this lady is a rarity lovely inside as well as out.

• Like 2
On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:50 PM, oldphil said:

try roasting a head of celery with the taters and parsnips. tastes alright, and not so much energy to chew!

What about celery and mussels Friday night treat after a few pints, not me other half rather partial.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

The wisdom of Casanova, Romeo and Lothario rolled into one! Listen up gents. You are sitting at the feet of the master! ;)

I'd like to Jill. but unfortunately I am forbidden to marry.

Phew, glad I know that now. Thanks Chulla.yada

Tut, tut, Margie. A woman playing hard to get ! Never surely ! Well my my, the things you learn ! LOL

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Nottingham must have been famous for roses at one time!

I was born in Beeston in 1958 and lived there until 1980.  I can vividly recall cycling past the rose nurseries (Lowe's) which ran alongside Derby Road on my way to school in Bramcote Hills.  The local pub was even called The Nurseryman. 

There were more nurseries if you went past Bramcote towards Derby and I am pretty sure roses were also grown elsewhere around Nottingham (Mapperley?).

Last time I went to Nottingham all of these seemed to have disappeared, presumably undercut by cheaper competition elsewhere - but what was it that made Nottingham such a hotbed (or should that be hothouse?) of the rose business?  Presumably something in the soil?

One of the most renowned (and eccentric*) Nottingham rose growers was Harry Wheatcroft who claimed that the heavy clay soil of the area where his rose fields were was ideal and helped keep away fungal diseases like black spot.

* One of his eccentricities was that he was said to be a naturist and did his work on rose breeding and hybridising in the nude.

I'm sure you'll find numerous tales about the Nottingham rose industry via the search box - top, right. Some names are Lowes (as you said) Wheatcroft and Bardills. There are others but I can't bring them to mind ATM.

I remember Gregory’s too.

My Dad was a big rose grower, buying stocks and grafting the buds.  Our garden in Arnold was a mass of roses with just a small area of lawn.  It was heavy clay soil too.  He used to go to Wheatcrofts and pinch a few stems to get the little buds off them, but he was always concerned that Harry was watching him through binoculars from his house on the hill.   Dad taught me how to ‘bud’ roses and I was mostly successful.  When we moved into one of our houses in Bedfordshire many years ago he produced a wonderful rose garden for us, but that was in sandy soil, (I think, it’s a long time ago!) His favourite rose was Wendy Cussons, a fabulous very deep pink flower with strong perfume.   He was a member of the National Rose Society and I have 10 years of his Rose Annuals in our library still.  

Of course, Gregory's. How did I forget them, especially considering my Gerard's connection?

Gerard's (in my time there) was owned by Cussons and the Wendy Cussons rose was named after a person in the same family (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Tom_Cussons) thus:

"Cussons established the company head office at 84 Brook Street, London in the district of Mayfair. Tom Cussons is best known for manufacturing Imperial Leather soap. However he also manufactured a number of soaps which have since been discontinued. These included Apple Blossom, Linden Blossom, Lilac Blossom and Blue Hyacinth, and beautiful rose perfumed soap that led to the naming of the famous Wendy Cussons Rose. The rose was bred by C. Gregory & Son of Nottingham, and was intended to be named after Tom's daughter Marjorie, but instead she asked for it to be named after her brother's wife, Wendy as she bore the name Cussons. The rose was extremely successful over many years, winning awards, and was still available in 2009, over 50 years after its introduction. Another rose, Julie Cussons, a beautiful salmon coloured floribunda bred by Gareth Fryer of Knutsford, was named after Tom's great-grandchild, Julie, who died at the age of two in 1985."

• Upvote 1

Yes jonab, I thought the Wendy Cussons was developed by Gregory’s but I wasn’t 100% sure so didn’t want to say that.  Interesting about the history of the name though, thanks. 

Harry Wheatcroft opened our School Summer Fete in about 1965, what a fine moustache he had! 

Living up St Ann's my grandad and father each had a allotment within St Ann's, they both grew roses to be put on show at the Gladstone Lib on St Ann's Well Road.

Was it a Nottingham man who invented the "Cats Eyes" the run down the middle of our roads.

3 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Was it a Nottingham man who invented the "Cats Eyes" the run down the middle of our roads.

I think you will find it was Percy Shaw from Halifax in Yorkshire.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember Lowes in the early 60's when I first worked at Plessey's, as I could walk from Woodbank Dr in Wollaton, over the top of the hill, and come out on Derby Rd opposite the Nurseryman . 

Opposite the tram terminus adjacent to Bardills, there is still a big house in private grounds called Rose House. Does anyone know if this was owned by Bardills, Gregory's or someone else ? There are still plenty of roses in its garden, as I pass it several times a week.

I can remember Harry Wheatcroft making a quite serious suggestion of using roses in the central reservation  of the new motorway as a crash barrier. They were actually trialled, along with Thorn trees back in the 60's.

Could be completely wrong but I think Bardills WAS Gregory’s back in the 50s/60s when I went there with my Dad to pinch rose stems.  It was in that area anyway.

• Upvote 1

I think you're possibly right Lizzie. Gregory 's then I think due to marriage or a family offshoot became Bardills. I didn't want to commit myself, in case I was shot down. 

I bet the ones in your dads house are still flourishing, as the ones around Rose House are magnificent, and they must be years old.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:29 AM, Oztalgian said:

I think you will find it was Percy Shaw from Halifax in Yorkshire.

Thanks for putting me straight never could believe what my dad used to tell me.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:49 AM, Brew said:

I can remember Harry Wheatcroft making a quite serious suggestion of using roses in the central reservation  of the new motorway as a crash barrier. They were actually trialled, along with Thorn trees back in the 60's.

I'll bet money there was a nice little "Earner" in it for him no doubt !

• Like 1