Woodwork and metalwork

4 Stanley knives & 3 bow saws now that what I call a collector.......lol

Compo if your getting a welding kit then that assortment of clamps will be just what you need.

Rog I am about to do the same, have a clear out that is, my lad is picking up a Rhino bag next week so I can make a start. When we had the new van the other week he took everything off that was not immediately required and put it in the shed, its only when you see it in a heap you realise just how much carp you have.

• Like 1
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When we were cleaning out our basement we found  two large boxes of tools, hubby has no interest in any form of DIY. I asked my neighbours if they knew anyone who would like them,  they went to a youn

I'm with you on the hi-fi kit, Col.  My gear is quite old now and is definitely not in the same class as some of the stuff you are referring to.  I do still have just about every LP I ever bought.  Pr

You'll not have one of these in your collection (I think) a space spanner as seen today at the National Space Center     probably come in useful for changing spark plugs on the sp

I agree with you NBL, this thread has opened my eyes to all the stuff I have used but will probably never use again so it's time for some of it to be used again by someone else

Rog

Only once Jill, got knocked on me ass,with a box of matches in my back pocket which ignited, 

Then had the pleasure of my female colleagues dowsing the fire, :rolleyes:

• Like 1

My main problem is bought about by my 'scrooge' mentality, when ever I took out an old appliance I would strip off everything I thought might come in useful in the future and put it in store I even bought a bigger shed to accommodate the stuff, trouble is most of it is still ......there. Lots of stuff for the scrap man which will please the lad for Christmas and the rest will go in the Rhino bag.

I admit to being a horder hate to throw anything away, have boxes of material that if i throw it away i know i will want it the next day. I notice sometimes that the boxes stack gets smaller ask hubby if he's moved any, no not him he wouldn't go that. But i know he has because he clears the stairs to the attic each time he goes up there, don't tell him let him think he's got the better of me.   As iff  we ladies too clever lol

• Like 1
3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Only once Jill, got knocked on me ass,with a box of matches in my back pocket which ignited, 

Then had the pleasure of my female colleagues dowsing the fire, :rolleyes:

Lol.    Teach yer a lesson.  The question now becomes, what or who deposited you on your posterior, and why?  :biggrin:. Hope yer Liberty bodice didn't get scorched.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

It certainly taught me a lesson Loppy.............i was deposited on my posteria,.by a little shite who was shoplifting at a coop in Aspley,........took me by surprise........burnt hole in my Jeans and my y fronts'.......my female colleagues sorted him out whilst still laughing at my predicament.......happy days.......lol.

I had the pleasure today of using two metal working tools that I made as a 16 year old apprentice (63 years ago). A tap wrench and a small precision square. Both engraved with my name. Used a centre square (as bottom left of PF's pic) and then drilled and tapped m12 thread in a 5" dia cast iron collar for the scratter drive wheel. Modified an m12 bolt on the Myford to use as a set screw. Bought two new tools off ebay as well. a 26mm drill and a set of carbide hole borers. Can't have too many tools :rolleyes:

I treasure my toolbox containing all the tools I made + the old  Starret tools  - mic, clocks and other stuff that I still use. Would not part with any tools - still use them all.

Also used the Silky saw today on the other giant cherry tree (felled one on Friday - rotting from inside). Didn't realise how big this tree had got - extended the ladder to 16' and still nowhere near high enough to lop branches.

• Like 2

I am now beginning to question my sanity

P1060299.jpg

Why Roger Why? the only thing I make these days is a nuisance of myself

Rog

• Like 3

You've got far too much loose time on your hands Rog ! 

Put some little tacks on the shed wall, and hang them up. Otherwise, do as I do. Just throw them in an old washing basket in the shed !

• Like 2
11 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Modified an m12 bolt on the Myford to use as a set screw.

Myford lathes another fine  product that was made in Beeston, Nottingham, extensively used in schools and hobbyist workshops.

I've still got the scribing block and 'V' block that I made as a first year apprentice.

On 26/11/2017 at 3:10 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

Compo if your getting a welding kit then that assortment of clamps will be just what you need.

Already had a word, NBL :)

• Like 1

Can I see two pairs of circlip pliers on that photo Rog?  Bottom row right and bottom row with points and black handles, 6th from right?  I like the way the tin shears don't close at the end of the handles.  The stops prevent it.  Mine are a bloody nuisance - the handles are turned in at the ends and they never fail to give me a blood blister when I use them.

• Like 2

Back on EMGAS the 'footprints' were somewhat a universal tool, heavy grips, light hammer, grind the end make a screwdriver and so on. Owt to keep the weight out off the tool bag.

That was unless the apprentice had been lippy then first thing in the morning it was over to your tool locker and empty it into the bag carrying that over their shoulder for a day soon quietened them downsmile2

My dad's universal spanner was a pair of Footprints.  I had a scooter when I was a nipper and the wheel kept coming off.  He used to fix it back on with his Footprints and sure enough.....a few days later, off it would come again.

:rotfl:

The circlip pliers at the far right are interchangeable for inside or outside circlips, the ones in the middle with the black handles are outsides,the "Footprints" are adjustable to four positions, as for the ends of your shears Compo just file or grind some of the ends of the grips so they don't meet, the red and black grip type above the circlip pliers are actually wire strippers, there is an edge where the two handles meet for stripping/cutting lengths of wire and the "jaw" end grips the end of the wire and when you grip the handles a bit more it pulls the outer casing of the wire away leaving a neat 1/4" of inner wire showing. Did you notice the (lethal) current detector screwdriver on the top row near the middle? had an apprentice with me once who changed the diode or whater it was for a  fuse,nearly blew my bloody arm off when I tested a line for current, apprentices UH!!!

Rog

• Like 1

You are  entitled to say that for varieties of reasons.............amongst the best reasons are that these continue to be fine tools. They are my favourite combination Whitworth spanners I bet I use one or two of them every day.