Try Baxters Cullen Skink, or Lobster Bisque. Wonderful.

A Scottish creamy soup consisting of smoked haddock, potatoes and onions. Beautiful !

• Like 1

No blender for Gods sake. The chunky bits are marvellous !

16 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Make your own Phil, all you need is the ingredients and a blender

Rog

We do make homemade soups and they are far “souperior” to the bought variety but we were looking for something quick and tasty. The canned soups seem to be loaded with tasteless thickening agents. The Heinz minestrone we had today was disgusting. Thankfully that was the last of the 5 varieties.

• Like 1

I agree with you Phil,can't beat any home made foods,processed foods are loaded with sugars,salts,fats,artificial flavours and colours and very little goodness

Rog

The wife makes a lovely Polish chicken soup, served the traditional way with vermicelli. Like its Jewish equivalent, guaranteed to cure most ills, hence its nickname of Polish penicillin.

As regards tinned soups, I find the "premium" ones from Aldi quite palatable once I boost the flavour with a shot of Lea & Perrins. They're far superior to what Heinz now dish up, as well as a damn sight cheaper.

• Like 2

NBL, I love home made food and I often cook a recipe with rice, veg and chicken etc of Mrs Chullas. Very delicious and speedy to put together as well. I make my own Chicken and Veg soup but always on the lookout for a new recipe, especially if it can be frozen in portions. Ask if Mrs NBL will share her recipe,:)

Some meals that I make have the most basic ingredients but tend to be the tastiest. My Chicken soup is so basic and it isn't even thickened. I first started to make it for dieting reasons. All it consists of is equal amounts of grated carrot, swede, parsnip, frozen peas and left over cooked chicken. seasoned , one chicken stock cube and simmered for as long as you want. I have to say, my husband hates it, even the smell whilst cooking. I don't imagine many people would like it but I make it for myself and freeze it in portions.

• Like 2

Stood behind me now, Left over cooked chicken is broken apart and stripped the bones are simmered for 2 to 3 hours to try to extract as much as possible for the stock, this is then sieved to remove all fragments of bones.

The meat then all goes back into the pot with potatoes, onions and seasonal veg, 2 stock cubes paprika and seasoning and a further hour at least, everything left chunky no liquidising and that's pretty much it.

Don't think its a diet recipe though more to put fat on yer bones.

• Like 3

Unfortunately i am not a good cook, i make a good homemade soup and i have been told my pies and anything pastry based are lovely. If its basic i am ok but go to fancy cakes and unusual recipes rubbish, hubby says the neighbours always know when i am cooking you can hear the smoke alarm for miles.

• Like 2

Me too, Gem. Never interested in cooking or food. Happy with a cheese sandwich! We did virtually no domestic science at Manning, as it wasn't considered academic. The small amount we did gained me the reputation of the messiest girl in the class. Used twice as many pots and utensils as anyone else because I didn't wash up as I went along! 

I'd have made somebody a lousy wife....and I'm proud of it! smile2

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, NewBasfordlad said:

the bones are simmered for 2 to 3 hours to try to extract as much as possible for the stock, this is then sieved to remove all fragments of bones.

I forgot to add that I do the same (this is the part my husband can't stand the smell of),  but it makes really flavourful stock. The base of the tasty soup.

Originally it was made for low calorie  soup, but by the time I have finished with it now, it is definitely not dieting soup, especially with the large chunk of crusty bread.

• Like 1

Jill, like Manning we did a small amount of cookery, one day i was praised for a mince pie just as well they wern't there when it was cut mince was raw!  Forgot to pre cook still it looked nice.

That's just what my lady has told me, and to be honest I just love the smell of the whole process mainly because I know what's coming for tea.

Right now I am sat here with the aroma of mature cheddar under the grill with tomatoes and mushrooms on toast so I have to be of catch you all later.

• Like 5

I was commended for a fresh fruit salad. No cooking involved. Even I couldn't ruin that! I was not among the contingent who made Christmas cakes. Probably just as well. Grandma Kate's Christmas cakes were famous for being 'sad' in the middle. My father used to joke that even the birds had to walk home if they ate some! Took some courage to make a quip like that because Kate, even in old age, was likely to retaliate by throwing a knife or a teapot. Southpaw she may have been but she never missed her target!

• Like 3

Glad to hear I’m not the only one on here who doesn’t enjoy cooking and not that bothered about food. I too am happiest with a sandwich, got to be fresh bread and a bit soggy too.  Having said that, I eat most things put in front of me, but not in large quantities.  The only part of Domestic Science classes at school that I remember is taking my offering home in the gondola basket, that about says it all doesn’t it?!! Such a pain to carry home along with satchel and PE kit.  I only did cooking for one year,  preferring more academic subjects, didn’t do me much good though!

• Like 3

Perhaps a good thing in the long run Lizzie. If your offerings had been better, your classmates would have raided your basket, and there'd be nothing left to take  home for mum and dad to sample !