Pub Name Wanted

There is a bar at the entrance to the Broadmarsh Centre on Middle Pavement which was until recently called Cafe Metz but I think it has just changed its name again. Anyway, we were chatting in there and trying to remember its name when it first opened. I think when it first opened it was a Home Brewery pub. I can remember it changing its name after a while to something to do with the legal profession like the wig and brief, or similar but would like to know the original name when it first opened. Any ideas you old boozers ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the winner

Congratulations on replying to a post which was over 10 years old. That's a new record.

It was called The Bench & Bar, and an excellent boozer to boot! Talking of which, What was the first pub to open in the new Victoria Centre, when it was built in the 70's?

It was called The Bench & Bar, and an excellent boozer to boot!

Talking of which, What was the first pub to open in the new Victoria Centre, when it

was built in the 70's?

• Like 1

Bench and Bar thats it, thanks. Would the Vic Centre one be the New Milton which was where Dixons is now and also had an upstairs room near the bridge over Parliament Street. I remember another one opening up later on at the other end above Smiths but cannot remember the name of that one.

Yes that would be it, The New Milton.

The pub I remember was on its own, some kind of cowboy theme on entry.

Nothing but a big hole in the ground where the Vic Center was gonna be. with this

pub entrance, and you went downstairs, weird. Well was that the one?

I have visions of it being opposite the trinity square car park?

• 2 years later...

I've been thinking about this for the past two years, since my last post?

No the pub with the cowboy theme was not on the south side of the Vic Centre

under the pedestrian bridge. That was the New Milton.

The one I mean with the cowboy theme was on the west side, Milton Street.

It was the first business of the Victoria centre to be opened. It was on two levels,

Street level and a lower level. It was surrounded by the hole that was to be the Victoria centre Car Park. Entry was via cowboy style swing doors.

I believe it was a Berni Inn? (Nottstagia search - Berni Inn)

• Upvote 1
The new Welbeck seems to be favorite to be the one on Milton Street?

Where was each of these pubs?

The New Vic was where Mother-care is now plus it had an upstairs bar ( scruffy hole full of tramps and shoplifters - good if you needed any clobber from Roxy Threads or Limeys half price just go and try it on 1st - then place your order )

The New Welbeck down stairs in between John Lewis and the job centre

The Milton’s Head was opposite Boots upper level where the bridge is that goes from back end of now Peacocks which use to be Fords there was a bar upstairs and sure there was one downstairs .

The Prince Albert was opposite Wilko - was later called the cyber cafe bar with Internet access but know one was interested " the Internet whats that then ? that i'll never take off !!! "

Also you could have got your head kicked in inside and outside think it was Tiffany's later to be Zhivago's nightclub where spec-savers / vision express is now .

I've just realised i should have spent more time at school and not hanging around town since i was not a legal drinker until 1983 !

How the hell would I know where Mothercare is? :Fool:

THe new welbeck would seem favorite with the downstairs aspect.

How long did that last? I dont remember when it dissapeared? Was it a Berni?

Talking of upstairs Bars, What about the Bodega.

Was it their Bogs that were labelled 'Elton John' & 'Olivia Newton John'?

Also you could have got your head kicked in inside and outside think it was Tiffany's later to be Zhivago's nightclub where spec-savers / vision express is now .

I've just realised i should have spent more time at school and not hanging around town since i was not a legal drinker until 1983 !

It was called the INTERCON when it first opened in 1974. 3 levels of dance floors and 'restaurant' - saw Thin Lizzie there - crap live!!

Before INTERCON opened I attended there for interview for DJ Job.

Unfortunately the day I attended, they were interviewing Bar Staff!

But for that, I might have been in Chris Evans shoes today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
In the first draft plan of the Vic Centre the downstairs space that became the New Welbeck was going to be a Berni Inn.

Wasnt the original Welbeck a berni anyway? or at least took over from a Berni already there?

I was far too young to go into PHs inn the very early 70s so it may well be that the New Welbeck operated as a Berni - but it wasn't terribly big.

Maybe someone a little older (you know who you are) can enlighten. If not I can soon find out with a little digging. Berni Inns were listed in the phone book so they'll be in the 71/72 edition.

At the time the New Welbeck opened, you had to go down the steps, the wifes brother was the Manager at the Brittania on Huntingdon Street - early Seventies.

The wife and I used to go to both on a regular mid week basis for the steak and Chateauneauf du Pape. I especially remember the tinned mushrooms - mmmmm lovely smile2

One visit i made to The Welbeck was when i was working on Goldsmith St,in a shop that was formerly Nottingham Tape Recorders (NTR) building glass loudspeakers called the Executive Audio 750, any one own a pair? Anyway, after a long session getting ready a large shipment, and skipping meals in order to get them out on time, we downed tools and the manager offered to take us for a quick nosh there, dressed in somewhat scruffy work clothes,i didnt think we'd be allowed in, but the manager had a word, and soon fish and chips were being scoffed, i didnt actually want that dish, but it was late and they'd turned of those grills or whatever they were that steaks were cooked on. I started to go there fairly frequently, and recall a dish that was steak, with an Italian sauce , washed down with a bottle of Mateus rose! ( dont take the pee, i was young and knew next to nothing about wine!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, i'm a new user.

I came across this site by accident whilst surfing the net (for weeks), to find the name of a regular haunt me and my best buddy used to start off in on a saturday night about 1988-90?

It used to be on milton st (nr. jessop's) and you walked down a set of stairs to it. Now either the stairs or the bar were black and white like piano keys, can't quite remember?.

I think someone refered to it as the 'new welbeck'. can anyone PLEASE help me with the name of this pub...!??!

Cheers.

ps: brilliant site by the way...!!!

Hi everyone, i'm a new user.

I came across this site by accident whilst surfing the net (for weeks), to find the name of a regular haunt me and my best buddy used to start off in on a saturday night about 1988-90?

It used to be on milton st (nr. jessop's) and you walked down a set of stairs to it. Now either the stairs or the bar were black and white like piano keys, can't quite remember?.

I think someone refered to it as the 'new welbeck'. can anyone PLEASE help me with the name of this pub...!??!

Cheers.

ps: brilliant site by the way...!!!

Hey PJ

Lets here some of your memories, to jog ours.

Welcome

This ones not been mentioned my oldest sister tells me that she used to frequent a bar/cafe in the late 60s early 70s on Milton Street possibly before the Victoria center & it was called the " The Whistle Stop " She also says you went down the stairs to it and you sat in like railway carriages , it was the only place that let in the Nottm Skinheads ..................well ?

skinheads.jpg

This ones not been mentioned my oldest sister tells me that she used to frequent a bar/cafe in the late 60s early 70s on Milton Street possibly before the Victoria center & it was called the " The Whistle Stop " She also says you went down the stairs to it and you sat in like railway carriages , it was the only place that let in the Nottm Skinheads ..................well ?

skinheads.jpg

:Friends: Perfectly true Red I too us too on the odd occasion visit that bar and yes you did go down stairs to it, back in the late sixties early seventies I believe.

The steps are still there but not sure whether it’s a bar anymore will take note next time I pass which is at least three times a month that's if I'm sober enough to remember.....Hic!

Bip. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...