Pub Name Wanted

Ayup Radford,,Your'e right about the whistle stop, it was opposite Trinity square car park and under the Vic hotel, I used to go there during lunchbreak from peoples college 68/69/70, some sort of railway theme, you could get double diamond though, The Welbeck thats been spoken about was more or less near the exit from vic center leading on to Glasshouse street, and it did have western style swing doors, bit of a western theme there also a bit rough if memory serves.

Rog

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the winner

Congratulations on replying to a post which was over 10 years old. That's a new record.

It was called The Bench & Bar, and an excellent boozer to boot! Talking of which, What was the first pub to open in the new Victoria Centre, when it was built in the 70's?

This ones not been mentioned my oldest sister tells me that she used to frequent a bar/cafe in the late 60s early 70s on Milton Street possibly before the Victoria center & it was called the " The Whistle Stop " She also says you went down the stairs to it and you sat in like railway carriages , it was the only place that let in the Nottm Skinheads ..................well ?

Nothing there now, only the steps which lead you down to two large locked white doors. Part of the ground floor of the Vic hotel is now a fitness club of which you can see as you walk by.

Bip. :ph34r:

Jesse James and his gang....do what they like, when they like, are in town.

Sheriff S. Green daren't challenge 'em.

Same with Caribbean motorists too...park where you like, when you like - preferably playing loud music.

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Pimcree, as far as im aware,it was the New Welbeck, as i recall it was the only licensed premises at that exact location.

Hi mate,

the name of that bar was 'GERSHWINS' hence the piano key staircase...!!!

at bl@@dy last.

• 1 month later...

The new welbeck was a berni inn next door to chelsea girl (great short cut through there to the old 72/39 bus stop for carlton) you used to be able to see over the changing room doors (cow boy salloon style swing doors )and see the girls getting changed . I know pervert I hear you say, but that could be where you get that cowboy theme from you perve!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 6 months later...

Agree with the general concencus here. The New Welbeck was pretty well opposite Pierre Victiore restaurant (or whatever it's called now). Swing saloon style doors and a few steps down to the bar. Not particuarly well patronised as I recall. I do remember it as a Berni too.

The Milton's head had upstairs and downstairs bars. Downstairs could get pretty busy on a weekend upstairs considerable less so. It was a home Ales bar and latterly some of the clientel left a little to be desired.

The Prince Albert was one of the first pubs I ever went into. It got very tired after initially being really popular. I used to spend more time over the road at The Dog and Partridge. I remember ex-Forest player and FA Cup winner Johnny Quigley was a regular in there on a Friday and Saturday night.

Not sure but has anyone mentioned the pub inside the Victoria Centre - the one at the north end near the escalators and the clock tower entrance?

• 1 year later...
Hi everyone, i'm a new user.

I came across this site by accident whilst surfing the net (for weeks), to find the name of a regular haunt me and my best buddy used to start off in on a saturday night about 1988-90?

It used to be on milton st (nr. jessop's) and you walked down a set of stairs to it. Now either the stairs or the bar were black and white like piano keys, can't quite remember?.

I think someone refered to it as the 'new welbeck'. can anyone PLEASE help me with the name of this pub...!??!

Cheers.

ps: brilliant site by the way...!!!

hi all, thepub you all know as the New Welbeck, became FITZROYS in 1984, about 2 years later i believe it became GERSHWINS hence the piano key stairs. hope that helped! used to drink in the welbeck in the upstairs (street level)bar at lunch when i was on training course at the john lewis shop (JESSOPS)

• 1 year later...

Not a pub I miss, because I never went in it - but a pub which isn't there any longer and I'm curious about it. It was in Vic Centre when the Centre was first built.

There is a pedestrian bridge which goes over Parliament Street (near Boots) from Clinton Street area into Vic Centre. When you've crossed the bridge from Clinton Street you go through an area which just has wall panels all the way along, until you come into the main Vic Centre area with John Lewis on your left.

I think I remember there used to be a pub along that "corridor" where the panels are now. I never went in it because I probably wasn't old enough, but it can't have lasted very long before it closed. What was it called? Are the remains of it still there behind the panels, like those ghost stations on the London Underground?

The Milton's head had upstairs and downstairs bars. Downstairs could get pretty busy on a weekend upstairs considerable less so. It was a home Ales bar and latterly some of the clientel left a little to be desired.

Thanks for that one. Reading the thread all the way back there was obviously more than one pub in that area; I didn't expect the answer to the question might get so complicated. Don't think I've ever had a drink in any of them.

So is there still a ghost pub behind those panels in the upper corridor over the bridge? Or have John Lewis's expanded to fill the space?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

My dad and his girlfriend worked in the Miltons Head for a while in the mid eighties and I was able to get served under age due to this. Whilst at Bath street collage every Friday I would go and get a couple of pints off me dad. Does anyone on here remember a restaurant called The Golden Egg on parliament street in the mid 70s?

Many people can remember Golden Egg restaurants from the 1970s as colourful, cheap and homogenous: the same layout whether you were in Dover or Dundee. However, Philip and Reggie Kaye began the Golden Egg restaurants in the early 1960s and each one was very different. Some had an Italian theme, others Spanish and some pure Hollywood. They were a mixture of coffee bar and moderately priced restaurant: they had separate areas for drinking coffee and eating. Whilst the later Golden Eggs were rather soulless chain restaurants the earliest ones used handmade ceramics and modern materials such as coloured plastics and fibre-glass. Although handmade ceramics in a cheap restaurant chain may seem incongruous, one element of their design is entirely in keeping with Newland's style: colour. In his 1965 book, Mood and Atmosphere in Restaurants, Maclolm Newell writes

• 8 months later...

There is a bar at the entrance to the Broadmarsh Centre on Middle Pavement which was until recently called Cafe Metz but I think it has just changed its name again. Anyway, we were chatting in there and trying to remember its name when it first opened. I think when it first opened it was a Home Brewery pub. I can remember it changing its name after a while to something to do with the legal profession like the wig and brief, or similar but would like to know the original name when it first opened. Any ideas you old boozers ?

Was the Bench and Bar, went there a lot in the 70's and 80's for parties etc..............

Congratulations on replying to a post which was over 10 years old. That's a new record.

Just browsing.............

• 1 year later...