Christmas food.

Firstly - what are you all having fror Christmas food this year?  Traditional goose? Turkey or summat else?

Secondly - one hears a lot about the dreaded Brussels Sprouts at this time of year. Here are a few hints and tips to make them a little more palatable to those who have never tasted a fresh sprout:

Sprouts - the rules for sweet and tasty little treats:

1. Only cook fresh from the parent plant. Sprouts begin to lose their sweetness within a couple of hours after picking and become starchy, resulting in a vaguely green, bitter flavour
2. Only boil lightly and for a few minutes until just softening. Overcooking turns them to a flavouless mush.
3. Eat whilst still hot, with a little salt and cranberry sauce
4. Enjoy.

Beans on toast with grated cheese topping! I don't eat meat and refuse to pander to all this Christmas food hype. I usually enjoy a Christmas pudding, veggie of course, in the summer with cream. 

Those who want to feast are welcome to do so but the amount of food that is wasted over the festering season appals me. Most of my friends ignore Christmas and, one year, two of them packed cheese sandwiches and coffee and climbed Mam Tor to get away from the hype! Good on em, say I!

• Like 3

I always roast the sprouts along with root veg, cut them in half,drizzle with veg oil,sprinkle with salt and black pepper, in a tray and in the oven for an hour  for the last 20 minutes drizzle all thats in the tray, (sprouts,carrots,parsnips, diced spud) with runny honey or balsamic vinegar, Mmmmmm

Rog

• Like 1

Jill: When I was 17 I went down to Southend-on-sea on my scooter and had a tin of cold beans on the end of the pier for my Xmas dinner.  It was probably the best Xmas I have ever had anorl.

• Like 1

Old Phil: Steaming is always best for vegetables in my view.  I have two steamers and use them regularly.  Most people don't seem to use them these days.

19 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Grandma Kate used to watch Philip Harbon and always used to say "I'll bet he hasn't washed his hands!"

I remember him well. He had the worst set of teeth I think I have ever seen. Reminded you of Alec Guinness's Fagin. Deviating slightly into another thread, remember Fanny Craddock? God, wasn't she full of herself.

Always washing my paws Jill, during the course of cooking a meal or sommat it's a wonder I don't wash em away  :rotfl:

Rog

• Like 1

If any of you haven't got the sprouts on yet I wouldn't bother...  Too late now...  :)

Seriously though, I love sprouts and for me there is a point when they just begin to soften, but before they are overcooked, when the flavour really develops.  Same with Cauliflower.  Mrs Col always says I over cook it because she likes it crunchy.. but if you just take it a touch further it loses any bitterness and gets sweet and flavoursome.

Ooops.  Just realised I've broken my own rules.  I usually refuse to acknowledge the existence of Christmas until December at the earliest..  I don't mind the day but the hype from about the end of June onwards get more than a bit wearing.

• Like 1

Love the name 'Fanny'.....not many about nowdays ,...........once caught an old lady shoplifter..........who gave her name as ''Fanny Adams'' then admitted it was not her real name.......and said ''its Fanny by Gaslight''..........still laugh when i think of her,.....bless:biggrin:

• Like 3

With out wanting to put folk off their Xmas dinner...........also caught a few 'Chicken Crutches' as well but never caught a ''Turkey Crutcher''........lol

• Like 2
4 hours ago, plantfit said:

Always washing my paws Jill, during the course of cooking a meal or sommat it's a wonder I don't wash em away  :rotfl:

Rog

"Your hands!  Your hands!  Look what you're doing to your hands" .  I seem to Remember a tv commercial out of the sixties that was for some kind of hand cream.  The poor woman was washing her hands while cooking.  :Shock:

Edited to add..  "Poor old Johnny."   It looks like he got exactly what he deserved.  Lol.

• Like 1
On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:46 PM, Compo said:

one hears a lot about the dreaded Brussels Sprouts at this time of year

Love them raw, hard to get at this time of year down-under.

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:03 PM, Chulla said:

remember Fanny Craddock

What about the immortal line "you too could have Yorkshire puddings like Fannies" or was that an urban myth?

• Like 1

Crikey, I'll look upon them now with a different thought in mind ! 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Rob.L said:

Oz,

What Johnnie was alleged to say was "May all your doughnuts look like Fannie's

Oh, the vagueness of the English language. Perhaps he said 'May all your doughnuts look like Fanny's'. There's some dirty-minded people about.:rotfl:

• Like 1