Christmas food.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/30/2017 at 7:46 PM, Compo said:

Firstly - what are you all having for Christmas food this year? 

We were all set for a traditional Christmas late lunch with all the trimmings on the patio, view of the ocean and a dip in the pool before and after and what is set to be a sunny 26 deg day. Unfortunately, not to be as we have both come down with covid. At the moment, nothing more than the hacking Park Drive/Woodbine cough, headache and aches and pains.

During a quiet moment I took stock of what a sh*t year 2022 was for friends and family

Early in the year I lost my younger brother, even though we were half a world apart we still spoke regularly, discussed good whisky, beer and put the world to rights and it has dawned on me I won't be doing that this year.

We lost a long-time friend from our youth, he was best man at our wedding.

A friend from our early days in Sydney was lost to us too, they were neighbors and ourkids and theirs were in and out of each other's houses all the time.

As you raise you glasses for a Christmas toast please remember a toast to "Absent Friends"

• Upvote 1

We always remember absent friends at Christmas too. I am now the “elderly matriarch” of the McDonald clan after the passing of my two brothers and mum all within 8 years. Still have my nieces and nephews and my own kids who all remember the McDonald humour they have all been brought up with thank goodness. Oztalgian hope despite covid hope you enjoy your Christmas time. My mum used to smoke woodbines back in the day once she’d used up my dads allocation of John Players of course.

I don't celebrate Christmas but I do celebrate the Winter Solstice which occurred on Wednesday. Greenery brought in from the garden and candles lit. Lunch with friends was enjoyed (no meat). Always at that time of year, those who have gone on ahead are remembered, both human and four legged.  Next stop, new year. Joy, health and, above all, peace to all.

I'm not a pagan at all, Phil! I just don't buy into all the Christmas hype and refuse to have anything to do with it.  As for being stark naked...I was sewn into my winter thermals in October and they'll stay put til March (if it's warm enough) ;)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...