Anyone remember or have any info about Bayles and Wylie, I think they were on Moor road Bestwood village area,I've had a look on the search engines but none of the companies they bring up ring any bells with me,(different industries) the reason I ask is my Grandfather who lived on Albert street Bulwell worked there in the 50's/early 60 's as a foreman I believe they were seed merchants or similar,I also seem to remember seeing some sort of silo with their name on it,this could be seen roughly across the railway from where Swingers is/was

Rog

A lot of the mentions in the news archives for the firm in the 30s and 40s seem to mention them being at Forge Mills , Bestwood if that means anything ?

Could possibly be the place,I seem to remember the mention of "bone meal" in a lot of his gardening adventures, he was a keen gardener,he could have bought some of the products home with him

Rog

They were at the bottom of what is now Mill Lane alongside the River Leen. At on stage they had their own railway siding and turntable to shunt wagons into the works. I used to go there as a lad for bags of straw for my rabbits and later for fertilisers. The old mill is still there as is the remains of the mill race but most of the site is now covered by housing.

• Like 1

Fantastic replies,thanks all, as I said earlier my Grandfather was foreman there,don't know how long he worked there but definately the 50's and early part of the 60's, funny how this site seems to jog the memory, mine was jogged by the Nottingham company's title

Rog

I used to walk through the old Bone Mill with my Mum and Dad.  My Dad's parents lived in Bestwood Village and my Mum's parents lived on Bulwell Hall, so it was a convenient and interesting short cut.  I recall the smell.  As you'd expect.. a sort of bonemeal smell.

Col

Smells, smells? I bet some on here can remember the smell from Bitterlings in Sneinton, or the maggot farm on Colwick In Est.... pheww it dint arf whiff

Bit difficult to weigh maggots - or to count them :biggrin: A pint glass with handle is a handy measure and they are free from the pub :rolleyes: I'll be buying a pint of reds today. Club Fur & Feather next w/e and not fished on the canal for some time. A pint of maggots costs less than a pint of beer locally. £2.95 against £3.20.

I'll be checking my pint when in the local later on...........always drink from a 'handle'.

• 4 months later...