Is anyone on here following the Ashes?

As a pom I am embarrassed by this shambles of a team that the England selectors have sent out to contest the Ashes.

Out of 66 million people, some 300,000 play cricket regularly. Is this the best eleven that can be found?

After a disastrous first test in Brisbane with a batting collapse leading to a 10 wicket loss and in the second (day/night) test in Adelaide after the stupidest decision by an England captain in recent years they are now chasing a 442 for 8 dec first innings total.

My comments on the key England players are as follows

Joe Root Capt. - Stupid decision to bowl after winning the toss has probably put this test beyond reach

Moeen Ali - Totally ineffectual, surely cannot hold his place as a bowler for the third test but has done OK as a batsman and may keep his place as a batsman alone.

James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Chris Woakes - Lacking any real penetration, not enough pace and bowing too short for too long. Will struggle to get 20 wickets in any test this season.

Alistair Cook, particularly and several other batsmen desperately need to score some runs and build an innings.

Jake Ball from Nottinghamshire unfortunately failed in both innings of the first test and was dropped

As I write this England are 29 for one wicket, I feel an innings defeat coming on.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

Is anyone on here following the Ashes?

Following them? They might as well scatter them over the Great Barrier Reef and be done with it.

How many things have we invented for other countries to make better use of?

I can feel a thread coming on here (if not unravelling)

Phil

• Like 1

I can't wait for the football world cup.

Credit must go to the England Rugby League team for their performance against Australia in the World Cup Final (ain't that a joke) to hold them to a score of six was a great effort, I expected a thrashing.

• 2 weeks later...

Third Test in Perth is underway England went into this test with the same team! What a joke.........

England 26 for 1 Cook is out for 7, failed again.

Don't just sack most of the team,  most of the selectors need to be fired too.

If England lose this test, and the ashes are gone, (highly likely), for the fourth test why don't the selectors bring over some young talent from the UK, they could not do any worse than this lot.

Agreed Lizzie,

Thanks to a stand of 174 between David Malan 110 n.o. and Jonny Bairstow 75 n.o. England are in with a fighting chance.

Mark Stoneman with 56 did well as he faced some fast hostile bowling early in his innings.

Still need to do something about Cook as an opener though

Oh Dear, Oh Dear,

After a pathetic collapse by the English tail end, (they should have got close to 500)

Now with geriatric bowlers and non spinners it is turning into a shambles. They do not seem to have a clue how to get Steve Smith and Mitch Marsh out.

This bowling attack don't look like they will get 20 wickets in a test this series. Fly some young 'uns out now......

A bit of consistency and the odd touch of brilliance, and we'll all be cheering wholeheartedly !

Pathetic, lost by an Innings and 41 runs after a another capitulation by England's middle and lower order. Only David Malan can truly hold his head high.

If the selectors don't fly out some young blood now they should resign.

Seeing as how you were all riveted by the above....lol.....thought i'd give you best team that Notts could have put out since 1950,............Englishmen only

Hardstaff

Simpson

Broad snr

Robinson

Bolus

Randall

French wk

Hemmings

Swann

Jepson

Broad jnr.............................all played Test cricket except Jepson.........

• Like 1

Ben, Those names brought back some memories of fishing on the River Trent listening to the BBC Test Match Special.

Cricket commentators that could paint pictures with words, you did not need a television, you could "watch " the match on the radio. One name that comes immediately to mind is John Arlott with his soft Hampshire burr. Henry Blofeld in the early 70's had a unique style too and Brian Johnson. That great West Indian commentator Tony Cozier and not forgetting Australia's own Alan McGilvray.

Listen to these and compare them to the clowns we have broadcasting today who seem to forget that on the radio we cannot see the game and that they need to paint the pictures for us.

• Like 1

,Boxing Day and the 4th Test is underway. 94,000 tickets sold

Basically the same England team and guess what, the same result Australia batting 0 for 71, Warner 50 N.O. against an ineffectual England bowling attack

A message to the selectors "What is the definition of stupidity?" Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. What plonkers it is patently obvious that this team is not good enough, make some changes for the Sydney test and the benefit of English cricket.

Thank goodness the Sydney to Hobart race is on at lunchtime to give me a break from the pain.

You're right Ben there must be one somewhere in the UK.

Have a shout down Annesley pit shaft to see if you can find another Harold Larwood or Bill Voce.

At stumps day one Australia 244 for 3 Warner got 103 and Steve Smith is not out 64, I feel another century coming on.

My late friend, Rob 237 must be turning in his grave. He was a cantankerous old boy at the best of times. These current poor showings really must be making him squirm. Probably even putting him off his beer and Parkies ! 

• Like 1

Exactly. We definitely require more skill, but a bit more brawn and raw arrogance wouldn't go amiss. They need roughing up and knocking out of their stride.