Without looking it up i now think Tyson skittled the Aussies down under in 1954, 

And Jim laker took 19 wickets in one match over here ib 1956,

• Like 1

Never a great cricket fan, but I'm DEFINITELY loyal and patriotic. To me, the selectors always seemed to be overly concerned with how many unnecessary Christian names a player had, and whether or not he attended the 'right' school. They spend too much time thinking up childish nicknames for each other. 

• Like 1

To me, the selectors should be renamed Clowners, Buffooners, and Twatters !

I'm impressed with your knowledge Ben. I checked and Wiki says

Third Test vs Australia at Melbourne[edit]

The Third Test cemented the "Typhoon" reputation. He took 2/68 in the first innings and at the end of the fourth day Australia needed 240 to win and were 75–2, with Tyson on 1/11. Over 50,000 Australian fans came on the fifth day to see Neil Harvey and Richie Benaud knock off the remaining 165 runs, but what they got was 'the fastest and most frightening sustained spell of fast bowling seen in Australia'.[28] as Tyson took 6/16 off 6.3 overs from the Richmond End. His 7/27 in the innings was his best Test innings analysis, the best by an England bowler in Australia since Wilfred Rhodes took 8/68 in 1903–04 and has not been bettered since. Australia added only 36 runs, were dismissed for 111 and England won by 128 runs. The game finished well before lunch and the caterers were left with thousands of unsold pies when the crowd deserted the ground.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Oz, as a kid i was cricket daft,last few years ive largly lost interest, think there are too many competions in interbational and the domestic games, 

Used to look forward to tests against Australia, now they seem to be playing them all the time, 

My interest started with grandad taking me to trent bridge early 50s,

• Upvote 1

Well at least Notts CCC won three trophies last season which was phenomenal and should bode well for the future locally. 

Australia all out 327, their lower order did an England and collapsed.

Much better bowling performance by Anderson and Broad. Woakes did OK and Tom Curran bagged the crucial breakthrough wicket of Steve Smith.

Still wondering how Moeen Ali keeps his place.

Cook must fire this time for England to have half a chance of getting near Australia's score.

• 2 weeks later...

Final test at the SCG thank goodness, England batted first and a reasonable score of 346. Could have been more but Root blundered by not putting in a night watchman after he was dismissed.

After an early wicket Khawaja and Smith ground  a totally ineffectual  England bowling "attack" into the SCG turf.

Smith just out for 83, C&B Ali. Lunch Aus 277 for 3

The selectors made no significant changes and guess what the same dismal performance, we can only hope to catching Australia on a deteriorating wicket on day five.

Well, well Australia declare with a first innings lead of 303. England are now battling to avoid an innings defeat.

England - Can't bat, can't bowl, can't field, poor captaining, and woeful selectors, other than that quite a reasonable attempt at retaining the ashes.

Poothetic.

• 1 year later...

Just as I was looking forward to the Barmy Army taking the pi$$ out of Steve Smith and David Warner, if selected, over "sandpapergate" in the upcoming Ashes series England go into collapso cricket mode. All out for 77 against the Windies.

After 43 years here I still cannot bring myself to support Australia when playing the Poms but I am really fed up with getting hammered every game.

Think I'll be following the English Netball team if I want any chance of a victory against the Australians.

• Upvote 1